The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 13, 2010, 06:16 PM   #1
seanhagerty

Tumbler noise

I have noticed that when my tumbler has the lid on it makes a heck of a lot more noise than when I have it off.

Is there any problem with running it with the lid off?

Sean
Old May 13, 2010, 06:32 PM   #2
vladan

not mechanically, in fact it'll clean faster ( at least mine does ) but much more of dust get in the air so better leave it running outside
Old May 13, 2010, 06:52 PM   #3
markr

I don't know if this addresses your question, but I put my tumbler on the basement floor instead of the work bench. When it is on the work bench, way more noise is transfered to upstairs, due to the bench "Humming".

Washed up 11B1P
Old May 13, 2010, 07:42 PM   #4
Steel185

i had a different tumbler question, but added some info on making your vibration tumbler much quieter. check it out, I made it in a few minutes and its much quieter now.

its the last 2 posts, last one has pictures
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409194
Old May 13, 2010, 08:14 PM   #5
mrawesome22

Mine is the same way. With the lid off, it is much quieter and there is much more agitation. I run it out in the garage.
Old May 13, 2010, 08:29 PM   #6
seanhagerty

Steel,

I saw your thread and that was what made me ask this question.

I like your design, I would rather run mine with the lid off.

I put dryer sheets in the corn cob media and it keeps the dust down, so I think I will just leave things the way they are. No dust, less noise.

Sean
Old May 14, 2010, 07:53 AM   #7
Steel185

i've heard about the dryer sheets, do the sheets cause a big tangled mess? I'm looking to using them just to keep the media cleaner longer.
Old May 14, 2010, 08:30 AM   #8
seanhagerty

If you cut them up in one inch squares they dont have any issues. If you get lazy and throw them in whole, they do get tangled.
Old May 14, 2010, 08:46 AM   #9
Steel185

great i will give that try.
Old May 15, 2010, 04:06 PM   #10
johnjohn

With the lid off mine makes a lot more dust. To combat noise I set it on a tool box that has a piece of rubber glued to it and have a bar of plumbers lead sitting right next to the tumbler. Pretty quiet.
Old May 15, 2010, 04:29 PM   #11
F. Guffey

Yes, and then I tighten the lid, the lid is like a drum head transmitting noise, I have one with a rubber gasket, the seal acts like a dampener to noise.

F. Guffey
Old May 15, 2010, 05:09 PM   #12
ScottRiqui

Anything you can do to make the lid more massive or couple the lid more tightly to the tumbler body will help. I have some leftover sound-dampening matting (from a car stereo install) that I may cut into small pieces and stick to the top of the lid and the sides of the tumbler bowl.

I like the idea of the gasketted lid as well.
Old May 15, 2010, 10:57 PM   #13
Gazzmann

I cut a piece of cardbord and place it between the bowl and the lid. Sort of like a big gasket. Helps a little.
Old May 15, 2010, 11:41 PM   #14
snuffy

Midway used to sell a big interrupted thread nut just for the lids on tumblers. Crank that down tight, it cuts the noise considerably. Best part is a couple of twists gets it off, you don't have to thread that little nut completely off the rod.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 16, 2010, 09:40 AM   #15
Jumping Frog

I hope you realize that the dust has lead residue in it. You'll get more lead exposure from tumbling cases without a lid that you will get from bullet casting.

It is the same reason I purchased a case tumbler with a solid lid that contains all dust:

Instead of the many brands that has vented lids:

I put my tumbler in a semi-large cardboard box with a couple of layers of cardboard added on the bottom, and keep it on the concrete floor of my garage when tumbling.

Brace yourself for the Obamination. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old May 20, 2010, 08:46 AM   #16
barhob

i have the Cabelas cleaner as pictured.
i put a 'bungee' cord around outside bottom of the bowl and put a cloth pad
between the bowl and the metal hooks to stop the noise.
the brass rolls faster this way with or without the lid on.
may not work on yours.

i have two 'Midway' cleaners. they only work well with the top off.

take your bulk cleaning media outside in the wind or with the help of a fan and pour the media back and forth between LARGE buckets or containers.
repeat until there is no dust.
Old May 20, 2010, 09:51 AM   #17
CowTowner

I have the Hornady and it came with both a solid lid and the the lid in the picture. The one pictured is for screening the media out of the brass without a second device.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old May 20, 2010, 05:14 PM   #18
Head-Space

The noise is brass vibrating against the lid. And the lid works like a diaphragm in a speaker. You could pad the inside of the lid with foam neoprene (wetsuit / mouse pad material).

I drilled a lot of holes in the base of mine to keep the motor cool. Then you can set the thing on a pad to dampen noise. I'm spoiled. I run mine out in the barn, put a note on the fridge to remind me its running.
Old May 20, 2010, 07:11 PM   #19
Aldadentist

I have the cabelas tumbler and with the lid nice and tight and the machine on the concrete floor the noise is greatly reduced. If that lid is loose the noise is much greater. Also, having been a shooter for over 50 years and not wearing hearing protection the first 20 of those years makes everything pretty quiet.