The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 22, 2015, 10:52 PM   #1
Model12Win

Single Shot Shotguns for Defense

Hello everyone! Well I have been meaning to do this for a while, and decided now is a good time to do so since I just bought an H&R Pardner in 20 gauge, a shotgun that I've long been meaning to get. I already have a Pardner in 12 gauge, that I had professionally cut down to make an 18.5" barreled "single shot coach gun" if you will, and while it's a marvelous shooter, the heavy recoil of that small light gun gave me impetus to seek a 20 gauge version out. Finally, I got one this week. It is a model SB1-021, which is the full-size smooth bore model with 26" barrel and bead front sight.

The gun was NIB when I bought it, and I specifically sought a new one due to the fact that H&R 1871 is no longer in business as of earlier this year, which is a huge shame. However, the Pardner single shot shotguns will continue to live on for decades to come. Countless thousands have been made during it's production life, and even some of the very early guns can still be found in the corners of old homesteads and barns, perhaps battered on the outside but still fully serviceable. One can imagine bailing wire and duct tape holding these old trusty guns together, and while worn they still have years of faithful service left. There are also of course numerous guns in new condition, like mine, and they will continue to live on for years to come. Here is my new shotgun:

My gun, at least for now, stands at the end of a long pedigree of reliable, versatile, and fantastically simple weapons known as the Pardner single shot shotgun. You all probably have seen these guns for sale, often found in the used rack of your favorite corner gun store. They are well known as a hunter's first shotgun, due to the simplicity and straightforwardness of loading and firing. They are also known as an economical choice, popular with those who can afford nothing better, at least in their present situation whatever it may be. The reader might think of these simple shotguns as something to pass over in favor of a choice that offers better firepower, but firepower is not the big draw to these shotguns. The Pardner and other single shots also are beloved by a group of enthusiasts who value the durability, light weight, and ease of use of this particular style of scattergun... a club that I am shamelessly a part of.

What are these guns good for? Many things, just like any shotgun. They are a joy to hunt with for one. While the need for a fast follow up shot is an undeniable necessity in certain hunting disciplines, the average shotgunner will find that for most game hunting, they are only going to get one clean shot on the animal. The single shot shotgun is fantastic for hunting due to the fact that it is, needless to say, built to fire just one round of ammunition at a time. With that comes a compact action that is lighter in weight and more handy than almost any other hunting gun available, pointing and carrying beautifully. Scarcely heavier or bulkier than a bolt action .22 rimfire rifle, yet offering the power and performance only a shotgun can deliver in the field. Naturally, with such light guns firing heavy loads, recoil can be a problem, but with proper load selection and the use of various recoil-reduction devices, it becomes largely a non-issue.

Aside from the obvious use as a hunting gun, or in the interim of serving in the game fields, these shotguns give ubiquitous service as "kitchen door guns" all over the world. Being handy, powerful and affordable, they lend themselves to being propped up in the corner or hung above the proverbial kitchen door, ready at a moments notice to dispatch a pesky varmint of the four legged and two legged variety.

It is the latter "varmint" that this post will focus on. Yes, that's right, these single shot shotguns can and have been put to use for the purposes of self defense against violent human aggressors. At first glance, it might seem as if the single shot was totally obsolete for this purpose, especially today when various pump action and even semi-automatic shotguns are available for the budget minded.

Still, thousands everywhere don't have a pump or a semi-auto. Right now, they have a single shot shotgun... and that is reason enough to be as proficient in it's use as a defense long gun as possible. Let's look at, or rather watch what an expert has to say on the subject:

Here is a YouTube video featuring Clint Smith running a single shot shotgun with self preservation in mind. Notice his technique. It's more or less the same technique that I use.

Here is the same technique used by me at the range today with my new 20 gauge pardner. In the video, I am using an Allen brand elastic side saddle, which is an excellent and very inexpensive accessory for anyone with a single shot shotgun, or any shotgun for that matter. As you can clearly see, you can keep a steady stream of buckshot flying downrange without too much drama. I am quite out of practice, I've only had this gun for two days and this is the second time I've fired it, and it's been some time since I've shot my 12 gauge cut down version. Speaking of that, here is a picture of my 12 gauge 18.5" Pardner with a Smith and Wesson J-frame for a size comparison:

As you can see, this shotgun is very compact. The lack of action length means these guns are inherently going to be at least three inches shorter than a repeating shotgun with the same length barrel. Even my new 20 gauge with it's 26" barrel is still a handy weapon. This is a great thing for a weapon meant to be used at close range, like the smooth bore shotgun.

As for what ammunition to use for the purposes of home defense, it's no different than any other shotgun. A good rule of thumb is to use 2 3/4" shells in these single shots. This reduces recoil compared to the 3" magnum shells these guns are often chambered in, but still offer plenty of effectiveness. Choose a shot size that gives adequate penetration in flesh, and that also limits overpenetration risks. There are a multitude of online tests that have been conducted that showcase performance of various birdshot and buckshot round in ballistics gelatin, widely regarded as the most realistic testing media for home a projectile behaves in human flesh. Birdshot is generally not recommend for defense against humans due to it's limited penetration, but it makes for excellent training ammo and makes short work of paper targets at the range or other objects you might be plinking at:

For my 12 gauge Pardner, I use Winchester 2 3/4" #1 buckshot loads that pack 16 .30 caliber pellets per shell. For my 20 gauge Pardner, I am going to be purchasing some Remington 2 3/4" #3 buckshot loads with 20 .25 caliber pellets per shell.

