The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

View Poll Results: Nosler Ballistic Tip vs Hornady SST
Nosler BT 27 46.55%
Hornady SST 31 53.45%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 11, 2020, 11:36 AM   #51
Ifishsum

I like and use the SST bullet on game up to and including elk, never lost an animal and only had to even track one (teenage son's first deer, shot was too far back). That said, as the OP specifically mentions wanting to be able to shoot bone structure I would not recommend it at all. I did recover a 165 SST from a spine shot elk (the only recovered SST I can recall) that had retained almost 65% of its original weight but that was also a 260yd shot. At closer range (higher velocity) I highly doubt it would have held together that well.

I like heart/lung shots and will generally pass if they don't present. For that the SST is extremely effective and it's been such an accurate bullet for me that I choose to accept that.
Old April 11, 2020, 11:51 AM   #52
luger fan

Looks close!
Old April 11, 2020, 12:54 PM   #53
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifishsum View Post
I like and use the SST bullet on game up to and including elk, never lost an animal and only had to even track one (teenage son's first deer, shot was too far back). That said, as the OP specifically mentions wanting to be able to shoot bone structure I would not recommend it at all. I did recover a 165 SST from a spine shot elk (the only recovered SST I can recall) that had retained almost 65% of its original weight but that was also a 260yd shot. At closer range (higher velocity) I highly doubt it would have held together that well.

I like heart/lung shots and will generally pass if they don't present. For that the SST is extremely effective and it's been such an accurate bullet for me that I choose to accept that.
If its a nice enough trophy, I will shoot it at any angle. Thus Barnes is my preferred projectile. I have shot a few very nice bucks in the white tail, DRT.
Old April 11, 2020, 04:34 PM   #54
Panfisher

I have loaded and shot a lot of Nosler BT in everythING from .22-250 to .30-06. They are pretry reliable and messy. Lately for wife's rifle I switched to Hornady GMX in a lower weight and little more speed, plenty accurate, even less recoil, and had no problems punching Hugh deer shoulders. I have no problems with her taking one or both front shoulders in a small deer, that way the tracking job is usually measured in feet and I can drive the tractor right to them without having to drag anything. And if she runs them little shouders I don't feel bad about it at all.
Old April 28, 2020, 09:12 PM   #55
claiborne

I've been handloading for about 30 years, I consider neither of those bullets as premium hunting bullets.

I would recommend a Nosler Partition if you want a Nosler premium hunting bullet. I used Partitions on deer and elk, growing up in Idaho until I discovered Barns bullets.

Witnessed many messy kills with ballistic tips.

Just my opinion. Good luck in your search.
Old April 30, 2020, 06:43 AM   #56
buck460XVR

If I wanted a guaranteed pass thru both shoulders, with either, I'd stick with the 180 grainers. Of course you could do that with non-premium bullets like Core-Loks too.