The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old November 1, 2014, 02:21 AM   #1
Josh Smith

XBoxHero!

I read in one of your posts you're in Indiana.

Where at in Indiana? If you're close by, I would be happy to go to the range with you and try to get some of the shooting problems you're having taken care of.

I'll also let ya' shoot a Mosin, Gewehr 88/05, and if you're a lefty, a precision heavy-barrel .22LR.

I know what all these rifles are capable of doing. I also know how I shoot, and if you'd like me to have a go at that AR clone of yours, I can see if there's a problem with it.

Just an offer.

Regards,

Josh
Old November 1, 2014, 08:41 AM   #2
Pond, James Pond

If you want to get a member's attention without the risk of the communique slipping through the gaps of a post search, you can try a Private Message.

Click on their username in any of their posts and a drop down list will offer sending a private message as one of the options.

Ironically, I could have sent this as a private message: do as I say not as I do!!
Old November 1, 2014, 08:59 AM   #3
Ibmikey

With 197 posts in one week and the niaive content of many of the posts I assumed he was a kid with zero experience with firearms, I seem to be wrong on the age. Connecting with an experienced shooter may be of great benefit to Xbox and I commend the OP for his offer.
Old November 1, 2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Indi

Josh you are a kind man. Thanks for trying to help a shooter out. I hope he takes you up on your offer. Im sure he will learn a ton.
Old November 1, 2014, 11:53 AM   #5
xboxhero

I read in one of your posts you're in Indiana.

ummm not close enough to wabash. i'm by gary. you know where that is? i don't have enough ammo or money for gas to do anything now. i only get 100 a week and i have 2 bills to pay next week . 95 bucks worth. i think i went to wabash for the feast of the hunters moon when i was in school. maybe elementary school. it had been so long ago i don't remember. it was a feild trip. there isn't a problem with my ar. i'm just a bad shot with rifles. the sights probably need to be set on it anyways. well standing i'm a bad shot. only bb and pellet rifles i can be good at standing. i used to own a mosin nagant.
Old November 1, 2014, 12:18 PM   #6
Josh Smith

Hello,

Yep, I know where Gary is! Up there by Chicago and Little Chicago!

I am 120 miles from you.

Know what's between us? About the same distance? Warsaw, Indiana, with the Warsaw Rifle and Pistol Club!

I've not been there. Looking at their website, it appears they have a 100 yard rimfire rifle range, a 200 yard centerfire rifle range, and a couple for handgun.

Looks like membership requirements are thus:

Belong to the NRA
Have an Indiana handgun permit (Personal Protection or Hunting/Target permit)
Undergo range orientation
Conduct 3 safety shoots
Membership approval

I meet these requirements or can meet them. Already an NRA and JPFO member (no, not Jewish; don't have to be!) and have my lifetime pistol permit.

I'm not saying we need to do this right away. It's getting cold and the cold is not conducive to enjoyable shooting.

I'll see about getting a membership and we can plan for spring of 2015, say?

I was a really bad shot once. Someone watched me, showed me what I was doing wrong, and now I'm a better shot. Not Camp Perry or anything, but good enough to suit me.

Ammo's expensive and I hate to think of you popping away and not hitting anything.

Regards,

Josh
Old November 1, 2014, 12:28 PM   #7
xboxhero

warsaw is to far for me

warsaw is to far for me. it is 2 1/2 hours straight east down us 30. i can't drive that far. i drive my parents cars because i can't afford a car or to keep one up. they wouldn't want me driving that far. because if i did and broke down they'd have to come and pick me up.
Old November 1, 2014, 01:05 PM   #8
tahunua001

if not warsaw, why not the fish and game public range at kingsbury? you said you regularly shoot 39 miles from your place, what is an additional 4 miles?
Old November 1, 2014, 01:57 PM   #9
Josh Smith

Hello,

Kingsburry would work. Never been there; could be interesting.

Or heck, I could even come up to Gary if it comes to that. What kind of car do you have? I was an auto technician specializing in GM and Jeep at one point in time. Diagnosis, mainly, but can fix electrical, electronic and mechanical systems.

I also have extensive hotrod experience. The things we built for the street outran he police a few times back in the day. We were not the smartest at 18, but I don't think anyone is.

327 in a 1980 Malibu, first with dual roller chains then switched over to gears when we got the even more radical camshaft. That thing produced almost zero vacuum!

The 383 stroker we built for the '85 Camaro was even more powerful.

Both ran Holley carbs. The 327 had a single plane Edelbrock manifold and was tuned to rev high. I was in charge of tuning out the carbs and timing; my friend was better at actual engine assembly.

The 383 had an Edelbrock dual plane with long runners, stub stack if I recall, and some nicely tuned exhaust.

They were both beasts and both produced in excess of 400hp. Strictly speaking, that was a bit more than was legal for the street.

My daily driver was a 1976 Jeep CJ5 304cid with 390cfm four-barrel Holley secondary, Crane cam, long runner Edelbrock intake manifold, and fenderwell exit headers running Cherrybombs straight off 'em. I sold it after failing to find a Dana 44 rear axle off a '75 or prior CJ. I kept blowing the Corporate 20 AMC rear.

