The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: How Often Do You Carry? Open or CC?
Open Often 8 5.67%
Open Seldom 3 2.13%
Concealed Carry Often 114 80.85%
Concealed Carry Seldom 16 11.35%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 21, 2010, 10:08 PM   #51
m&p45acp10+1

I am not allowed to even take a pocket knife on company property where I work. So if I am not at work, or in a no carry area I am carrying concealed. I live in Texas, and open carry in public is illegal.
Note I do open carry my Ruger Blackhawk in the woods when I hunt hogs.
Old December 21, 2010, 11:51 PM   #52
ncpatriot

M&P, what kind of place do you work for, that you can't even have a pocketknife? What kind of flakes run the place?
Old December 21, 2010, 11:55 PM   #53
BILLtheDJguy

Probably a prison or airport sterile area...
Old December 22, 2010, 02:16 PM   #54
The Great Mahoo

I generally carry concealed. That said, it is loosely concealed, and I don't worry much about it peaking out if my cover garment moves aside or is too short for all situations. But hey, we're pretty friendly here in PA.

Although, I must confess. Since going back to school, I find myself carrying less often these days. Just too many trips to "gun-free zones" to be worth the hassel. Evenings and weekends, or if I don't have to worry about class, you betcha.
Old December 22, 2010, 02:18 PM   #55
BILLtheDJguy

The poll numbers are interesting considering many on this site opine that the majority of carriers carry less than half of the time.
Old December 22, 2010, 02:23 PM   #56
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLtheDJguy
The poll numbers are interesting considering many on this site opine that the majority of carriers carry less than half of the time.

Not a surprise. Sites like this attract enthusiasts. Enthusiasts are, by definition, not "typical" in regards to the object of the enthusiasm.

The percentage of full-time carriers on this site is undoubtably far, far higher than the normal population.

I would guess that the real number of permit holders that carry virtually EVER is in the low double digits. 15, maybe. I doubt it's that high.
Old December 22, 2010, 02:50 PM   #57
BILLtheDJguy

Don't take this wrong, but you offer strong evidence for the poll result on this site, but offer none ("I would Guess") for the counter claim...

Why would someone go through the trouble of acquiring a permit, to just use it quite infrequently? I'm just trying to understand why most believe this to be true.
Old December 22, 2010, 03:01 PM   #58
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Don't take this wrong, but you offer strong evidence for the poll result on this site, but offer none ("I would Guess") for the counter claim...

Why would someone go through the trouble of acquiring a permit, to just use it quite infrequently? I'm just trying to understand why most believe this to be true.
My "strong evidence" for the counter claim is all the people I know, and previous discussions from TFL, that indicate that the vast majority of people who have handgun permits do not carry, ever.

I personally know quite a few people who have concealed carry permits. The ONLY ones who carry regularly are those who are members of our churches unofficial security team. That's about 6 people.

No one else I know carries their handgun, ever. Not just "not usually", or "infrequently", NEVER. Some of them have had concealed permits for decades and have NEVER, NOT ONE TIME, carried.

In some areas around here, as the state law technically dictates, permits are issued by default as "Unrestricted". It doesn't matter why you apply or whether or not you ever intend to carry. If you apply for a permit to own a handgun, you get a concealed carry permit. Most people never, ever, use them for that purpose.

Can I default that behavior to all the people you know? Nope, I can't. However, previous discussion right here on TFL would seem to indicate that my experience is far from unique.
Old December 22, 2010, 03:10 PM   #59
BILLtheDJguy

I'm not disputing your assessment.

