The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 25, 2008, 05:30 PM   #26
Glockeroo

Quote:
"Its the shooter who's accurate, not the firearm". This couldn't be further from the truth. A great shot with a halfarse gun stands little chance against a fair shot with an accurate gun. I agree skill plays a large part, but without the proper tools you won't win contests.
Let's be real here. What knowledgeable firearms owners will possess a halfarse gun? I'm basing my opinion on the majority of trained firearms owners. They are more accurate than the firearms they own. As long as it's functioning properly, I am accurate with any gun I shoot. That's why the Glock grip angle debate is overplayed IMO. It's not as big an issue as some make it.
Old June 25, 2008, 09:06 PM   #27
varoadking

Quote:
I've never bought into the gun making someone accurate.
Not the point, Glockeroo. I can shoot lights out with recognized accurate pieces. Comparatively, the Glock is a so-so shooter in the same hands.

The Glock is not what I would term a "tack driver."
Old June 25, 2008, 11:22 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
A great shot with a halfarse gun stands little chance against a fair shot with an accurate gun.
I guess it depends on how you define "halfarse gun". In my experience it's rare to find a pistol that is not functionally accurate at reasonable ranges. Even the Hi-Point pistols are quite accurate.

I'd have to say that better skill is going to triumph over better tools unless the difference in the tools is really huge.

That's not what's being discussed on this thread. Glocks are not the most accurate pistols I've shot, but they're not inaccurate enough that it's reasonable to blame them for the misses.

The ones I've shot will do 3" five shot groups at 25 yards with the right ammunition. Maybe a bit better, but in that neighborhood. That's a fairly practical number, obtained by shooting offhand, not a theoretical accuracy figure based on shooting from a rest or fixture.
Old June 26, 2008, 05:13 PM   #29
Glockeroo

Quote:
Not the point, Glockeroo.
The Glock is not what I would term a "tack driver."
I'm sorry but when I'm shooting my Glocks, they are.
Closed Thread