The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 14, 2010, 08:03 PM   #1
DCarr

Tite Group = wrong powder ?

I purchased 1 lb. of Hodgdons Tite Group for use with a 115 gr. FMJ 9mm bullet.

I looked closer and noticed for a 115gr. bullet they only list LRN or JHP with an OAL of 1.100", I'm not positive what the " LRN " is .. * Round Nose ...
At a Charge weight of 3.9 gr. - 4.3 gr.

I was intending on a 4.0 gr. load.

Did I purchase a powder I cant use with the 115gr. FMJ Bullet ? It is listed for lighter weight FMJ rnds. ( I know ... not the same ).

Blast me if needed / as needed ...............

TIA
Old February 14, 2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Chucky64

FMG vs. JHP

As long as it has a copper jacket on the bullet You dont need
to differentiate between FMJ and JHP. The load in the Lee
Manual for titegroup 115grn jacketed bullet is 4.5 @1135,start load.
Max Load is 4.8 @ 1158, Max load.
Old February 14, 2010, 11:56 PM   #3
Sevens

LRN is a "lead round nose" bullet. Typically going to mean a hard cast lead bullet. While you most often will -NOT- simply interchange data amongst bullets of differing composition and type, I have found that most of my data works similarly between LRN and FMJ and plated RN bullets in 9mm, with the powders that I use. Without a chrono, I can't tell you if they are shooting to similar velocities, but I can tell you that I'm not seeing pressure signs in any of them, I get fine functioning in the pistol and I'm getting decent accuracy with all of them.

In 9mm, you typically use JHP data for FMJ because FMJ bullets will be shorter in the same weight. I wouldn't say the opposite is true-- if you built a load using FMJ bullets, and pushed and pushed until it was at max, and then suddenly inserted JHP bullets in their place, you might nudge it over the edge. The JHP bullets are longer (in the same weight) and will allow for less space inside the case, which increases pressure.

I'd straight up GIVE you Titegroup data from my own logs, but I stick to 124gr bullets. Better yet, simply go to the Hodgdon website and punch up their reloading data center.

For your FMJ bullets, use either FMJ or JHP data, just don't start at max and you should be safe. Look for signs of pressure and move forward advancing the load, if you feel like you need to advance the load. In my opinion... when the load you are using functions the pistol with complete reliability... and also returns whatever level of accuracy you demand... there's no point in making the load "hotter" unless you intend to shoot competition and need to hit some standard velocity.

Good luck!
Old February 15, 2010, 12:20 PM   #4
CrustyFN

My Speer manual lists 4.1 to 4.5 max. I load 4.2 grains of Titegroup under 115 and 124 grain FMJ bullets in 9mm.
Old February 18, 2010, 10:42 PM   #5
nhm90

I second that. I load 4.2 gr of Titegroup with 115 FMJ bullets. They work well.
Old February 18, 2010, 10:54 PM   #6
Zak Smith

My 9mm load is a 115gr Plated RN with 4.2gr Titegroup.