Few will argue with the shotgun's effect on target during the close range violent encounters of a home defense situation. While you might only have one round in the chamber, the fact that it's a charge of buckshot is a very good thing. As for the single shot shotgun itself, I can think of no other gun out there that is as easy or safe to operate for the novice, yet can still be reloaded quickly as needed. There is a good reason why these are a popular first firearm.

If you find yourself out there with nothing more than a single shot shotgun, or have one available as a secondary home defense option, I hope you find this article enlightening. These weapons, while limited in firepower compared to other options, are nonetheless very capable of self defense with the proper training and very little else. If you don't have a single shot shotgun, they can be had for low prices and are often in good condition despite age or prior use. They are as much fun to shoot as any shotgun I can think of, and the same reasons why they are such nice hunting guns are the same reasons why they're a joy to just go plinking with. These are rugged tools, built to last, and will be with you till the end, and then some.

Thanks for reading, and take care!

Last edited by Model12Win; August 23, 2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old August 23, 2015, 08:16 AM   #2
SARuger

Ive seen guys shoot doubles with a single shot at the skeet range!

I own a NEF 20g that I sent off to Mike Orlin and had the barrel cut down 2" and TruChokes installed.

I use it for squirrel, rabbit, deer. It kicks like a mule so I don't shoot it a lot but I know it will get the job done when I call on it.

As for home defense, why not? I would however, make sure its secured, so it won't fall over and discharge. I know the hammer has a safety block in it but just be safe.

My mom has a winchester 37 single shot 20G that she uses for HD. I have a Maverick 88 20g that I use.
Old August 23, 2015, 09:28 AM   #3
g.willikers

The Thunder Ranch video you linked is very convincing.
But make sure the spur on the external hammer of the single shot shotgun lends itself to the technique.
If it's too short it will be too hard to rapidly re-cock.
The hammer spur should be reachable without having to re-position the hand on the stock much if at all.
Just a thought.
Old August 23, 2015, 06:09 PM   #4
B.L.E.

Quote:
The hammer spur should be reachable without having to re-position the hand on the stock much if at all.
Just a thought.
Or you could simply buy one of those hammerless single shot shotguns that cock upon opening the gun.
Old August 23, 2015, 07:31 PM   #5
Gunplummer

SARuger, I can believe the double on clays. When I was a kid, the neighbor, a minister, used to keep a shell in his hand and often got a double kill on pheasants.
Old August 23, 2015, 07:56 PM   #6
SARuger

The guy I saw shoot doubles with a single kept the second shell between two fingers on his trigger hand. Crazy fast reload!
Old August 23, 2015, 09:03 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

First centerfire was a 12ga pardner. I was very confident in it for self defense with a long hallway leading from the stairs to my bedroom.
Old August 24, 2015, 01:47 AM   #8
colbad

I bought one in 20g for my son when he was a little guy. The 20g was a bit much at first. Have any of you guys heard of a four-tenner? Its a tube that goes inside a lager gauge single or double barrel shotgun that brings it down to .410. I found a couple new ones in the box, in my grandmother's stuff after she died. Its probably more than 50 years old and I have never seen anything like it since. Originally made by Savage and sold for $10.50.
Old August 24, 2015, 01:48 AM   #9
RMcL

"I already have a Pardner in 12 gauge, that I had professionally cut down to make an 18.5" barreled "single shot coach gun" if you will, and while it's a marvelous shooter, the heavy recoil of that small light gun gave me impetus to seek a 20 gauge version out." Model12Win

The 8 pellet "00B reduced recoil "tactical" load from Federal uses the Flite-Control wad to produce tight patterns even from cylinder bore shotguns. The eight 50 grain pellets have a total weight and velocity less than standard 20 gauge buckshot loads for a lower recoil signature!
Old August 24, 2015, 06:17 AM   #10
kozak6

Grandpa's H&R used to leave bruises when I was in high school.

If you already have one or get an awesome deal, fine. Good enough for sporting and beats a baseball bat for defense (until after the first shot).

But a new one costs the same as the Pardner pump action.
Old August 24, 2015, 08:04 PM   #11
B.L.E.

Quote:
Good enough for sporting and beats a baseball bat for defense (until after the first shot).
After the first shot, a single shot shotgun can still function as a baseball bat. However, any gun beats no gun in a self defense situation, but still, there are better choices for HD use in my opinion.

