The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 26, 2013, 07:01 PM   #26
1911Tuner

Hookers

Quote:
I read hammer hooks and thought,two functional hooks.
A matter of terminology.

Quote:
You only ground the full cock hooks.
Never use the word "grind" in the same sentence with 1911!

I used a Swiss file to get'em started, and finished with a medium India stone, and deburred with a square ceramic stone.

On the captive half-cock modification...

The old AMU Bullseye armorers used to cut the sides of the notch away, leaving the center portion so that in the event of a hammer followdown, only the center part of the sear would impact...protecting the finely-honed engagement surfaces on the crown. There are a couple of aftermarket vendors who have their hammers made with that modification.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:17 PM   #27
polyphemus

Never.How's grinding steel to .0002" tolerances?Yours truly did that day in and
day out for a living.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:20 PM   #28
1911Tuner

Tools

Quote:
Never.How's grinding steel to .0002" tolerances?
Excellent! I'm a toolmaker by trade...retired...so I can sympathize.

Actually, I was woofin' ya. A surface grinder is a useful machine tool in a full-service smith's shop.
Old January 26, 2013, 08:05 PM   #29
orionengnr

OP:
Consider yourself lucky that you have the choice of the Norincos. We can no longer import them, so the ones already here are no longer the bargain they were.
Four or five years ago a co-worker received one from his brother. He said the barrel had been "shot out"--there was no rifling. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. He said he was going to sell it and buy a Kimber.
I asked him if I could have a look. I took it down, and it looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the day it was made. Okay, I exaggerate...but only a little.
As I scrubbed the barrel with a brush with some Chore-Boy copper strands wrapped around it, a bunch of lead came out. When I was done, the barrel looked fine.
Shot fine, too. I don't shoot like some here, but the first five rounds made a cloverleaf from 20 feet.
He's had it ever since, and won't sell it. Been kicking myself in the butt ever since.
Take a good look at that Norinco, then grab it.
Old January 26, 2013, 08:39 PM   #30
pat701

The Mags.