The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 15, 2014, 10:12 PM   #1
Sharkbite

2 new cans. Initial thoughts...

Just got 2 new cans home.

Out the back door with my Octane45 attached to 3 different pistol hosts

Glock 35 with a 40-9 conversion barrel. 147gn subsonic 9mm. VERY nice. Like an air compressor hose being detached.

Glock 23 180gn 40s&w. Kinda disappointed in this combo. Much louder then the 9mm. Even louder then the 45. Least impressive of the calibers

Glock 21sf. 230gn hardball. Louder then the 9mm, not as loud as the 40

This was just a cpl rounds fired outta each platform. More shooting to do.

Initial thoughts are if i can prove the G35 40-9 conversion as completely reliable, it will become the HD gun. That has been the G23 but its just TOO loud

Next.... SWR Warlock II. This 22lr can kicks ASS. SUPER light. Adds virtually no weight to the host. Couldnt tell any difference in balance or weight on either a pistol or rifle

On my 10/22 with subsonic ammo its SILLY quite.
Old June 15, 2014, 11:06 PM   #2
Machineguntony

Congratulations on bringing them home. It's always a fun and giddy moment.
Old June 16, 2014, 01:11 PM   #3
Theohazard

The Octane 45 is a terrific can. I have an Octane 9 and I love it.

Yeah, .40 S&W is disappointing when suppressed. There are a few companies that make dedicated .40 silencers (SilencerCo makes an Osprey 40, for example), but they're not very popular. People who want to suppress .40 usually just get .45 cans. And then when they shoot .40 through them they often decide to stick with 9mm and .45.

The Warlock is awesome. It's the same design as the Spectre but in anodized aluminum. The Spectre is a tiny bit quieter, but it's also a heck of a lot heavier. Every time I've mounted a Warlock on a gun I'm amazed at how the gun handles; you're right that you can barely tell it's there.

You've got two great cans there. Enjoy!
Old June 16, 2014, 01:31 PM   #4
Sharkbite

Just spent some time on the range with the Octane45.....

Initial impressions confirmed. 40 SUCKS!!!... Lots of blowback, like being sandblasted with each shot. 9 and 45 were both good. The edge definitely goes to the 9mm

The lone wolf 40-9 conversion barrel continues to impress me. 300 rounds this morning... ZERO malfunctions. Barrel swap and some 9mm mags is all i did to make the Glock 35 into a 9mm

Im going to order one of the 40-9 barrels and turn my spare G23 into a 9mm as well
Old June 16, 2014, 01:58 PM   #5
Theohazard

Yeah, the first threaded barrel I got for my G19 was a Storm Lake. People were telling me not to get a Lone Wolf and that the extra cost of the Storm Lake was worth it. They also said that the Storm Lake's chamber was tighter so it would be quieter when suppressed.

But a friend had a threaded Lone Wolf barrel and really wanted a Storm Lake one instead, so we traded and he threw in a bunch of ammo to make the trade even. I honestly can't tell the difference between the two barrels. They're both black, they both function flawlessly, and they both sound the same. So basically I just got a bunch of free ammo in the deal.