The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Have you ever been shot at?
Yes 96 45.28%
No 116 54.72%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 16, 2010, 08:53 PM   #51
jborushko

coupla times...

downrange:
pot shots from a mortar
direct fire
IEDs

home:
leaving base when some crack head took a few pot shots at my in my jeep
12ga packing rock salt ****** off father - took it in the flank -ouch!
friends with shotgun shells loaded with airsoft plastic pellets (outside of 25yards and with glasses on -still dumb, and funny, though)
Old January 16, 2010, 11:24 PM   #52
alienbogey

Been shot at lots and lots, but I was dropping bombs on them at the time, so it was understandable.
Old January 16, 2010, 11:41 PM   #53
m.p.driver

In Honduras local took a potshot at our convoy,we opened up on the tree line with a straight belt of tracers,we found sodden pants(1 and 2)left

behind.One time in Panama,but i called in an airstrike so i won.Rock breaks scissors.
Old January 17, 2010, 05:16 AM   #54
Jedburgh

I've been shot at some.

It was after I invaded their country so I figured it wasn't personal. Luckily, arabs are bad shots.

DOL
Old January 18, 2010, 03:19 AM   #55
TheEagle82

Oh yes

Several times throughout my life have i been shot at and hit.

First time i got hit, i was out hunting, i was 12-13, and i caught a few pellets of birdshot to the shoulder. They didnt get much penetration because of distance and my winter garb, but damn it didnt tickle.

Second time, i believe i was 15, and my "friend" decided it would be a good idea to "suprise" me that he'd found his fathers .22 deringer. Caught that round full well to the left buttock. (Go ahead, laugh, i do about it. Kinda)

Third time, it wasent me, but my poor Ford Wagon, when i was 24. I was turning onto I-295 in RI, when i lost control of the car. I thought i'd just had a blowout, until they put the new tire on and there was a chunk of brass inside my tire. Nothing conclusive, but i have no other explanation how a new tire (three months on the car) blows out and brass gets in my rim.

Been shot at quite a few times as well.

First time i was about 8, visiting my uncle in NYC. I was in the back seet of his car, and we were going to dinner, when there was a bang, and the back windows both shattered. Yeah, theres a reason i dont like big cities.

Second time, my hunting buddy had an "accidental" discharge or his 12ga, the pattern in the snow stopped about 18-20 inches from my boot. That was around 18-19.

At about 22, walking home (slightly merry) from a country bar, i apparently strayed onto someones front yard. He decided to give me some double barrel inscentive to speed my trip along.

I suppose growing up in the country, i had alot more exposure to firearms than most, which is probably why i have a decent amount of stories without being in the military.

But i am still proud that i have never caused a single firearm related accident. But then again, it doesnt matter how well you handle them, when theres 5 billion others out there who might not.
Old January 20, 2010, 09:56 PM   #56
grubbylabs

I have never been shot at but I have been in a few scary situations. I used to work for a private ambulance company is southern california. The first incident was a stabbing, a guy came home for lunch and for what ever reason started stabbing his girl friend. We are supposed to wait till the police clear scenes like that but for what ever reason I followed the county medic unite right on scene before the police could clear the scene. We were outside getting our ambulance ready when we heard gun shots. The officer inside trying to disarm the guy wound up having to shoot him, but we had no idea that's what was going on and we were pretty scared for a minute. The county guys have vests issued to them and were going for them. My partner and I did not have any thing so we just got behind our ambulance. We were not really in any danger but it was a little more than exciting for a minute.

The second was is a small upper class neighborhood. A guy took a jewelers wife hostage and was holding her for ransom. unknown the the Orange County swat the guy left the house and the wife wanted to come out. So they thought it would be a great idea to send us up the street to meet the wife and two officers. The scary part was we were between the house and a bunch of Swat officers who were pointing their assault rifles at the house. If there had been problems we would have been right between the problem.

I think a little more about what I am about to do before I go on scene these days.
Old January 20, 2010, 10:23 PM   #57
sonick808

I've been robbed at gunpoint twice but never shot at.

I can't believe how many people have been shot/shot at in the civilian sector!

I will never leave my sidearm at home ever again
Old January 20, 2010, 10:58 PM   #58
EnoughGUN

Myself no but....
A friend of mine and I were in seperate cars and when we tried to pass a third car with some thugs in it we ended up in a bad situation. The men in in third car picked up a third person and cought up with us on the road (main street in the middle of town)
As they came past me the front seat passenger looked at me and I looked back but gave him a look like "it is what it is" trying to not to add to the issue so they passed me by. They pulled next to my buddy (hot head) and ended up having words. It ended with them shooting at him with a handgun wrapped in a shirt or something. The police cought them not far away with the gun. This was maybe 15 years ago and in an area where you would NEVER expect something like this to happen.
Althought not the only instance that changed my thinking it is maybe the first. I grew up in an area where kids roamed the streets with no thought of harm or danger at all hours. In the past years I have had friends shot at, friends stabbed or shot and killed, had bodies found in yards across the street and in our road, had drunk or high strangers attempt to enter my car at gas stations. I don't NOT feel safe these days but I do understand the danger and take steps to minimize dangerl.
Old January 21, 2010, 04:17 PM   #59
cycleguru

