9mm

How far do scopes go, 4-16x 3-9x ? please help

I am looking at buying either this
http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Banne.../dp/B004NK8SFM
$115 scope 4-16x

or

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Banne...bushnell+scope
$80 scope 3-9x

I like it for 200 yards on a 22lr but no idea what the ranges would be on a 4-16x over a 3-9x?

Thanks
Old June 11, 2012, 06:38 PM   #2
9mm

Also these pretty good choices? I looked for a while and this price range, was a pretty good deal.
Old June 12, 2012, 05:49 PM   #3
10-96

I'm not sure we're all on the same sheet of music as far as "How far do scopes go". The 16 power scope by all rights should increase the magnification 7 times more than the 9 power scope. That does not mean the target or object of peepage is 7 times larger, just 7 times more magnifyed. Neither one will make the rifle shoot farther, it will simply let you see the target in larger magnification. Unless you get frequent days with zero wind- I'm not too sure how that 200yd plan will work with a .22lr, but you may have a knack for it.

Bushnell Banners are their budget line. I'm guessing the crosshairs will be kinda broad unless your target is quite large. And with the scopes you mention- you'll have no idea if you're even on paper unless you have a pretty decent spotting scope or you walk to the target line pretty frequently. They have been around for quite a few years, and have held up well for even the guys shooting larger centerfires. If you are on a budget- they are functional.

Edit: If that is pretty much the top of your budget- I would like to humbly suggest you take a peek at the Mueller line of scopes.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 12, 2012, 09:14 PM   #4
Justice06RR

I own the Bushnell 3-9x40 with the 6inch eye relief. Its an excellent scope and the glass is very clear at all magnifications. The 6-inch eye relief is amazing and provides plenty of room. The other model you posted only has a 3.3inch eye relief which is ok, but too short in my experience.

The 3-9 would be perfect for 100-150yards, but at 200yards it might be a bit of a stretch especially for a 22lr. I have mine mounted on a 5.56 AR15 which makes about the same size holes and I can see it well at the 9x magnification. For 200yards the 4-16 scope would serve you better, if you can hit it with your rifle at that distance.
Old June 12, 2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Skimp

I mounted a CenterPoint 4-16x40mm Scope with adjustable objective on my Mossberg 702 and can knock them at 100 yard fairly good. I purchased it at the local Walmart for $69.00. I am going to get another to mount on the Hi Point 4595TS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Center.jpeg (7.7 KB, 24 views)
Old June 12, 2012, 09:27 PM   #6
redneck

As far as magnification levels go, it really just depends on what your intended use of the gun is.
I have 3-9x40 scopes on 3 rifles (.22, .22mag, and .243). I have been very happy with this set up on the .22, but I rarely try and shoot it past 100 yards. It is mostly for plinking and small game, and gets used mostly around 50 yards. 9X magnification lets me see anything I need to quite well at that range and is still pretty clear even out to 100.

The .22 mag is a heavy single shot rifle I built and really only has been used for target shooting so far and I am wishing I would have put a higher power scope on it. It is a Redfield scope and has the accu-range reticle with a circle around the cross hairs. I find that past 100 yards the circle and cross hairs pretty well cover the target (I normally shoot 8" shoot N see targets) and make it difficult to get a really consistent sight picture. I can easily hit the target and would do just fine on ground hogs etc. with this scope but if you're trying for small groups on paper it gets frustrating.

I have the same issue on my .243 as the .22 mag. If I were just trying to hit the middle of a ground hog at 150 yards it would be fine. Or if I was using it for deer or coyote, it would be great for much farther distances. You have a bigger target in the scope to reference your point of aim, but if you're trying to shoot paper targets at longer distances they pretty much disappear in the middle of the cross hairs.
Old June 12, 2012, 11:17 PM   #7
kilimanjaro

I may have my definitions of magnification wrong, but a 4x scope will bring a target in to 1/4 of it's actual range, 9x to 1/9th, 15x to 1/15th, etc. I think either one of the scopes will work at 200 yards. Banner scopes are the inexpensive brand for the maker, they're fine for the .22 at any range. Keep 'em dry and don't bring 'em cold into a warm room, let 'em acclimate internally for a bit.

At those prices, try one, then get the other one, try it, get another rifle for fun.