The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 10:29 AM   #26
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Posted by Bailey Boat: Yep, we're too stupid to read, too stupid to figure anything out for ourselves, we're just the stupid public. And some cops wonder why we don't particularly care for them. When the "force" treats us as being stupid and ignorant, that tends to be the attitude returned.
And that is somehow intended as a meaningful response to the helpful suggestion, "....look at the officer’s credentials. Just keep in mind that you don't know what an authentic police ID card for that agency looks like. (I don't know what official ID cards for the surrounding agencies look like, either.)" ??

Quote:
When I explain the exact ordinance I want enforced and the cops wants to know if I have a law degree it tends to infuriate educated people.
Individual citizens may report suspected violations, but it is up to others to decide when and how to enforce ordnances.

Quote:
You don't have to be a lawyer to READ the local ordinances and laws.
Reading local ordinances and laws is one thing, but understanding the ways in which individual ordinances fit into a tapestry of others and of state laws, knowing the case law, and knowing how a municipality enforces those ordinances are something else.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:41 AM   #27
bikerbill

With one exception, years ago in Calif., all my interactions with law enforcement, local or state, have been of the highest quality. We have a small but efficient police department in my little town. The officers wave on patrol if you're outside; one officer stopped me on my block to chat about my dog as we were walking. If you treat LEOs with respect and are friendly, I'm guessing you'll get that back. Copping an attitude, being belligerant, etc., will not get you what you want, which is to be turned loose, sans ticket or arrest ... Most cops have a scary, dangerous job and I can certainly understand why they wish to get on top of a situation immediately, so I never take offense at being told to keep my hands in sight or step from my vehicle, if that's what is being asked ...
Old May 20, 2012, 12:01 PM   #28
Single Six

I see a lot of anti-police stuff on the Internet these days. Some of it is bad, and a lot of it is just plain, unabashed hatred for LEOs. I hate to say it, but I've even seen some of this on TFL on occasion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and no one I know of in the LE biz expects the public to love them. If that's what we wanted, we'd have become firemen. I will also candidly admit that there are some police officers who are arrogant, abusive, and occasionally, even criminals themselves. I should point out, however, that these people were already jerks, or even potential criminals, BEFORE they started in LE, and no amount of pre-employment screening, psych testing, etc., will keep them out completely. Nevertheless, they are still the minority. I ask only this, of both my fellow TFL folks, and of the public in general: Please consider judging LEOs as individuals, rather than as a group.

Last edited by Single Six; May 20, 2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: addition
Old May 20, 2012, 01:09 PM   #29
Fishing_Cabin

Well said Single Six.

As to the earlier mention in the thread about wanting all officers to be "polite, productive and well trained." In a perfect world it would be possible, but not in life as we know it. Law enforcement, as with other vocations requires a balancing act between being polite, productive and well trained. Being trained takes time, and that time can take away from being productive, as well as vice versa. Being polite, in most encounters is what should be expected also. It is also important for folks to understand there are some situations that vary by state/local law that a law enforcement officer can do nothing but refer to another person such as a lawyer, etc.
Old May 20, 2012, 01:44 PM   #30
Single Six

Thanks, Fishing Cabin. I just really wanted to get that thought out there.
Old May 20, 2012, 01:53 PM   #31
animal

Another "well said" to SingleSix

on a different point-
Quote:
When I explain the exact ordinance I want enforced and the cops wants to know if I have a law degree it tends to infuriate educated people. You don't have to be a lawyer to READ the local ordinances and laws.
Both the cop and complainant have the obligation to keep their emotions in check.
There are also seven magic words that almost always work when faced with a cop that is reluctant to enforce an ordinance …
"I want to swear out a complaint." It immediately tells them you are serious, and believe yourself to be in the right.
It also (usually) puts you on the hook to show up in court. If you’re not willing to do that, though … how important is it that the ordinance is enforced ? Why should it be important to the cop if the person "wronged" doesn’t see it as important enough to see it enforced himself?
Old May 20, 2012, 04:16 PM   #32
graysmoke

Thus I reside in the mountains, were I am the law, judge, and jury. If I needed the law. It would take approx 30 minutes for any law enforcement to arrive. Let alone get lost.
When I go into town...Then I obide by the laws of the land, and respect the local Sherrifs dept.
Old May 20, 2012, 04:23 PM   #33
animal

Funny, everywhere I go, cops are different … even in the same town, or even in the same neighborhood. Whenever everything looks the same, I try to check my vision.

btw, not a cop ... had plenty of run-ins with bad cops(some extremely serious), and plenty of good encounters with good ones too.
Old May 20, 2012, 04:58 PM   #34
Marquezj16

Quote:
We are aware that we are expected to always be professional. Curiously, it seems that we're seldom, if ever, expected to act like human beings.
When you let your bad day affect the way you treat an individual, then you are not doing your best. This has nothing to do with being human or feeling stressed, pressure, anger or anything else.

I have nothing againts police officers. My best friend and his brothers and Dad are all in law enforcement. Some of my best buds in service are in law enforcement. They all leave their personal problems behind when they are on duty.

Let me ask you this, have you ever had to perform CPR or any lifesaving measure on a BG after they have shot at you or your friends?

You're personal life can be all messed up but when your profession is to protect the public, you can't let it affect you. You stay professional.

Last edited by Marquezj16; May 20, 2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: poor word choice
Old May 20, 2012, 05:24 PM   #35
Single Six

Tricolordad: Thank you for underscoring what I've already said. Meanwhile, I fail to see how you can label us as "all the same", unless you've met, talked to, and spent time with every individual LEO in this country. Until you've actually done that, petulantly dismissing us all with a blanket statement such as yours only shows you to be just another cop-hater. I repeat: Google search "Me, The Lousy Cop." It says it all.
Old May 20, 2012, 05:34 PM   #36
Single Six

Marquezj16: At no point did I say that having a bad day affects how I treat individuals. However, by virtue of your statement that it "nothing to do" with being human or stressed, you have validated what I said earlier: We are often not expected to be human. Yes, we strive for professionalism. Yes, we strive to maintain the highest degree of it, in spite of whatever difficulties our personal lives [or our jobs] have thrown our way. But no one I know of gets it right, all the time, 100%. To answer your question: No, I have not had to perform CPR on anyone who had tried to murder me or another officer. My question for you is: Have you ever worked as a LEO?
Old May 20, 2012, 05:53 PM   #37
JohnKSa
Staff

Closed for topic drift/cop-bashing.

OP is welcome to try again.