The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 1, 2010, 10:56 PM   #1
GB in WY

870 cop gun question

Got a question about my 870 police shotgun. History: Bought this gun used in about 1983, from a fellow officer. Basic cop shotgun, 20in., rifle sights. Came with a bunch of accessories, most of which have long been traded to people who didn't have any idea what a 12 gauge slug fired from the shoulder would do to your face when fired with a Rem. factory folding stock I handled many shotguns during the 15 years I spent on the job. Winchesters, Remingtons, HiStandards, S&Ws, Mossbergs, and Ithicas and with the exception of one of the Ithicas and my Remington, they all had one thing in common. They were Cylinder bore. One of the Ithicas had a modified bore ( which I have read is not all that uncommon) and my Remington, which has a Full choke. I have looked at , literally, dozens of Rem. 870 police guns and have never handled another with a full choke barrel...So the question is: anybody else own or know of a full choke Rem. cop gun or have I just been living in a dark place for too long?
Old March 2, 2010, 02:20 AM   #2
xm21

Ithaca.There is only one "I" in Ithaca.
Old March 2, 2010, 02:33 AM   #3
bamaranger

I have never heard of such a thing......

in a fixed choke, rifle sighted bbl.

Is it possible that a full choked, bead sighted, plain bbl was cut, and a set of rem sights added (professionally) later?
Old March 2, 2010, 09:13 AM   #4
Scattergun Bob

Quote:
in a fixed choke, rifle sighted bbl.

Is it possible that a full choked, bead sighted, plain bbl was cut, and a set of rem sights added (professionally) later?
In my option, if the barrel WAS cut, it would no longer have a choke restriction.

I also have never seen a TRUE 870 Police scattergun barrel in full choke. Have you actualy checked the bore restriction, or are you reading the barrel markings?

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old March 2, 2010, 09:20 AM   #5
Lee Lapin

If you measure the bore diameter with a caliper and it turns out smaller than .729" or thereabouts, I'd be surprised. Not going to say it's impossible, but it's a pretty rare bird if it's factory.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old March 2, 2010, 09:55 AM   #6
zippy13

Original barrel?
Old March 3, 2010, 12:19 AM   #7
GB in WY

First to xm21: It didn't look right when I wrote it. My bad. Ithaca not Ithica

Next, Barrel appears to be original, With period Remington sights. It is marked with a "F" and when checked with my guage it is not the tightest full choke I have ever seen but is certainly is atleast tighter than IM (improved mod). Don't have a caliper handy so will have to get back on the exact measurement.

Anyway, thanks to all who replied. GB in WY