The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 17, 2011, 07:17 PM   #1
cloud8a

Small hollwed out stump

What would the old timers or pioneers do with hollowed out stumps? I have one in a make shift camp in my side yard attatched to a tree. The rim is only about 3-4 inches from the ground and the hole is 6 inches or more deep.

It seems like this was of value in the days of black powder muzzleloader and pioneer days but I cannot remember or think of what.
Old May 17, 2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Bill Akins

Dig it out some and drill a hole in its bottom for a fuse then load it with BP and a big hollow iron ball filled with BP with a fuse in it. Then put some tight iron bands around it. Now set yourself up some flag range markers and wait for the Union troops to advance and then set off your Confederate mortar. Just kidding. But....you never know....could work....maybe. Early medieval cannons were frequently made of wood with reinforcement iron bands. Dangerous days to be a cannoneer which brings to mind the term and quote of..... "hoist your own petard".

Seriously though, it seems like I do slightly remember something that hollowed stumps were used for in my Foxfire books....but I can't remember at the moment.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; May 17, 2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old May 17, 2011, 07:35 PM   #3
cloud8a

I have foxfire book. I will take a look in there.
Old May 17, 2011, 07:39 PM   #4
zxcvbob

Good place to burn a tire?
Old May 18, 2011, 04:21 PM   #5
BConklin

I know hollow logs were used as hives for honey bees...but I can't think of anything for stumps
Old May 18, 2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Hawg

A good place to hide your gold.
Old May 18, 2011, 07:23 PM   #7
Bill Akins

I'm wondering if maybe it could be used to help tan a hide. Perhaps the tanic acid in the wood of the stump, with a wet hide rolled up in ashes and stuffed into the wet stump hole might help tan it. Just theorizing and spitballing here but that does sound possible and in line with crafts found in my Foxfire books (although I don't know for sure if that's in the foxfire books for hollowed out stump use).

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old May 19, 2011, 12:07 AM   #8
arcticap

Maybe it could serve as a large mortar & pestle for grinding up grain, corn, acorns, coffee beans or such.
Old May 19, 2011, 05:12 PM   #9
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I filled my big one with potting soil and planted a begonia in it, the smaller stumps I planted a variety of small wildflowers. Saved me from having to pull the stumps and looked attractive till they finally rotted down to the ground.

It's the old Bohunk in me, everything has a use.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old May 20, 2011, 01:15 AM   #10
cloud8a

Quote:
Maybe it could serve as a large mortar & pestle for grinding up grain, corn, acorns, coffee beans or such.
hmmm, Interesting I like this one. I might see if that can be done.

I have a large lot next to my house and I cleared out an area for a camp. I set up a tent and dug a small fire pit. I am going to use the camp to teach survival techniques to myself and my children. The stump is on a tree next to the tent and I keep thinking its has got to have some use. The idea for me is to go through the Army's survival manual and try out all the things in the book there at my makeshift camp.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:17 AM   #11
wittzo

I'm leaning toward mortar and pestle.

Hollowed out stumps are useful in making armor to dish out the knee and elbow cops.
Old May 20, 2011, 04:39 PM   #12
Kadmos

Quote:
It seems like this was of value in the days of black powder muzzleloader and pioneer days but I cannot remember or think of what.
A place to crap?