The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 3, 2017, 04:00 AM   #1
Hal

What guns were used in Las Vegas shooting?

I'm only interested in what guns were used.
Period.
No what if's - no political comments - just what guns were used.

I've listened to the videos & it sure sound like a full auto.
Several of the news agencies have mentioned full auto.
A few have mentioned "conversions".

I would really like to know.

NOT OUT OF MORBID CURIOSITY!!

I need to know so I can discuss this with some intelligent and informed & pertinent information, not just the same old "people -not guns" response.

I figure if anywhere will have this type of information, it would be a forum dedicated to spreading truth, not rumors, about gun issues.
Old October 3, 2017, 04:46 AM   #2
UncleEd

To be sure, rifles that accept high cap magazines.

Whether full auto capable or using one of three or all types of
rapid fire actuators, the result was the same.

And that's where the debate will head if or when state legislatures or
Congress address the matter.

Also, any debate is likely to spill over into the area of handgun
capacities as well.
Old October 3, 2017, 05:01 AM   #3
shooterdownunder

At least one news report says that two of the rifles were equipped with bumpfire stocks
Old October 3, 2017, 05:29 AM   #4
TJB101

223 and 308 were mentioned on the news
Old October 3, 2017, 06:35 AM   #5
Scoits

Vegas

What is a bump fire stock?
Old October 3, 2017, 06:40 AM   #6
Don P

It is a stock that slides forward and backwards and with some practice with regards to finger to trigger placement the recoil of the rifle will engage your trigger finger with the trigger simulating and giving the effect of a full automatic rifle.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 3, 2017, 06:41 AM   #7
Hal

Quote:
Whether full auto capable or using one of three or all types of
rapid fire actuators, the result was the same.
True - but - you know that & I know that, but, the fact that full auto is so heavily regulated and costly came as a real surprise to 3 of the retired women I talked with this morning while swimming.
They had no idea - - and - two of the three are in no way opposed to guns.

Quote:
At least one news report says that two of the rifles were equipped with bumpfire stocks
That's exactly the type of information I need.
On Facebook, the posts are littered with the usual fallacy that "you can go into any gun show, plunk your money down, and walk out with a machine gun".
Which those of us here know is way more false than it is true.

The other comments I see are that "he converted a gun to a machine gun with parts you can get from Amazon".
Which - in one respect it totally false.
On the other hand, if indeed he did equip the guns with a bumpfire device, then there's a shred of truth involved - -but - -not anywhere near the real truth.

Amazon does sell a bumpfire trigger, but, it's for a framing nailer, not a rifle.
Old October 3, 2017, 06:44 AM   #8
Don P

Hal, as of the morning news the idiots reporting have no idea of what they are talking about. FOX news included. I would wait for the sheriff briefing to see if the divulge that info. They did state AR-15 and that is was modified to run full auto. I take that with a grain of salt
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 3, 2017, 07:11 AM   #9
Rob228

There is nothing reliable in the news right now. An article from the Washington Post entitled "weapons used" said "AR-15 and AK-47 type rifles" but then went on to quote specs for M249 and M240 MG's.
Old October 3, 2017, 07:13 AM   #10
Rob228

The media is also making a big deal out of the tripods he utilized. So when I think of a rifle or machine gun on a tripod, the tripod is there to mitigate recoil. A bump fire stock with a rifle locked into a hog saddle or similar apparatus wouldn't work.
Old October 3, 2017, 08:18 AM   #11
Bartholomew Roberts

Bumpfire stocks can work from trippods. Google "bumpsaw" for some examples. However, I read last night that one of the tripods had a camera on it and filming the shooter's point of view of the attack. So, the trippods may not have been used for rifles. After all, it is a two acre target filled with 20,000 people at 400m max from a 32 story elevated position. You could lay rounds in bumpfiring a 1911 with your belt loop in that situation.

I've read the specific types of rifles were Daniel Defense DDM4s, FN15s, and unspecified SIG rifles, and as reported two bumpstocks.

Just saw two pictures of the room showing two AR15s, one with a 100rd Surefire mag and a bumpstock. Can't find the source but it has a "Boston25" watermark on it and shows an AR15 with bumpstock, Surefire mag, EOtech and foregrip (no tripod) and an AR15 with scope, PMAG and bipod.

Same source also shows a hammerless snubby in frame with the deceased shooter, so it appears to be valid.

