The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 12, 2020, 12:06 AM   #1
BJung

magazine spring

Guys. I own an Arisaka Type 99 and the magazine spring doesn't lift the bullet up. Do I have to buy a new spring or can I fix it?
Old July 12, 2020, 11:28 AM   #2
Nodak1858

I'd check to make sure it's not binding anywhere. If it's 100% free then a guy could take it out and give it a gentle stretch, but once the spring is that weak it won't push up rounds it's probably time to get a replacement. Numrich shows to have new replacements in stock for around $10.
Old July 12, 2020, 01:51 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Order a replacement. I'd get two and stash the spare. The newest the original can be is 1945, and at that point a lot of Japanese QC was poor to non-existent, especially on small "minor" things.

It has probably just weakened over the years. One thing you can try, while waiting for a replacement, is to turn the spring over.

Mauser type magazine springs can often be installed upside down (yes, there is one) sometimes they work ok that way, sometimes not so much.

Any attempt to "repair" the spring by stretching usually fails, often leading to the spring completely failing and breaking soon after...