The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 6, 2015, 05:28 PM   #1
Boogershooter

Favorite I once shot a _ with a _ stories.

I have many stories to tell but I'm gona start off with a story my son did last night. The dogs we're barking at 10:30 last night and I thought I heard some yotes howling. I got up and grabbed the 22-250. My oldest heard me so he said dad I want to shoot. Got outside it was a armodillo. After the shot we went to look at the damage. On the off side there was no shell left just a head, some slush inbetween, then the tail still intact. He woke up early this morning wanting to call his papaw, his buddies, and uncle to tell them how powerful the gun is. He's been telling everybody he's seen today and can't wait to shoot something else. Never figured out whathat the howling was from.
Old August 6, 2015, 07:53 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Y'all only saw the 'dillo, but that doesn't mean that something like a coyote wasn't in the vicinity.

Way back sixty-some years ago, all I had was an '06. My jackrabbit load was an 80-grain .32-20 bullet ahead of 55 grains of 3031. Close to 4,000 ft/sec at the muzzle. A center hit on a jackrabbit was pretty much "dis-assembly". Definitely ruinacious.
Old August 6, 2015, 08:30 PM   #3
Boogershooter

Last year had a young yote about 50 yards headed directly away from me. A texas stove pipe shot with 300 wsm 150gr ballistic Silvertip completely made a conoe out of him.
Old August 6, 2015, 11:09 PM   #4
taylorce1

I once shot several prairie dogs with a .50 cal patched round ball. It was how I got ready for deer season. Farthest pasture poodle was probably just over 60 yards. The round ball didn't do much damage but it sure folded them up.
Old August 6, 2015, 11:44 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Forest grouse in flight.
Scoped .444 Marlin rifle.
Home-brew shot shell (legal).
Big smiles from everyone present.
Old August 6, 2015, 11:55 PM   #6
Boogershooter

I once shot a 120 hog coming straight up the creek to me with a 20 gauge slug. Shot it just in the wrong spot. Too far below the eyes basically thru the mouth. It ran around squealing for several minutes before i got a second finishing shot. I still have the skull mount and makes a great conversation piece.
Old August 7, 2015, 09:33 AM   #7
DAVID NANCARROW

Was at the range one day with my deer hunting buddy, getting the rifles zero'd for the annual deer hunt.
Was doing well and so was my buddy, until a dillo came out from the tall grass. Couldn't resist-smacked it with a 165 grain 308 and splattered it all over his target.

Buddy said he had wanted to save his target...until then
Old August 7, 2015, 10:10 AM   #8
Nathan c

I was back at my dad's and I put my cross hairs on a deer shot seen deer run, then stop I shot a gen well off run a deer.
I whent in side and was all mad. I was like how in the he'll did I miss that deer x2. My dad was just a grening at me. He just told me just get some coffee and in a bit we will go out with a target and see what happened check the 0. So we shot a bit every thing was on
Well about then the guy that lives on the hill above my dad came over. He sead hay do you won't your deer. Lol so I whent over and looked there was a dead deer right where I shot him. He fell right in to a ditch. What I seen was a 2nd deer run off in my scope. So I was like well that 2nd one I had put the crosshairs on the same sspot. So I walked over and there layer a 2nd deer died where I shot him and had fell behind a big log. Lol
So I thought I missed the same deer x2 but killed 2 different deer lol
Old August 7, 2015, 10:46 PM   #9
Crankylove

Quote:
Forest grouse in flight.
Scoped .444 Marlin rifle.
Home-brew shot shell (legal).
Big smiles from everyone present.
True story. I witnessed that shot, and still can't believe he made it.
Old August 8, 2015, 01:59 AM   #10
979Texas

Well I actually have several of these stories, but its late so I'm just going to post one for now. My favorite, I once shot a pack of nutrias with a .35 Remington Game Master pump with 200 grain ballistic tips at nearly point blank range. The story goes, way back in 10th grade me and my childhood best friend were hog hunting on a private 4,000 acre ranch way down deep in the Navasota River bottoms in Northern Grimes County, near Iola, Texas.

Anyway me and my buddy were riding around these levy's near the river on a Yamaha Rhino, we were hunting hogs at the time but not much luck that day after school and they had been having lots of problems with nutrias in their levy's which they used for duck hunting purposes. So we are just riding along and we spot a big family of nutrias playing on the bank and in the water of the levy that we are riding along side of.

I was armed with a NEF single shot youth model .243 mounted with a 3-9 scope and an ancient .35 Remington Game Master pump with open sights. My buddy only had a lever action .243 with a 3-9 scope. So we instantly stopped and jumped out guns blazing as soon as we saw the nutrias. The first one I shot was on the bank just 5 yards from me. I hit him square in the nose with a 200 grain .35 Remington ballistic tip. The shot literally split him in half from his nose to the base of his tail. He looked like a perfectly butterflied fillet whole nutria. It was nuts it looked like someone had took a knife and just split him open length ways about halfway through the depth of his body and then just spread him open just like you would if you were doing a butterfly fillet of a chicken breast or a center cut beef tenderloin or a thick bone in pork chop, but this was a whole entire nutria.