Incidentally, my CJ5 had no back seat. I turned that small bed into a speaker box, which worked really nice since it had a fiberglass tub. The rest was high density plywood, weatherproofed, and I ran four 12" subs, two 6x9 mids, and four tweets off of two amps. There was an amp dedicated to the four subs and another dedicated to the tweets and the 6x9 mids.

Anyway, I could take a looksee at your car. I'm probably qualified.

Hoosiers help each other, right?

Josh
Old November 1, 2014, 02:41 PM   #10
tahunua001

I thought Hoosiers was a Canadian derogatory term?
Old November 1, 2014, 03:59 PM   #11
xboxhero

i don't own a car. i've been unemployed for 8 years. no one will hire me anymore. i'm not in gary. i'm by gary. trust me you wouldn't want to go to gary. it is a majorally bad ghetto. lol. i know the foot tricks, using just my finger to pull the trigger. not moving anything else. the breathing trick and to keep as strong as a grip on the gun as possiable. also to put the cheek on the stock as hard as possible. but none work for me standing. i use my parents cars.

Last edited by xboxhero; November 1, 2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old November 2, 2014, 06:36 PM   #12
xboxhero

i'm waiting for my shippment of gun blue to come in to see if it will work on my rifle. also i plan on getting a concealed carry holster for my xd.
Old November 2, 2014, 06:50 PM   #13
Josh Smith

If it's real cold blue (usually muriatic acid) it will work on anything that's magnetic.

It will not work on stainless, chrome, aluminum, brass, etc.

The XD is a decent gun.

Regards,

Josh
Old November 2, 2014, 07:04 PM   #14
xboxhero

umm i heard about the recall on xds. mine is like 2 years old. i think it needs the part replaced that was recalled. but i never use it. so i don't care. lol. umm i think the bolt carrier assembly in my mp15 is steel. i think the blue will stick to it. unless it is coated with melonite.
Old November 2, 2014, 07:08 PM   #15
xboxhero

i might be getting the holster the week after this. i got 2 bills to pay this week. so i'll be taped out for the week. the holster i think will run me 40 dollars or so with shipping.
Old November 2, 2014, 07:24 PM   #16
Josh Smith

Is it a full size XD, or is it an XD-S or XDM?

The XD-S and maybe the XDM can slamfire, but of course it's up to you.

With the recall, as I understand it, you'll get a new upgraded sear and striker. Could improve the trigger pull, I dunno...

Josh
Old November 2, 2014, 07:43 PM   #17
dayman

From the picture you posted I think you have a full size XD, not the subcompact XD-s.
I think the little XD-s was the only one that had a recall.
If that is what you have you should send it in. If you don't shoot it you won't mid it while it's gone, the turn around is probably pretty fast at this point, and they gave me a free mag when they sent it back. So that was cool.

Take a bunch of pictures when you do the bluing, and post them.
I've never actually used cold blue, and would be pretty interested to see how it works out for you.
You'll either have found a way to pretty up a work bc, or generated some definitive proof that it didn't take.
I don't think there's any way you can hurt anything easily, so long as you stop it down first.
Either way it should be informative.
Old November 2, 2014, 08:05 PM   #18
xboxhero

i can't delete this.

Last edited by xboxhero; November 3, 2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old November 2, 2014, 10:51 PM   #19
tahunua001

Quote:
the recalls only covered the XD-S 3.3 inch models. all XD, XDM, and the 4.0 XD-S models should be safe and free from the recalls. the XD tacticool is not affected by the recall.

as for carrying a gun that does have the possibility of slam firing... nothing will make a man change his tune from "I don't care" and "I won't have defense while it's at the factory" quite like shooting yourself in the foot while chambering a round.
Old November 3, 2014, 01:10 AM   #20
skizzums

well john smith, I think you got turned down on your date. wish I leved closer, I woulda jumped on the offer, would even dress nice too.

thanks for being a helpful shooter and looking to mentor an inexperienced shooter, the sport needs more nice gents like your self. you couldn't imagine how many folks I run into sayig they are interested in firearms, then when I offer to take them out , at my expense, can even shoot up all MY ammo, most people still flake out on me. all you can do is keep the offers out there and hopefully one day you'll get someone to enjoy the sport and make it a lifelong hobby. keep it up
Old November 3, 2014, 11:11 AM   #21
jclayto

Josh Smith, today you have restored my faith in the human race

Thanks for being an awesome forum member.
Old November 3, 2014, 04:52 PM   #22
xboxhero

ok thanks for the info.
Old November 3, 2014, 07:49 PM   #23
Model12Win

Josh Smith is a nice man!

Go shooting with him Xbox I think you will like it!
Old November 4, 2014, 06:10 AM   #24
zach_

Box, as a former Hoosier myself (Connersville), I know that it is about to get cold soon. Better start shooting while the shootin is good.
Old November 5, 2014, 03:41 PM   #25
RangeEnthusiast

Living in Indiana

Heh, that's pretty sweet, you live probably no more than 30 minutes from me, I'm from Manchester and I go down to Bass and Bucks to do all my shooting