Now, I have always liked single shot shotguns, mostly due to nostalgia from when I was a teenager hunting doves for the first time.
I still have my old Ithaca M-66 12 gauge and shoot it every once in a while, mostly in black powder cartridge trap events where its open hammer makes it legal for competition.
I also shoot modern trap with a Browning BT-99 single shot, last Saturday I loaded up some Federal paper shells with Red Dot. The unique odor of paper shells loaded with Red Dot as they eject takes me back to when I first shot a shotgun, I call it my nostalgia load.
Old August 26, 2015, 04:06 PM   #12
WV_gunner

I own a few singles and doubles. It's nice to see other single shot fans. I wouldn't use one for self defense but one is much better than no gun at all. I've hunted with singles, just keep an extra round in your hand.
Old August 27, 2015, 06:56 AM   #13
hartcreek

Actually you can lean to hold three shells between the fingers of your non trigger hand and also have a slip on shell holder.
Old August 27, 2015, 09:26 PM   #14
WV_gunner

I unsuccessfully bear hunted with my NEF Handi Rifle. 2 others had bolt guns and 2 others had semi autos. They all had scopes and I didn't. My gun was light and practical. Everyone thought I was nuts for using a singleshot. I carried a shell in my left hand and elastic shell holder full. I have an .410 as well. I almost bought a 10 gauge one a couple times but the first time the gun was done up in camo and just too much. It was $300. The other one I had found just after buying a Stevens. But that H&R was set up for slugs, even had a scope. Although it was tempting I passed. The Stevens was cheaper and with a longer barrel with a full choke. I'd like to have one in .44 mag. I wish I could have one in .50 AE. I'd like to collect them in the odd outdated shotgun rounds. They made them in about every possible size.
Old August 28, 2015, 05:30 AM   #15
darkgael

bear

Quote:
I unsuccessfully bear hunted with my NEF Handi Rifle. 2 others had bolt guns and 2 others had semi autos. They all had scopes and I didn't. My gun was light and practical. Everyone thought I was nuts for using a singleshot.
Not sure of your point there.... you had this "light and practical" gun and were not successful.
So...?
Pete
Old August 28, 2015, 04:47 PM   #16
WV_gunner

My point was break action single shots are, in my opinion, the best gun to hunt with. They are shorter and lighter than any other kind of action. I was unsuccessful because the lack of bear. Out of 5 hunters 2 of us found the same tracks that disappeared. Hundred of a acres were covered by me and my friend. Everyone else stayed in their own little spots. It just wasn't good for bear hunting, about every other animal was seen though.

Last edited by WV_gunner; August 28, 2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old August 28, 2015, 05:41 PM   #17
Sharkbite

Quote:
I was unsuccessful because the lack of beer.
Or maybe the quantity of it
Old August 30, 2015, 06:36 PM   #18
Model12Win

Yes, the lack of beer can result in failure!
Old September 3, 2015, 11:40 AM   #19
Mannlicher

repeating shotguns were invented for a reason. Yes, you can maybe, get by with a single shot, but if it's purpose is to protect your life, and the lives of your family, why compromise, or step backward?

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old September 3, 2015, 06:14 PM   #20
Sharkbite

A single shot CAN be used very effectively, watch Clint Smith work one and ask if you would be happy being downrange

BUT, it leads to a harder manual of arms DURING the fight. This leads to the possibility of fumbling and bumbling ammo management and reloads.

I would not CHOOSE to go into harms way with it.. But if thats what was at hand as bullets started flying, id make that single COUNT
Old September 4, 2015, 12:23 AM   #21
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
repeating shotguns were invented for a reason. Yes, you can maybe, get by with a single shot, but if it's purpose is to protect your life, and the lives of your family, why compromise, or step backward?
+1 If that is what you have and you have to do with it, it is a sight better then chucking rocks.
Old September 4, 2015, 07:50 AM   #22
jaguarxk120

If that's all I had is a single shot, I would have a bucket of rocks too.
Old September 6, 2015, 10:27 PM   #23
Kephas78

A single shot shotgun is an adequate home defense weapon. It is infinitely better than having no weapon at all and they are cheap enough that everyone should have one. It is even better if you have two single shots, and even better yet if you have someone who can reload for you. With a bit of practice a person can reload a single shot fairly quickly. #1 buckshot is a fantastic choice for a home defense load. It provides plenty of penetration and you get more balls per round than the bigger balls. I don't like going smaller than #1 buckshot, but NEVER go smaller than #4 Buck for home defense. At #4 the penetration is questionable at best.

Keep an eye out for Federal Law Enforcement/Tactical #1 Buckshot LE132 It uses a "flite control" wad which keeps an extremely tight pattern
Old September 7, 2015, 10:06 PM   #24
jstert

my favorite defense long gun is an h&r/nef single 20ga: fast, cheap, reliable, easy. the 12ga has too much recoil, 410 ammo is a tad expensive. you can find a decent used one for $100. one should be in everyone's arsenal.
Old September 11, 2015, 04:24 AM   #25
Gunplummer

I don't know about a lot of this. I read the police reports in the newspapers. Intruders in homes, usually one shot and done. More than one intruder and the rest take off when they see the first one drop. Drivebys- a whole lot of shots and hits, but I doubt you would be carrying a shotgun anyway.