The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 26, 2010, 02:32 AM   #1
swizzle

Gifting in CA??

I just have a little question about gifting in california. I am not 21 but i do owns rifles. I want a pistol and i was wondering if my Dad could buy the pistol and gift it to me or if i still have to be 21. It would make sense that i would still have to be 21, but im just making sure. Also could i travel across state lines to buy a firearm such as in nevada and have it unregistered or do i have to be a resident of nevada.
Old December 28, 2010, 04:02 AM   #2
mes227

To buy a handgun in Nevada you must be a Nevada resident (and be prepared to prove it) or have the dealer ship it to a FFL in California (and the, of course, California law applies). The cleanest path for what you're trying to accomplish might be this: have your dad buy the gun for himself and then loan it to you 'til you turn 21, then pay a FFL to transfer it to you (that will cost around $50).
Old December 28, 2010, 08:53 AM   #3
wally626

see http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf starting at page 37.

Quote:
• Loans to minors by a parent, legal guardian, or grandparent: - Long guns may be loaned for an indefinite period. - Handguns may be loaned for the purpose of engaging in a lawful activity, and the loan does not
exceed the period of time necessary to participate in the activity.

Transfers of handguns from father to son, does not require the use of a FFL but does require filling a "Handgun Safety Certificate" with the state police.

You cannot buy out-of-state to avoid the CA gun laws.
Old December 29, 2010, 11:16 AM   #4
mes227

Wally, thanks for the post on the rules for loans, that's very helpful. Do you know if private party transfers in Calif (i) require that the handgun be on the approved list and (ii) require an FFL is the transferor is out-of-state?
Old December 29, 2010, 05:33 PM   #5
wally626

What I know of CA gun laws is in the PDF I listed. Out-of-state transfers, with the limited exemption of items transferred formally via a Will would certainly require a FLL. I do not know if there are grandfather exemptions for handguns not on the approved list when transferred within the family or not, in-state.