I am simply trying to understand the general desire of the public. Perhaps it's something I missed as to the benefits of having a ccw, other than carrying a legal firearm, in a concealed fashion.
Here in Florida, it costs around $200 after all is said and done, to get a permit.
I guess having an income squarely in the 'poverty' bracket, creates a biased opinion on my part. I'm just trying to make sense of it.
Old December 22, 2010, 03:33 PM   #60
S. Fisher

I carry everyday, open in the summer, and cc in the winter. I prefer open carry, however the temps we reach in winter can make that impossible.
Every child in America should be acquainted with his own country. He should read books that furnish him with ideas that will be useful to him in life and practice. As soon as he opens his lips, he should rehearse the history of his own country.
Noah Webster, 1788
Old December 22, 2010, 03:51 PM   #61
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLtheDJguy
I am simply trying to understand the general desire of the public. Perhaps it's something I missed as to the benefits of having a ccw, other than carrying a legal firearm, in a concealed fashion.
Here in Florida, it costs around $200 after all is said and done, to get a permit.
Yeah, but lots and lots... and lots... of people get permits for hunting and target purposes and have never even considered carrying. Not even decided against it, never even thought of it.

I've had a number of people with permits say "Really? Why?" when they find out that I carry.
Old December 22, 2010, 04:09 PM   #62
BILLtheDJguy

Quote:
lots... of people get permits for hunting and target purposes and have never even considered carrying
Perhaps this sums it up...Here in the Sunshine State, you get a hunting license to hunt, a target shooter needs nothing in the way of a permit, and to carry concealed you get a CCW... You must have a blanket firearms license that covers them all.
Old December 22, 2010, 04:13 PM   #63
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You must have a blanket firearms license that covers them all.
Indeed.

We have, essentially, "unrestricted" which covers everything and "restricted", which amounts to hunting/target use. Technically, there are at least a couple of more categories but they do not exist in practical terms. There is no way to legally own a handgun in NY without a permit.

We also have two "issuance philosophies". One is, everybody gets an "unrestricted", the other is, no one gets an unrestricted unless they have "a good reason".

So, you end up with two "polarities" of people depending on county of issuance. You've got the "I have a concealed permit and don't care" and the "I got one because I "had a good reason" and so I carry."
Old December 23, 2010, 12:28 AM   #64
ncpatriot

Interesting about why so little actual carry. Some get permits thinking they may need to carry at some point, and think it may be harder to get permits later. Some like the idea, then don't like having the responsibility of keeping up with the gun. Some find carrying uncomfortable. Someone's wife may not like it. I knew one guy who actually used his .357 to scare off a guy coming at him with a knife. He quit carrying, saying he didn't know what he'd have done if he'd had to shoot the guy. I hope that wouldn't be an issue with me. Not that I would enjoy hurting or killing someone, I'm sure I'd have some sleepless nights. Taking a life is no small matter. But it would have been something forced on me, not something I went looking for.

I think many are in my boat. I would carry 100% of the time, but some days, I pick up my kids from school. In my state, can't have it in vehicle on school grounds. I can't risk a situation of a fender bender in the car line, then being obligated to disclose to an LEO that I'm carrying, a felony in my state, or not disclosing, then having him ask; as LEO's have permit info in our state. That would be 2 crimes. So that means 2 days a week for sure, I can't carry. I can seldom plan my day so that I go home first to ditch the gun, then to school to pick up my kids. I've had days when I had to do that if I got a call to pick up one of them sick, or come for an at the moment conference.

On another thread, someone said VA allows vehicle carry at schools, & allows carry in many public buildings. I'd sure like to see that here. It would make things a lot easier. Maybe we can make some progress, as we elected a more conservative legislature this year. They take office in Jan. We have several major firearms issues & other freedom issues to work on.
Old December 23, 2010, 12:42 AM   #65
Gary L. Griffiths

I carry every day, all day. In the immortal words of Inspector Lestrade, "As long as I have my trousers on, I have my back pocket; and as long as I have my back pocket, I have something in it."
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old December 23, 2010, 06:52 AM   #66
the blur

+1. MAJOR RESPONSIBILITY

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Interesting about why so little actual carry. Some get permits thinking they may need to carry at some point, and think it may be harder to get permits later. Some like the idea, then don't like having the responsibility of keeping up with the gun. Some find carrying uncomfortable. Someone's wife may not like it. I knew one guy who actually used his .357 to scare off a guy coming at him with a knife. He quit carrying, saying he didn't know what he'd have done if he'd had to shoot the guy. I hope that wouldn't be an issue with me. Not that I would enjoy hurting or killing someone, I'm sure I'd have some sleepless nights. Taking a life is no small matter. But it would have been something forced on me, not something I went looking for.