A few years back I was out for an early morning run on a country road. The part of the road I was on ran directly toward the Interstate. I was probably a football field away from the Interstate when I noticed a semi pulled over on the shoulder directly in line with the road I was on. This was "out in the country". Nothing around but cows. Then I noticed a guy, probably the driver, standing at the front of his tractor. Taking a leak I figured. Next thing I hear a zing just above my head and then a pop from the direction of the truck. Having spent 13 months in Nam I instinctively hit the deck. A few seconds later the guy was back in his truck heading west. All I can figure is that it was just some goofball who decided to take a pot shot in the general direction of a jogger. Just for kicks I suppose. By the time I got back by a phone there wasn't much point in calling police. The guy was long gone by that time.
Old January 21, 2010, 09:04 PM   #60
semi_problomatic

Yeah plenty, but no enemy marksmanship badge for me. Have heard some zingers and pops though. We always opened up with every weapon we had at hand and laid down *ahem* aimed suppressive fire.
Old January 22, 2010, 07:21 AM   #61
jj05

MSR Tampa, Iraq

Many times have I been shot at on that road. Luckily the Army started armoring their vehicles.
Old January 22, 2010, 07:56 AM   #62
omkhan

Never, but I feel very lucky as i almost got hit by a stray bullet.
I was at a friends house and we were sitting in his porch after having a firing session which devastated his grass . It was the night of the 13th Aug 2009 i.e. the Independence Day of Pakistan and celebratory firing mostly aerial is pretty common (Just like on new year or July 1st of urs.) .

So suddenly something struck the top of the front gate and whizzed passed me. I am guessing it missed me by a good 2 ft. above my head and slightly to the left. We looked for it and sure it was a 7.62*25 bullet slightly deformed from the impact. I felt very lucky that day.
Old January 26, 2010, 10:41 AM   #63
Firepower!

perhaps the next time you should stay indoors after a firing session on Aug 13Th.

Anyway, Karachi is in a bit of turmoil these days. be safe.
Old January 26, 2010, 01:38 PM   #64
Yankee Traveler

I was 13 when it I was shot at. A friend and I had stopped to rest at a large rock along the cross country running trail behind our school. It was a Saturday so we were not in a race or training, although we were both team members. As we were sitting there we both heard the "zzzzzz",...the fastest maddest bee had just flown behind me....W T F??? I asked, or something close. Another one, this time behind Jason. And another between us. Then they started to ricochet off the rock we were sitting on, and thats when we figured it out...

We RAN!!!

While I had shot my 30-30 and 20 ga plenty, I had never heard a bullet before. I had no idea what it was. I don't believe Jason had ever shot anything, but he knew as soon as it hit the rock.

I found out maybe 10 years later, that it was a couple of older kids in town that were out "messing around" with their 22's. I found out because one of them told me. They thought it was hillarious. The one that told me was a supposed friend then and at the time of the "prank". There has not been any contact between us since.

Last edited by Yankee Traveler; January 26, 2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old January 26, 2010, 04:52 PM   #65
mr-geep

Panama 1989....enough said about that
In Iraq, I was armed with a MRK-19 mounted on a Hummer, so never got close enough to anybody to recieve small arms fire.

When I came back home in '92 (I was 23), I went deer hunting with my dad. I had just come over the top of a ridge over a ravine when I heard the familiar "ZZZzzzzzzr" then an immediate report from a high caliber rifle. I threw myself face first in the snow by instinct. Sat there for a second, and then my brain completly disengaged. I stood up, threw my rifle back down into the snow, pulled the .357 from its holster and began yelling "Stick your head out you so-and-so cause I'm gonna blow your frick'n head off!" I remember firing a couple shots aimlessly and yellin something like "I'm leaving one bullet in here for you". I then started about 30 feet down the hill towards where the shot came from when fear came over me. Not fear of being shot at, but fear that I would have honestly killed the SOB if I had seen him. I stopped in my tracks, yelled a couple more profanitys , went back up to look for my rifle and then went back the way I came.
In Panama, you learned to keep your head down and would even joke with your buddys when bullets were zing'n overhead, I guess fear manifests itself in different ways in different situations.
I didn't go deer hunting for several years after that, and am still leary during rifle season.

BTW, I was wearing a hunter orange jacket with an orange cap (Not required in Idaho). My guess is he or she saw movement coming over the top of the ridge and shot.
Old January 26, 2010, 05:31 PM   #66
Formula233

Yes
Old March 16, 2015, 09:02 AM   #67
hdaackda

yes

Yup.. but they didn't aim to kill me, just scare me.. That's just before I got kidnapped!

Stayed with them (in captivity) for a month... worst days of my life..
Old March 16, 2015, 09:18 AM   #68
Marty8613

Central America early 90's. We were on a re-supply mission. No one informed us of the scheduled diplomatic mission behind us. The panel truck there to take us to the Pax area acquired some holes from over 1k away. Being unarmed at the time I was a scene from "The Jerk". " He hates this truck! Stay away from the truck!"
Once I ran back to my air craft and acquired the radio I shouldn't have left; I politely asked the Army to dispatch their gunship. They promptly dispatched said gunship and did a little gardening back in the trees.

At really long ranges like this, you can't hear a rifle over prop wash. Eerie to say the least.
Old March 16, 2015, 10:00 AM   #69
pax

Zombie thread.

pax
Closed Thread