The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 14, 2012, 07:27 PM   #1
bushmaster65

powder charges for Uberti's and others.

I have just become addicted to BP revolvers via a nice 2nd Gen. Dragoon by Uberti. 3inch group at 25ft using Hodgdon pellets (30grn). Not bad for a newbie I'm Guessin.
But herte is my quandry. I have been looking for a deffinative table that will show Min. - Max. powder charges for the different models. As well as manufacturers. The pyrodex pellets work great but I want to get into the traditional side of this addiction as my experience level increases. So If anybody knows where I can find a table or maybe make one here, that ud be great. I bought the dragoon at a gun show without the box and he threw in an instruction book for pietta's...

Thanks again in advance.
Bushmaster65
Old July 14, 2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Ideal Tool

Hello, bushmaster65. These old time guns are certainly addicting! go to:
original loads for cap and ball revolvers...http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/in...pic=133.0;wap2
Old July 14, 2012, 08:07 PM   #3
Hawg

Get out there and play with it. 3 inches at 25 yards is doable.
Old July 16, 2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Hellgate

The minimum charge is the minimum needed toseat the ball snugly onto the powder charge. Maximum (I'm talking BP not 777) is the amount you can put into the chamber and still seat the ball below the chamber mouth. With a filler such as corn meal you could go as low as 10 grains. The standard Army charge for the Dragoon was 40 grs powder. I do not remember if that was for a ball or a conical.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)