The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 4, 2014, 11:15 AM   #1
tahunua001

AR15 upper swap question.

I have a question. if you have an AR15 registered as an SBR, could you just get multiple SBR uppers and swap them out on the same lower or do multiples create 'intent to manufacture a SBR".
Old July 4, 2014, 11:53 AM   #2
Sharkbite

Not a issue

I have 6 uppers with barrels less then 16". Only 1 stamped SBR CURRENTLY. 2 more in process.

The 1 lower, either SBR or Pistol lets you have as many short uppers as you want. Mix and match.... Swap till your hearts content
Old July 4, 2014, 12:19 PM   #3
Theohazard

Like Sharkbite said, it's not an issue: With one registered SBR lower you can swap out uppers to your heart's content. Though keep in mind you always need to be able to put it back into the original configuration listed on the Form 4, so make sure you always own an upper of that configuration. (You don't need to store it in its original configuration, you just need to have the parts available.)

Also, if you plan to get rid of the original upper and change the SBR's permanent configuration, you can do that by notifying the ATF.
Old July 6, 2014, 12:28 PM   #4
tahunua001

alright thanks guys, I always wondered because of the pistol to carbine conversion kits like the mech tech and RONI say that just owning the conversion counts as "intent to manufacture an SBR" which is why I was curious about the rules pertaining to ARs.
Old July 6, 2014, 01:27 PM   #5
Theohazard

The rules are the same with ARs as they are with those conversion kits: If you have a short upper and a rifle lower you can get in trouble the same way. But when you have an SBR lower you remove that risk because now it's legal to possess an SBR, just as possessing those kits is legal if you have a pistol registered as an SBR.
Old July 8, 2014, 05:03 PM   #6
Deja vu

I think they are correct. The only issue I see is if you have a second AR15 there may be some possession with intent. May be not im not sure. I know for sure if you have a second AR that is not an SBR that would could get in huge trouble if you put one of the SBR uppers on it.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old July 8, 2014, 08:01 PM   #7
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena vu
The only issue I see is if you have a second AR15 there may be some possession with intent. May be not im not sure.
No, there's no problem there. Constructive intent is where you have all the parts to make an SBR and no other legal explanation for having them.

For example: If you have any short uppers and you only have non-SBR rifle lowers to go with them, then you could be charged with constructive intent to make an illegal unregistered SBR. But, throw in a single legal SBR lower to that mix and everything is perfectly legal: Those short uppers go with the legal SBR lower and it doesn't matter that you have other non-SBR lowers in your possession.