The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 31, 2005, 09:57 AM   #1
clearwaterms

winchester model 59 shottie

okay,

last night a friend came over with a shotgun that his dad gave him. It's a model 59 winchester, 1960's vintage. It looks to be in decent shape, but I have never heard of anything like it. I know this much. It has a winlite barrel, and what looks like a turkey choke (it extends past the barrel, and is vented) my question, could somebody tell me a little bit about this piece and can we shoot some clay pigeons with it over the weekend? Will the extended choke be a problem, even if it really isn't designed for it? If it helps I use Federal 2 3/4" target loads with 7 1/2 shot.
Old March 31, 2005, 07:48 PM   #2
Clemson

The Model 59 is a fine gun, built light for carrying in the field. The choke is not likely a "turkey" choke, but may be a Cutts Compensator. The Winlite barrel was ahead of its time. It is a fiberglass wrapped steel tube.

You can certainly shoot clays with the Model 59. Those light target shells would be just fine.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old March 31, 2005, 08:18 PM   #3
Jim Watson

The M59 is a fine shooter if you don't mind the butt-heavy balance from the fibreglas barrel and the recoil column in the buttstock. No reason not to shoot it with standard loads. The extended vented screw-in choke is Winchester's own design of the period, factory installed in the steel liner under the fibreglas. No, Clemson, it is not a Cutts. Nor even a Winchoke as came out later. So he should keep track of any choke tubes that are with it, they would not likely be easy to replace.
Old March 31, 2005, 08:42 PM   #4
Clemson

Thanks, Jim. When I was a teenager, I hunted quail with a doctor who used a Model 59. His did not have an integral choke device. As I recall, his was choked "skeet." He sure had no problem killing South Carolina quail with that gun!

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old August 25, 2011, 04:08 PM   #5
BrittB

I know this is an old post but I ran into one of these today. It had no choke tube but the barrel was marked Full. Can anyone give me any insight on this one as well as a possible value. The condition looks to be a 7 out of 10.
Old August 25, 2011, 04:48 PM   #6
BigJimP

Model 59 values ...are not very high .../ unless its an unusual model ..and a collector really wants it for some reason ( had one as a kid, etc ) ....

Since its a fixed choke ---and fixed at Full ...its value is reduced a little more ...

In my area - even if it was a 9 out of 10 ...it would retail for under $ 250. A 7 out of 10 ...$ 150 - $ 200 probably ....
--------------------
There are a lot of guns out today ---that are way better buys long term than an old model 59 ...for a few more hundred dollars - especially used ...from Beretta, Browning, Remington, etc in the semi-auto market.

Just my opinion / but I'd suggest you pass on it - even if its under $ 200 ...and if its priced well over $ 200 ....I'd definitely pass on it. What is the seller asking for it ?
Old August 25, 2011, 06:11 PM   #7
BrittB

He wants $250 for it. It's in nice condition but the barrel type kind of spooks me a little bit.
Old August 25, 2011, 06:28 PM   #8
BigJimP

It should spook you a little ...and for what its worth / I think its overpriced...

If you were to shoot - light loads only ( and only 2 3/4" shells ) in it ...it'll probably be ok .../ but its not a gun that I'd want to put 5,000 shells thru either .../ but then I shoot about 7,000 shells a yr now ... and used to shoot 20,000 a year....

The model 59's were not produced too long ...maybe 5 yrs as I recall ...and they were produced at the time / to try and come up with a lighter gun, for the time, to carry in the field all day....for rabbits, or maybe some upland birds...but not heavy use like for waterfowl.

Over the years I've heard about receivers and barrels on them being prone to cracking ...

Today there are too many good gas guns / or inertia guns on the market for $ 750 - $2,000 new ....and a lot of used good solid semi-autos like the older Beretta 390's / Remington 1100's or 11-87's ...with changeable screw in chokes. Having a fixed choke gun - these days - makes no sense...it just doesn't make it versatile....

what do you want to do with this gun ? Will shooting only 2 3/4" shells be ok ? Will shooting light loads ( like around 1150 fps ) be ok ...
Old August 25, 2011, 07:14 PM   #9
BrittB

I would like to tell you I have a purpose for it but I really don't. Light 2 3/4" game loads would probally be about it though. Qail, Pheasant, that sort of thing would be all I would use it for.
Old August 26, 2011, 10:51 AM   #10
BigJimP

If this is a first shotgun - its not the way to go ....compared to the new technology that is out there for around $ 800 - $ 1,000 and some really nice semi-autos in the $ 1,000 - $ 1,875 price ranges too.

Look at the Browning Silver Hunter ...a gas operated ....good technology ...alloy receiver ..so its relatively light ...28" or 30" barrel ...3" chamber...around 7 1/3 lbs -- its a lot of gun at listing at $ 1,120 but selling around here for around $ 850 - $ 900.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...unter-firearms

It has the newer activ valve system in it ...comes with 3 chokes ..
------------
Winchester and Browning are the same company these days - so the Winchester is identical to the Browning now. Beretta has some nice gas guns in the older 390 series or the newer 391 series now.

You have a lot more options - than fooling around with this old technology in the model 59's.
Old August 26, 2011, 01:24 PM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I grabbed one at an estate auction for around $150 and traded it for my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. I never shot the shotgun but I am happy with the trade because that 44 mag is a deer getter and a barrel of fun on the range. The young fellow that got the shotgun seemed to be very pleased to get the Model 59. Sometimes things just work out even if you don't know what you are getting into.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--