The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2010, 10:48 AM   #1
howlnmad

Necking up

Just a simple question. Anyone see any problems with necking up a 264 Win Mag to a 7mm Rem Mag?

howlnmad
Old May 20, 2010, 10:49 AM   #2
briandg

not really, but how do you plan to expand it?

I just realized, have you checked the case dimensions so that you know that it can safely be done? IIRC, they were both based on the .338, but that doesn't mean that the shoulders and other landmarks will match.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:24 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

It looks like a pretty good fit. The only fly in the ointment that I see is that a maximum neck wall thickness for the .264 looks to be about .0170", while the maximum neck wall thickness for the 7 mm is 0.0155". Expanding 0.0170" up from 0.2640" to 0.2840" ID will reduce its neck thickness not quite enough, to 0.0159". So, while it is unlikely your .264 brass will be exactly at maximum neck wall thickness, it is still possible you will need to outside turn half a half a thousandth off the finished case.

Otherwise the shoulder angle and root position and body and head sizes are all the same. You should be good to go.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 20, 2010, 12:16 PM   #4
howlnmad

Thanks guys. I thought it would work buy just wanted others opinions.
briandg,for the initial pass I planned on using a Lee FL sizer with the expander turned down just a bit. I think the long taper on these will help.
unclenick, I guess I better polish up on my neck turning. It's been awhile.

howlnmad
Old May 20, 2010, 01:09 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

You may need to, but you may not? It occurred to me after posting that, if you would do a chamber cast or even just check the OD of a fired case neck, you might well find your 7 mm chamber has extra neck room, anyway? Benchrest shooters go to a lot of trouble to minimize the extra room around the neck to improve accuracy, often getting special chambers with smaller neck portions than normal just so they can turn their case necks down and still have only a thousandth of an inch clearance or so. So, if your chamber neck is big enough, take advantage of the tighter fit.
Old May 20, 2010, 04:18 PM   #6
howlnmad

Unclenick,
Thanks again, I hadn't thought of that and probably never would have.

howlnmad
Old May 20, 2010, 04:50 PM   #7
tkofoid

In terms of neck thickness: Fire a round or two, then, without resizing try to to push a bullet into the neck of the fired cases. If it goes freely,,,you are good to go. If it is really tight, it needs neck turning. Remember in turning; a little dab will do ya!
Old May 21, 2010, 04:04 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Hmm. Sounds like a test sequence where you risk a high pressure event, then check to see if the case was the right size? It's pretty typical for the very edge of the case mouth to be slightly curlled in and not reflect the chamber diameter. That happens because pressure has equalized around the edge of the mouth as gas started to bleed out past it and around the bullet before it expanded that last little bit.

You'd need to cut the curl off or use a universal expander die to open it slightly, then see if the bullet slips in the rest of the neck to learn how tightly the neck holds the bullet? But the fact your gun survived is the first clue that the case neck wasn't jammed into the chamber overly tightly. Just do a diameter measurement on the neck of the loaded round and again afterward to see if it expands enough? SAAMI specs on some cartridges allow for as little as half a thousandth between maximum brass and minimum chamber, so it doesn't take much.