Then the next two I shot were just still 5 yards away on the bank but I hit them broadside in the guts and I blew one into multiple pieces and the other one was only held together by his bare spine. But the craziest one came on my last shot. This nutria was in the water about 7 yards in front of me so I popped him right behind the head in his neck. But when I squeezed the trigger and the gun went off the nutria simply disapeared but I was positive that I hit him, so I'm just scanning the water looking down my gun barrel just waiting to pop another shot off when the nutria resurfaced.

Then about 15 seconds later the craziest thing happened. I was still scanning the water as I had never lifted my head up from my gun since the last shot and then all of a sudden 15 seconds after I had shot at the last nutria he came falling from the air and splashed into the water in front of me. I was bewildered and my friend just busted out laughing. The impact of that big heavy bullet at such close range on such a small animal floating in the water had literally blown him out of the water and into the air. It was one of the funniest things ever hunting.

My friend also busted 2 nutrias with his .243 in that session. Also years later I busted a big ole nutria in a pond on my parents cattle ranch with my .300 Blackout AR-15 with 110 grain Hornady Ballistic tips. I had to shoot him twice though and it put huge holes in him and his intestines were completely hanging out his body.

Also I have shot a coon under a deer feeder at 75 yards with a .243 100 grain core lokt. I shot him twice also. The first shot took out his entire guts. But he was still kickin but after the second shot there was only a head, tail, some legs, and some bones all barely attached. Crazy times but the nutria in the air is my favorite.

Last edited by Art Eatman; August 8, 2015 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Paragraphs!
Old August 8, 2015, 09:27 AM   #11
SARuger

I once shot a groundhog, one shot in the head, with a Winchester 190, CCI Stinger, 220 yards, sitting in my truck, as a teenager. All with a little Tasco 4-7 scope on it. I could barely see darn thing. I just held it over and squeezed it. The hog fell over dead, done, stick a fork in him, dead!

It was a lucky shot but I had my dad as a witness and thats all that matters
Old August 8, 2015, 09:42 AM   #12
buck460XVR

This year early in my turkey season, I slipped in within a hundred yards of a roosted Tom and his hens. He aggressively answered my soft tree yelps and fly-down cackles, but when he flew down he went straight towards the neighbors field 1000 yards away, while his female companions came to me. I was able to keep the hens around me for almost half an hour until they finally tired of trying to find the source of my calls and wandered down the ridge away from the constantly gobbling Tom, leaving me directly between me and him. Reluctantly and ever so slowly he made his way towards me stopping to gobble and display every 20 yards or so. After a half hour of this he finally crawled under the fence 100 yards away, made it to the dugway and proceeded in full strut in my direction. With the rising morning sun to my back, I could see his horsetail like beard swinging below his chest and his iridescent feathers shimmered every time he Spit-drummed. As he got within 20 yards I could see there was good curve to his spurs indicating he was probably 4-5 years old. When he reached an opening about 12 yards away I drew him outta strut with a loud cluck and as his head stretched out looking for me after he made his answering gobble, I pulled the trigger on the old Mossburg that has collected more than 50 beards over the years. After the resounding shotgun blast, for a good ten seconds we both stared at each other in disbelief that he was still alive and standing. I never took a follow up as he was running away by the time I came to my senses.

The next morning I took what I believe was the same bird from another setup on the other side of the field, a good 1000 yards away or so from where I missed him the day before. This time he stayed close to his hens and never got farther than 15 yards from them. I was completely surrounded when I shot him @ 20 yards. But still, the memory of that morning before, when everything I did but the shot worked perfectly, burnt deeper.
Old August 8, 2015, 10:14 AM   #13
jdscholer

While walking down an old dirt track road, a silver grey squirrel flushed and took off running straight down the track. I drew my Ruger Single-six and waited for it to stop. When he was about a hundred yards out and gave no sign of stopping, I cracked off with a "Hail-Mary" shot, and hit about three feet behind the squirrel.-- BUT-- the bullet ricocheted, hit the squirrel, and killed him. Sometimes lucky works better than skilled. jd
Old August 8, 2015, 12:25 PM   #14
samsmix

I was out looking for a whitetail doe with my .50 BP Side lock, when a doe gets up and runs straight away from me down a trail. I'm riding her with the sight but nothing but arse to shoot at. There was a tree down across the trail about 40 yards out, and the world seemed to be in slow motion. A lightbulb went on in my brain: she's gonna jump!
Well she jumped over the tree going straight away, and as she hit the peak of her jump I held as far under her as the tree would allow, and placed a round ball in the belly just below the ribs, which went forward and up (in relation to her body) taking the heart and one lung, and coming to rest over the top of her front most portion of front shoulder. Sort of where the neck, shoulder and front end of back strap meet. She made it about 40 more yards and piled up dead.

