The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 21, 2012, 05:15 AM   #1
1warewolfhntr

light loads

looking to make some light loads for for my nephew he has never shot rifle (centerfire)and is small framed .is it better to load a heavier bullet or a lighter bullet.i plan on reducing powder to lightest i can for my 6mm to make it easy and enjoyable for him.
Old October 21, 2012, 05:27 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

recoil IS science

Lighter bullet, lower charge weight.
Old October 21, 2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Mule

If the ammo is for plinking, try to find some cast bullets. You can load them pretty mild with Unique or Red Dot. I am doing exactly that with a 308.
Old October 21, 2012, 10:26 PM   #4
highbrow

My son shot his first deer with a .308 Win using a 125gr SP and 21gr 2400. Probably 2000fps. DRT at 125 yds. Very minimal recoil or muzzle blast.

There are some corners of this country which have bred the most terrible things, things that act against everything we believe in. They must be fought. FBHO- Free Edward Snowden
Old October 22, 2012, 07:06 AM   #5
Gdawgs

You can use Trail Boss powder with any bullet you like and it will be an easy shooter.

You don't even need any load data.

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf
Old October 22, 2012, 07:08 AM   #6
jwrowland77

H4895 is great for reduced loads as well. My daughter has shot well over 200 rounds of reduced recoil loads using H4895 without any issues. I have gradually increased the load I use for her so now I am around a start load. YMMV.
Old October 24, 2012, 04:51 AM   #7
Mike / Tx

^^^

Similar loads only for my oldest grandson when he was only 3.5yrs old.

go look up the Reduced Rifle Loads on the Hodgdon site. It has specific instructions on how to reduce any load listed using H-4895.

I used the redced 125gr load for my grandson when he got it in his head he wanted to shoot himself a hog not long after his 3rd birthday. He practiced with it all summer long from a 6.5# Ruger Compact, and opening weekend of that deer season he dropped his hog.

Like was mentioned the great thing about using this particular data is that you can creep the charge weight up a little at a time all the way up to the standard max load level if wanted. I found with the grandson's loads that bumping it up in small increments had very little if any change to the accuracy. He is now 10 and shooting standard powdered loads form several rifles, and I am starting out working with his two younger brothers, 6 & 4. So far neither of them are quite as gung ho about the whole deal. LOL
Old October 24, 2012, 12:12 PM   #8
rodfac

Try a lighter than normal bullet the caliber, and a starting level powder charge. That's worked for me over the years sometimes with surprising accuracy results. Be aware that a sight change will almost certainly be called for.

2400 or 4759 are a good powders to try in most deer hunting calibers of the non-magnum persuasion: .30-30, .32 Special, 300 Savage, 30-06, 30 carbine, .30-40 Krag, 270 etc. Velocities down in the 1500-1600 fps range shoot well and are easy on the shoulder of an inexperienced shooter...and very accurate out to 100 yds too. Muzzle blast is minimized as well....making the experience more fun for all.

For powder puff loads with .22 lr recoil, Unique works well, but at 50 yards or less ranges. Commercially cast bullets are another option...I've had good luck with Missouri Bullets gas-checked ones for any of the above cartridges.

HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 25, 2012, 02:35 AM   #9
1warewolfhntr

thanks for the ideas shooters
Old October 31, 2012, 09:41 PM   #10
kilotanker22

I agree with most of the posts here. H4895 should work very well. However be very wary if you try to use slower powders with light charge weights. Seems a little odd but in the 6 mm and the 243 light charges of slower powder cause very high pressure increases.

Stick with the lighter powders mentioned above and you will be dandy.