The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 10, 2013, 06:08 PM   #1
TailGator

New gun control compromise

The TV network news is touting the new bipartisan compromise gun control bill that is going to be debated by the senate tomorrow. The news reports say that the bill eliminates the exemptions for background checks for gun shows and internet sales, but continues to allow face to face sales without background checks.

What am I missing? There was no exemption for gun shows or internet sales to begin with. So what is changing? Am I the only one confused? Is there anything to oppose in this legislation? Did we get a freebee here, as in the gun control advocates think they got something but they really didn't?
Old April 10, 2013, 06:14 PM   #2
xLPlushy

New gun control compromise

I'd like to know the language of this "deal" that my "pro-gun" senator Toomey worked up. He got a very nasty bout of daily letters from me over the past week or so. And all us Pennsylvanians thought that Casey was a threat.....

Subscribing to this one
Old April 10, 2013, 06:28 PM   #3
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
The news reports say that the bill eliminates the exemptions for background checks for gun shows and internet sales, but continues to allow face to face sales without background checks.
So, if some guy has a table at a gun show selling his personal collection, we now have to walk to a FFL to run the background check?

But if I see some guy walking around with a gun for sale, and I want it, now we drive across the street to Denny's and make the transaction?

Yes, I can definitely see how this law would have prevented Sandy Hook.
Old April 10, 2013, 06:36 PM   #4
BillCnKC

TailGator--

I oppose the potential legislation because it does nothing to address the problem of the mentally ill buying guns. It is just more legislation for the sake of legislation. It will make the left feel good until they start their next incremental push to remove firearms from all Americans. I pray our senators have the courage to stop this legislation cold. We will know tomorrow.

--Bill
Old April 10, 2013, 06:40 PM   #5
NWPilgrim

What I read is that private sales would not require records to be kept, but the implication is that you would still be required to go to an FFL to have a background check performed.

But you cut to the real issue: If this is not doing anything harmful then why is there a bill at all? The fact they are not forthcoming on the details while making a lot of promises "we are not taking your guns", deserves a healthy dose of skepticism if not paranoia.

The politicians are ANXIOUS, DESPARATE to prove they "care" and will "do something". They demonstrate their craven need for popular accolade even at the expense of a fundamental human right, and one enshrined y our Bill of Rights. They are pathetic.

At least the NRA is stately flatly that none of these proposed bills will prevent any more crime, and they oppose them.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old April 10, 2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Evan Thomas

We don't need to have multiple threads on this topic; let's keep discussion of the developments with this legislation in the main thread in Law and Civil Rights: S.649: Reid's Base Gun Control Bill. Feel free to bring your concerns to that thread; if you read it, you may find they're already part of the conversation.