The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 17, 1998, 02:41 AM   #1
deshongx2

Ok folks, here it go's. I've taken a glock 21 and shortened and reshaped the grip to match that of the G-30. The result is a grip you can hide with a sight radius that will shoot. Now I would like to reduce the girth, take out some backstrap. Does anyone know just what type of epoxy or other material folks are using to do this? I've also done this to a G-23 for a friend (down to G-27 length) and would to add the finger grooves. Thanks for any help !

Old October 18, 1998, 12:22 AM   #2
Rob Pincus

Grip reduction is fine for improved concealability, but let's not make so much out of the longer barrel on the 21. I went out with a USP, G30, and P14 thursday and shot best with the G30, from ranges of 5' to 15 yards.

A friend of mine has worked the backstrap down on all of his Glocks, but fell madly in love with the new frames when he got a hold of one. You should try a new framed G21 when you get a chance.
Old October 18, 1998, 03:09 AM   #3
deshongx2

Rob, I'll try not to sound too curt in my reply. I'v e shot the P12 and P14, owned and carried a Colt Officers ACP and now own a 30 as well as the 21. I've fired the baby glocks, the kahr, the sigs,etc. And most shot quite well. The 30 has shot a 300 out of 300 on the LFI qual, but the 21 provides a tighter 300. Lock them both in a ransom rest and you probably won't notice the difference, put them in the average mans hands and you will. Ever seen extended sights on a bullseye gun? Why put a tang mounted peep on a sharps? Or the bridge mounted peep on an 03A3. Sight radius, as I'm sure you know . Now if I was a little curt I'm sorry. We do however live in America, you have your opinion and can

voice it as well as carry what you like, I like my short gripped 21. One last thing, I doubt you expected this reply to your posting, I'm sorry but you struck a nerve. All I was asking for was a little help on epoxy.
Old October 18, 1998, 03:55 PM   #4
Rob Pincus

No, no problem here. I get flamed worse than that for explaining what "Limp-wristing" is on Rec.guns... hehe...

I just think that when it comes to a difference of an inch or two with a handgun you will shoot better with a gun that you practice with, than a similar gun with a longer barrel. What you said struck a nerve with me, too...
(technical note.. If I knew how to insert one of those smiley faces, I would do it *here*)
Old October 18, 1998, 06:37 PM   #5
Mac Scott

>>If I knew how to insert one of those smiley faces.....<<

Easy, Rob ... at least I can help you with that. Just type a colon and a right parenthesis and the emoticon should automatically pop up.

For info for all forum members, there are several emoticons available for your use, explanations of which are found in the "faq" section of the forum. I've found over the years that judicious use of emoticons can save a few cyber-punches from being thrown from time to time. Intonation of the written and spoken words vary so much that emoticons can often save the day.

Just be aware that the operative word here is "judicious." A little emoticoning (??) goes a long way.

----Mac Scott
Old October 18, 1998, 07:41 PM   #6
deshongx2

I agree that one will shoot better with the gun they practice with. The 21 is my carry gun, every day, every where. I also teach with it, though the 30 is great for recoil management demos. I also use it for IDPA as well as other tactical matches. Every day, every where.