I think many are in my boat. I would carry 100% of the time, but some days, I pick up my kids from school. In my state, can't have it in vehicle on school grounds. I can't risk a situation of a fender bender in the car line, then being obligated to disclose to an LEO that I'm carrying, a felony in my state, or not disclosing, then having him ask; as LEO's have permit info in our state. That would be 2 crimes. So that means 2 days a week for sure, I can't carry. I can seldom plan my day so that I go home first to ditch the gun, then to school to pick up my kids. I've had days when I had to do that if I got a call to pick up one of them sick, or come for an at the moment conference.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Old December 23, 2010, 10:17 AM   #67
Rifleman1776

Before my state, Arkansas, passed CCW laws I carried all the time. Our Constitution, as interpreted by many judges, gave implicit rights to carry. But since the laws passed concealed carry without a permit is now clearly illegal. So I don't. For whatever reason, I just haven't gotten around to getting a permit. But, my wife and I are determined to get ours very soon.
Old December 23, 2010, 11:20 AM   #68
Conn. Trooper

Every single day since I was first sworn in, October 1995. Except my wedding day, wife didn't want to dance with me when I had my gun on. It was OK though, everybody in my wedding party (on my side, not the women) were cops and they were all armed.

My wife has had her permit for 2 years and has never, let me say that again, NEVER, carried. She is very comfortable with her gun, holster, clearing malfunctions, etc, She just never carries. She is also very tall and thin. Hiding a gun on her is much harder than on me. She just sees no reason to carry.

Like peetza says, most of the people I know never carry. Outside of cops, I don't anyone with a permit that carries on a regular basis. I don't know why. We only haved a full unrestricted permit here, everybody with a permit can carry. Odd.
Old December 23, 2010, 11:39 AM   #69
kymarkh

Carry concealed at least a portion of each day 5 or 6 days out of each week. Wish I had an employer that allowed me to carry concealed at work so it would become 7 days a week... but can't afford to lose my job right now.
Old December 23, 2010, 12:33 PM   #70
Glenn E. Meyer

If it's legal, I carry.

About the poll, go take a social science research methods class.

The TX CHL instructors organization did some informal research once and found 80% just wanted the license to keep a gun in the car without hassle.

That's stupid. The reason TX passed a CHL law was in part because Dr. Gratia-Hupp's gun was in the CAR!

Most gun owners don't carry, don't train - however, they are ready for the Zombie Meth Biker apocalypse.
Old December 23, 2010, 02:49 PM   #71
Legionnaire

Every day, everywhere legal.

Wish NY would develop a reciprocity program. I was one who managed to get an unrestricted permit--in Onondaga County, no less (notorious for restricting permits at the time). I carried in NYS for years. But now that I'm no longer a state resident, the handguns have to stay home when I come up to NY to visit or hunt.
Old December 23, 2010, 09:56 PM   #72
treg

I too carry everyday and everywhere legal.

At home, in the woods or on my horse it's 50/50 OC or CC depending on the gun / purpose of the day. At work it's in my tool box most of the time due to the nature of my job. In town it's CC all the way, no need to advertise.
Old December 23, 2010, 10:08 PM   #73
ritepath

I CC everyday, I will open carry when I'm on a Jeep, or ATV ride, and when I'm hunting or fishing (I suppose you could say in the great outdoors)

I was in Gander Mt last weekend and actually saw an OCer you don't see that many in this area of Virginia.
Old December 23, 2010, 10:25 PM   #74
Wag

I carry wherever it's legal. Sometimes open. Mostly concealed.

--Wag--
Old December 24, 2010, 12:34 PM   #75
YZR

I CC every single day...HONESTLY