The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 15, 2015, 03:25 PM   #1
wogpotter

"600yd" (Yeah, right) laser rangefinder.

I broke down & bought one. On reading the instructions it says it'll only record to 200 yds.

Really!

What a ripoff. I didn't expect 600, some exaggeration being normal for marketing hype but 1/3 of advertised. I can eyeball that & my old coincident image Ranging 1,000 is good to 600 or so.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Last edited by wogpotter; March 17, 2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old March 15, 2015, 11:51 PM   #2
Snyper

Even my old first generation Bushnell will do over 300, and it's at least 20 years old
Old March 16, 2015, 05:12 AM   #3
cryogenic419

Its all about hyping up the product. Rest assured the item can usually do what it claims on the box thanks to the crafty lawyers going over everything with a fine tooth comb. What the fine print inside the box usually will tell you is if this condition and that condition are met then and ONLY then will it do exactly what they advertise it to do.
Old March 16, 2015, 02:49 PM   #4
Snyper

Quote:
if this condition and that condition are met
Exactly

It probably WILL read to 600 yds on a reflective road sign in clear conditions

Mine is rated for 400 yds, and will read deer or trees at around 300-350 most days

What I generally do is measure out the spots before hand whenever possible, and hang surveyor's tape in trees, or plant flags in the fields at known distances so I don't have to guess, or try to laser the deer itself
Old March 16, 2015, 03:32 PM   #5
wogpotter

Quote:
What I generally do is measure out the spots before hand whenever possible,
That's exactly how I use the coincident image one. Then I transfer it all to a permanent range-card.

I only bought the darn thing because its way smaller & should be faster to use as theirs no setup & calibration involved.

If it doesn't even come close to 1/2 what's advertised they can have it back!

Old March 16, 2015, 06:02 PM   #6
Snyper

Quote:
If it doesn't even come close to 1/2 what's advertised they can have it back!
It may just be defective

Mine is one of the very first that hit the market. so anything more recent should be much better

And mine still works like new
Old March 16, 2015, 07:12 PM   #7
Pahoo

Sailing instruments.

They do make longer range instruments but mostly for sailing ships. There range will probably start at 600yds. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 17, 2015, 07:27 AM   #8
wogpotter

It was returned.
I'm going to look at a better grade & "advertised" for 1,000yds or better. Maybe that will be good for 600?

Old March 17, 2015, 09:41 AM   #9
kraigwy

Welcome to the world of rangefinders.

I've had several, and yes its been my experience that most will reliably read half what is advertised.

I say reliably, I mean something you can depend on, and it will also depend on where you are.

I have a Leopold RXIII, its advertised to be good for 1200 yards on reflective targets and 600 on deer.

I've never got to 1200 yards, or rare occasions I've gotten 800+ in the mountains but in the prairie I'd be real lucky to get to 300 on antelope.

There are really good Range finders out there that will range much farther then you can shoot.

The Terrapin is a good one, but they are discontinued. I was at a precision rifle match and we were talking about range finders and I played with a Terrapin. Its suppose to be good for 2000 yards. I was able to get 3300 on a couple reading, it was really good for 2000 as advertised. That was the one I wanted.

UNTIL:

I was on a guided hunt and we were talking range finders and I related that I was going to buy a Terrapin, but since they are discontinued I was searching for a good used on. The guide told me to try a G7 from Gunwoks first. He dug his out and I was impressed. Its suppose to be good to 2000 and using the Guides, I didn't find anything that far but I found it would range much farther then I'd want to hunt with. Plus it has a ballistic program built in.

So when I get home I ordered on. It took it out the first afternoon and ranged a cow, (convectively) at 2280. I've ranged several animals beyond 2000 so it works.

Now the Ballistic program: Its only good for 1400, meaning, like any other ballistic program, you put in you bullet data, BC, velocity, etc. and it gives you corrections. It computes the temp, alt. humidity, angles, etc and gives you the correction in MOA for the range. Like I said the Ballistic program is only good to 1400, past that you have to use your data book.

You can put several ammo combinations and then just select the load and go.

The price is reasonable for the price ($1600).

The G7 isn't the only one out there that works, its the one I tried, liked and bought. Well worth the money spent.

In short there are a lot of good range finders out there, but you're going to have to pay for them The Terrapin I mentioned was $2000 new.

Might want to look at the Vortex models, I don't now anything about them but lately I've been trying other Vortex optics and found them to be excellent quality and exceptional warrantees.

If youre into long range shooting a quality range finder is a must. If you only hunt to 300 or so yards the others, like the Leopold will work.

I just don't seem the logic of spending tons of money on long range rifles and skimp on the range finder.......the weakest link limits your shooting. My confidence is better if I know Im the weakest link and not the equipment.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 17, 2015, 10:38 AM   #10
wogpotter

The max I ever practically shoot at is a little over 650. Its an East Coast terrain & foliage thing.
I don't plan on ranging critters live in real time, I just like to plan out the places I can shoot long(ish) range realistically so I have a frame of reference.

Most of the places I get to regularly have been documented with the coincident image rangefinder anyway, but I was hoping to get a "superior alternative".

I guess not.

Old March 18, 2015, 08:44 AM   #11
AllenJ

I picked up a Leica 1600-B last year and it has impressed me. I did my research and knew it would not range to 1600 yards unless the target was reflective and the conditions perfect but I was able to range some elk with it last season at 1148 yards. From what I've heard and read the G7 is the gold standard right now but for what I do the Leica is both good quality and very accurate at about half the cost.
Old March 18, 2015, 09:45 AM   #12
603Country

Well, let me share some low cost info. My Nikon 600, which I've had for a few years, has always limited out on critters at 400ish yards. Yesterday afternoon, it set a new personal record by ranging a doe at 429 yards. I can range to the far side of my hay field, which is 509 yards, but I have never ranged any animal (including cattle) at that range.

I have ranged shiny trucks at 900ish yards, but that's worthless.
Old March 18, 2015, 02:25 PM   #13
Snyper

Quote:
I have ranged shiny trucks at 900ish yards, but that's worthless.
In some situations it is, but if you can access the area prior to hunting, being able to set out markers at predetermined distances is a big help

Realistically 90% or more shots will be under 200 yds anyway
Old March 18, 2015, 03:07 PM   #14
rickyrick

GPS it with your phone, if you can go ahead of time
Old March 18, 2015, 03:58 PM   #15
wogpotter

Quote:
GPS it with your phone, if you can go ahead of time
Unfortunately where I go a lot of the time the phone only gets one bar 3 miles short of the area & then drops out completely

Old March 24, 2015, 09:58 PM   #16
gk1

I haven't confirmed accuracy, but Google Maps and Google Earth both have the option to measure distance on satellite images. If you can identify points of reference, you might be able to get "good enough" measurements for deer hunting from a stand or hide.
Old March 26, 2015, 11:13 PM   #17
rickyrick

I've checked google maps and google earth as well as paced off distances withy pace count I learned in the army... Close enough for shooting
Old March 27, 2015, 08:12 AM   #18
Rembrandt

Been using a Swarovski for years, have used it out to 1600 yards.