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; October 3, 2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old October 3, 2017, 08:53 AM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

AR-15s and several "assault weapon" style rifles in .308. One report that I think was from the sheriff's department and may be somewhat accurate:

Quote:
21 rifles found in the room, 308 and 5.56 caliber. 13 suitcases full of ammo, magazines and guns. 90 lbs of Tannerite. 14 more rifles at home. From the pictures I have at least one rifle was equipped with a bump fire stock. I also counted 15 high capacity magazines laying around stacked on the floor, and a suitcase full of standard capacity magazines.
Old October 3, 2017, 08:56 AM   #13
Bartholomew Roberts

90lbs of Tannerite? Sounds like he wasn't planning to use the snubby.
Old October 3, 2017, 09:46 AM   #14
Bartholomew Roberts

Essentially, any semiautomatic weapon can be bumpfired. You just hold your finger in one position and push the gun against your finger (you "bump" the gun against your finger with a steady forward pressure) As the gun recoils against your finger, the trigger releases the hammer or striker and the next round fires as fast as the firearm cycles. The difficulty to doing this is holding your finger in a steady position while pushing the gun against it with a steady pressure while it fires. A bumpstock just makes this easier but it was common to see people use belt loops to do this trick before bumpstocks existed.

Until now, it has mostly just been a way to spend a lot of money on ammo in a short amount of time and occasionally launch rounds over the berm as aiming is a challenge.
Old October 3, 2017, 10:01 AM   #15
UncleEd

The AR15s have often been sold as "Sporting Rifles" and not automatic rifles.

Because large cap mags were easily fitted to the AR, the temptation has always
been there to make it not a "sporting" firearm but an "assault" firearm.

The devices like the bumpstock and gat crank let AR owners become GI Joes and Grunts.

That's my take on the ARs and and the multitude of attachments that could
be locked onto them---the Erector Set of firearms.
Old October 3, 2017, 10:26 AM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEd
The AR15s have often been sold as "Sporting Rifles" and not automatic rifles.
AR-15s have never been sold as automatic rifles, because they are not automatic rifles.
Old October 3, 2017, 11:04 AM   #17
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
90lbs of Tannerite? Sounds like he wasn't planning to use the snubby.
+1. WaPo is reporting that he shot a security guard in the leg through the door shortly before the room was stormed by SWAT. I surmise that his plans to (quite literally) go out in a blaze of glory were interrupted; shooting through the door would blatantly give away his position, and whether or not he hit the guard—which he likely had no way to know—it would be reasonable to assume that the door would be kicked down within seconds.
Old October 3, 2017, 11:23 AM   #18
Nanuk

Lets put this into perspective. The night club shooting in Florida accounted for 49 deaths, much smaller venue. The Las Vegas shooting, 600 +/- killed or injured out of 20,000 people trapped in a kill zone.

The bump fire stocks were counter productive.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 3, 2017, 12:12 PM   #19
Bartholomew Roberts

Link to photos of hotel room and weapons from Fox 25 Boston:
http://www.fox25boston.com/news/only...guns/618716556

The scoped AR may be a .308 action. Tough to tell from the angle; but looks like an AR10 PMAG next to it.
Old October 3, 2017, 12:35 PM   #20
Hal

Let's just stick with what guns were used & what, if any, modifications had been done to them.

Thanks!
Old October 3, 2017, 12:36 PM   #21
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk
The bump fire stocks were counter productive.
NOT a good talking point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
The scoped AR may be a .308 action. Tough to tell from the angle; but looks like an AR10 PMAG next to it.
+1 – and do those look like nickel-plated cases to you? I wonder what kind of ammo that was. If it's nickel, it's presumably not military.
Old October 3, 2017, 12:46 PM   #22
JoeSixpack

Looks like ar15 to me, the ammo could be zinc plated
EX: https://www.targetsportsusa.com/mfs-...mj-p-3249.aspx

The mag looks like a sure fire quad stack.. they flare out at the bottom.. 100 rounds
http://www.surefire.com/mag5-100.html

we all know the stock is a slide fire bump stock.. those are as good as banned I predict.
Old October 3, 2017, 01:07 PM   #23
FITASC

How was he able to get all of the equipment up there without arising ANY suspicion from employees or guests?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 3, 2017, 01:12 PM   #24
UncleEd

QUOTE: AR-15s have never been sold as automatic rifles, because they are not automatic rifles. UNQUOTE

Aguilla Blanca,

I'll give you a "semi." Is that good enough?

Good grief!
Old October 3, 2017, 01:16 PM   #25
Onward Allusion

Quote:
How was he able to get all of the equipment up there without arising ANY suspicion from employees or guests?
Thru garage?