The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2010, 06:28 PM   #1
mapwd

Load data discrepency Magazine Vs.Website????

I was using a recipe out of the Hogdon's reloading magazine. It gave a 9mm 147 grn bullet min. charge of 3.9 and a max. of 4.4. I got huge Keyholing with this round. I look up Hogdon website and use their data page there and it gives a max. charge of 3.2 grns and a max. of 3.6!!!!! My load of 4.2 grns was way over max. according to the website, could this cause my Keyholing????

When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny. - Thomas Jefferson 1743-1826

Old February 20, 2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Jim243

Take a deep breath and slow down.

What powder are you quoting? What type of bullet are you talking about? What make and model gun are you using? And what OAL did you set the cartrage too? And at what distance did the keyholing occure??

Keyholing is due to unstable bullet flight, are you using "platted bullets", full metal jacket, hollow points or cast lead??

If cast lead did they have gas checks on them, did you keep the fps under 1,100 fps, were they flat point or round nose.

Please give us a little more information to work with.

Thanks
Jim

As an example - in some Glocks you can not use plated or cast lead bullets, since the rifling in these guns will not stablize that type of bullet.

Last edited by Jim243; February 20, 2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old February 20, 2010, 06:53 PM   #3
mapwd

sorry, guess that would help. Gun is a W.German P226. Bullet is a 147 Grn Lead flat point w/out gas checks. Powder is Hogdon's Titegroup. OAL is at 1.17 (which I believe is too long), and target was at approx. 25 Ft.

When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny. - Thomas Jefferson 1743-1826

Old February 20, 2010, 08:46 PM   #4
AlaskaMike

I've never had a powder issue cause keyholing. The only time I had keyholing was when the bullet was too small diameter.

Are you getting significant leading?

Mike