Given time to consider it, there is NO WAY I would attempt that shot again, but all's well that ends well.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?

Last edited by samsmix; August 8, 2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old August 8, 2015, 01:48 PM   #15
Panfisher

A smallish snapping turtle I caught fishing in a pont, at a range of about 6 feet, hot reloaded .357 mag 110 gr hp.

Also same pond a carp with a 7 Mag. Use what you got.
Old August 8, 2015, 03:46 PM   #16
Rembrandt

Killed an Antelope in hand to hand combat with only a hunting knife.....true story.

Don't have time to go into all the details now, but our guide said he'd never seen anything like it 45 years of hunting.
Old August 8, 2015, 11:27 PM   #17
Boogershooter

Panfisher I love to turtle fish as much as hunt anything else in this world. Reason being snapping turtle is some of the best meat n the world and as expensive as kobe beef down here n louisanner. Try it sometime please. U will have another iron n the fire and some great eating too.
Old August 9, 2015, 12:57 AM   #18
Radny97

Hunting deer with my dad and brother about 22 years ago. My dad hit a big muley with his 300 savage that ran into some real thick pines. Went down to see if we could find some blood trail but nothing. Searched for a short while and all of a sudden my brother saw the buck coming through the trees at my dads back. Not bounding but running flat, head down and antlers out. My brother tackled my dad out of the way. The deer ran another thirty feet and fell dead. It had been hit but laid down and then attacked with its last strength when we got too close. I now always keep my gun up and ready when following blood trail.
Old August 9, 2015, 05:34 AM   #19
Jack O'Conner

In 1981, I was stationed overseas with USAF but came back to the States to visit my folks who lived near Wintersville, Ohio. Deer season was just opening but the only firearm I could borrow was Grandad's antique single shot in 16 gauge with full choke. I called around and located a box of buckshot. Dad posted me in an oak tree about 50 yards from the edge of an apple orchard. Shortly before dusk some deer walked down the trail single file about 15 yards from my position. I shot the largest doe in the head and neck and it dropped so fast that I thought I'd missed. Several of the round balls hit where I'd aimed. I've never hunted with buckshot since.

Jack
Old August 9, 2015, 04:28 PM   #20
samsmix

Out of distaste for buckshot, or just had better options?

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old August 10, 2015, 10:33 PM   #21
Boogershooter

Many moons ago my dad bought me a model 70 featherweight classic in 308. On opening morning a decent 8 pt walked in front of the stand just on the far side of a Lil hill. When I finally pulled the trigger the deer disappeard. As I was in the middle of a panic attack thinking I missed my first good buck, I noticed a very thin line of steam rising above where I shot. Dad had told me to stay in the stand if I shot. When the steam stopped and he still wasn't there I just couldn't stand it no more. When I got over the hump to see where the steam was coming from and to look for blood, my deer was laying there. I've never seen it again but I dream of that hunt on those cold crisp mornings.
Old August 11, 2015, 11:13 AM   #22
rickyrick

I once shot "a skunk in a PVC pipe" with a ".223"

The blast entered the pipe and it all blow up.
Old August 11, 2015, 12:35 PM   #23
Saltydog235

Shot a feral cat at about 10 yards with a 300wby and 180grn Nosler BT over about 84grns of 7828. That kitty was following the wrong covey of quail. Fluffy got turned inside out.

Had a 60-70lb barrcuda hit one of my nice jigs. The moron on the boat dropped my boga grip overboard when the fish snapped. I shot the fish with a .357 I keep on board. Got my jig back and fed the carcass to the tiger sharks.

When I was a teenager on my third deer drive I had a doe almost run me over. I say almost because at about 5 yards I let her have a dose of #1 buck that peeled the top of her head off leaving her ears. Note: I wasn't aiming so much as trying to get out of the way.
Old August 24, 2015, 11:40 PM   #24
Prof Young

Shot a wasp . . .

I shot a wasp that had landed on my target back board with a scoped Beretta Neos at about seven yards. Well, I think I shot it, no remains to be found, I didn't see it fly off. :-)
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old August 25, 2015, 01:17 AM   #25
Boogershooter

Prof Young your story reminds me of a day on the range when the yellow jackets we're just horrible. A couple of the kids had already been stung trying to swat them off their drinks. I don't remember who but one of us had the bright idea to set all the half drank cokes at 25 yards. We then loaded up our 22's and had some of the best range days ever. We even set up a sheet of plywood behind them so we could see better. 40 grains of lead is the best yellow jacket/wasp spray there is.