The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 2, 2009, 08:14 AM   #1
TrumpetShooter

Jukar BP Pistols: Accuracy, Loads, Lead, and Caps

1. Is a Jukar pistol designed to shoot high so the owner can custom file the "V" notch in the rear sight? Here's why I am asking. A friend loaned me a .45 caliber Jukar Spanish pistol. It shoots about 20 inches high at 10 yards. Just eye-balling the sighting plane compared to the bore axis, anyone could tell that this pistol would have to shoot way high. I have seen pictures of other Jukar pistols just like this one, and they all have that same extremely high rear sight, with a little "V" notch.

2. Does anyone have any experience with good, consistent loads for this pistol? The best I have, so far, is 35 grains of ffg behind a .454" round ball with no patch. It is constistent, with minimal recoil, although the groups are about 20" high, as stated earlier.

3. Which sizes work best for your Jukar pistols? Is it a patched .440" round ball? Or a .445" or even a .447". Has anyone else out there tried a .454" or a 457" round ball with no patch?

4. What size caps does your Jukar like? I switched to "Muzzleloader Caps" for this gun. I tried #10 caps, and the ones I had did not fire every time. The "CCI Muzzleloader Caps" cost me $5.99 for 100 caps, and they fire every time, so I would like to stick with them. (Most of you know, but the newbies may not, that "Muzzleloader Caps" take a different size nipple than either #10 or #11 caps.)

I'd appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.
Old December 2, 2009, 08:32 AM   #2
mykeal

1. In my experience the Jukar/Dikar/CVA Spanish line of bp single shot pistols are not so much designed as produced from parts. That is to say, they put them together, and that's what you get; intentions (that is, 'designs') have little to do with it. The relationship of the sight axis to the bore axis is somewhat random. That's not intended as a complaint; they are inexpensive, and who can complain about getting to shoot more? BTW, the Dixie Gun Works catalog has an excellent primer on measuring the relationship of the sight line to the bore axis.

2. All of my Jukar/Dikar/CVA pistols have crowns that do not swage the ball. A patch is necessary. I use a .440 round ball with a 0.15 dry lubed patch for the best results; group sizes vary considerably over the range of pistols with this load (the Philly Derringer group size is considerably larger than the Kentucky group size).

3. See above.

4. I have no idea what "CCI Muzzleloader" caps are. Do you mean magnum caps or perhaps musket caps? All of my Jukar/Dikar/CVA pistols now have aftermarket (Treso) nipples which take CCI No. 11 caps.
Old December 2, 2009, 10:47 AM   #3
fastforty

If you file down the front sight, the point of impact will get HIGHER. Try adjusting your sight picture until just the very tip of the front sight ia visible in the bottom of the "V" of the rear sight.
Old December 2, 2009, 12:45 PM   #4
arcticap

I bought these used Jukar Colonial pistols and each had a different front sight.
One had a taller front blade with a square rear notch while the other had a low triangular front with a wide V rear notch. One front sight was dovetailed but the other wasn't.
While the other general features of each pistol were pretty similar, the depth of the rifling of each barrel was also noticiably different.
They could have been made years apart and by different machinery.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1090551aaaaaa75%.JPG (63.5 KB, 1616 views)
File Type: jpg P1090544aaaaaa75%.JPG (74.1 KB, 1604 views)

Last edited by arcticap; December 2, 2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old December 2, 2009, 02:22 PM   #5
mykeal

Arcticap made my point much better than I did. Thanks.
Old December 2, 2009, 03:27 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Folks,

A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away, I had a colonial pistol from Jukar. I only shot patched roundballs. I never filed on the rear sight (Front sight was like the lower photo in Articap's post.) It was a kit. I seem to remember .45 cal. It shot fairly well right from the get go. Tight group and POA/POI match was pretty good.

Front sight was not a tight enough fit and once it popped off on discharge. PITA that. I found the sight and retired the pistol. (Gave up on shooting for a while)
Old December 2, 2009, 04:42 PM   #7
fastforty

I have two Jukars. One is .45 & the other is .50. One is short & the other is long (I disremember which is which). Never got up the 'nads to shoot either one, LOL.