The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 2, 2011, 11:40 AM   #26
mes227

I don't understand why background checks are required for a someone with a CCW permit. That permit requires a more robust background check plus (usually) training. It should be a de facto compliance with the $25 check required to purchase.
Old January 2, 2011, 12:12 PM   #27
zombieslayer

Here its $5.
Old January 2, 2011, 07:42 PM   #28
Dilbert

Dang, you guys have to pay for them? Lame.
Gun Control-gun con·trol n. definition 1. The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker received that fatal bullet wound. 2. The ability to hit what you are aiming at.
Old January 2, 2011, 08:25 PM   #29
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
If you are going to be a firearm enthusiast you need to go ahead and figure out how to fix this problem not how to 'get around it.'
If you got a denial, you need to get it fixed. Somewhere on the federal level, you've got a red flag next to your name. It's in your best interests to get it sorted out.

I've seen three cases where identity theft was involved. One of those cases involved an employee at Los Alamos almost losing his clearance because someone with the same name was forging checks two states over.

The appeal process stinks, I know. But there might be something there that really needs clearing up.
Old January 3, 2011, 08:53 PM   #30
jhernar-15

so i went to my gun shop today and we re-ran an app as sugested by the FDLE and guess what !!! I STILL DONT HAVE IT !!! FML!! they said their systems were down and they would call back after a supervisor looks at it ! WTH is going on with the FDLE !! seriously .... so i have to go back tomorrow to call back and see if i can finaly take my gun home after 3 months!! wow i cant believe this crap! they said they would call back so i waited at the gun shop after about 2 hrs!! we called back and they said a supervisor would call by the end of the day and it never happened....
Old January 3, 2011, 09:06 PM   #31
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
WTH is going on with the FDLE !!
Did you go through with the NICS appeal? That is what you have to do to get this cleared up. Local law-enforcement cannot clear up whatever is holding up the process.
Old January 3, 2011, 09:39 PM   #32
wally626

Quote:
Did you go through with the NICS appeal? That is what you have to do to get this cleared up. Local law-enforcement cannot clear up whatever is holding up the process.
jhernar-15 said in his Jan 1 update he got his UPIN, so the appeal has gone through. Holidays are never the best time to hit the bureaucracy, nor Mondays after a week off. Hopefully better luck tomorrow.
Old January 3, 2011, 11:05 PM   #33
jhernar-15

yeah already got my UPIN so the appeal through NICS is done. to be honest i didnt think how it was a holiday weekend so im sure thats not helping with the new app. thats probably why the system was down... but i think is lazyness at the same time !!
Old January 4, 2011, 11:33 AM   #34
Edward429451

So you're totally clean and they continue to jerk you around...Probably not much you can do but be patient and work through the appeals process...except go buy 3 guns off paper to compensate.

So when it finally goes through and they say ok and promise youthat this wont happen again (because they fixed it)...go buy another one the next day to see if they was blowing smoke.
Old January 4, 2011, 08:44 PM   #35
jhernar-15

so finally got my gun today!!! holy crap!! im so happy yet ****** it took 3 months. i went yesturday they said they would call back so i went back today and they couldnt even find records of the call! so they did some researched and called back to do another app they approved right away !! the whole process has been rediculous !! cant believe how unorganized the FDLE is WOW... anyways cant wait to buy another gun... i wonder if ill have to deal with **** !!
Old January 4, 2011, 09:16 PM   #36
youngunz4life

yeah buying one more might be a good idea and worth it anyways