Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 24, 2020, 07:29 AM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

Best AR magazines?

Magpul is in short supply, apparently.

What are the best names in mags?
Old July 24, 2020, 08:29 AM   #2
44caliberkid

These 20 round mags from Brownells are good magazines. I got a bunch when they were half this price though.
https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...prod71748.aspx

Lancer's are good, but getting expensive. Just like guns and ammo, they were all plentiful and often on sale, six months ago. Like they taught me in Boy Scouts, be prepared. Don't wait for the crisis to start looking for stuff.
Old July 24, 2020, 09:57 AM   #3
7.62 man

ARs in .223/5.56 are not very finicky just about any mag will work fine.
So find the cheapest ones I can at gun shows. I normally pay $5 to $9 for one. I have made batch buys & got them cheaper.
Now ARs of other calibers are not as easy to find mags for I always buy only C-Product mags for those ARs. I've never had one of their mags fail me.
Old July 24, 2020, 10:08 AM   #4
Double K

Shopping for the "best" of anything gun related right now or worrying about the price is just not realistic.
I've never seen a comparison test on magazines although one would assume the military tests them.
I bought some of the Mission First Tactical magazines a few years back because they matched the "scorched dark earth" color of my other parts on the gun. They have worked as intended even in very cold weather without breaking so they must be the "best" right!
Sportsman's Warehouse sells them around here or you can order them online.
https://www.missionfirsttactical.com...ries/mags/ar15
Old July 24, 2020, 10:18 AM   #5
Screwball

Magpul... sorry, but I stick with what I know works. They are my go to for AR and AK magazines.
Old July 24, 2020, 12:16 PM   #6
Bowdog

I have found that the 3 ARs I have owned have given me trouble with Aluminum magazine I had from the 1970-80 era. Ordered P-Mags from Magpul and jamming went away. I agree with Screwball.
Old July 24, 2020, 12:34 PM   #7
HiBC

I'm not qualified to proclaim "best"
I know "C" products work for me.
Old July 24, 2020, 02:46 PM   #8
Double K

The problem is Magpul magazine's appear to be out of stock everywhere so your going to have to settle for good enough.
BTW I did a termite job at the guys house that started Mag-pul 5-6 years ago in Longmont, his kid runs the company now.
Funny that the father isn't a gun guy, he doesn't even own an AR. He had an injection molding company in Denver when he was asked to make magazines for a customer.

Last edited by Double K; July 24, 2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old July 24, 2020, 04:33 PM   #9
Hawg

You're not looking hard enough. https://gunmagwarehouse.com/magpul-p...ll-colors.html
Old July 25, 2020, 12:16 PM   #10
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
+1
Old July 25, 2020, 12:54 PM   #11
Double K

It's a shame that the liberal politicians in Colorado ran Magpul across the border into Wyoming. On the flip side the town of Cheyenne is doing great with lots of companies settling there taking advantage of the low tax rates and reasonable state regulations.
I have nothing against Magpul it's just that a magazine is a magazine is a magazine to me especially when it comes to synthetic AR magazines. I believe I have 3-4 different brands including a couple of magpul's, they all work.
I wouldn't buy metal AR magazine's they are not all created equal plus they're very cold when hunting in the winter. The first ones I ever got were Colt 20rd metal mags, they had sharp edge that scratched the heck out of the cases when they were fed into the gun, filing it to a 45degree angle helped. From a reloaders standpoint the polymer mags are great.
Old July 25, 2020, 02:51 PM   #12
Hawg

You might want to check local gun shops. I bought a new AR from a local shop a couple of weeks ago and got five Magpul mags with it.
Old July 25, 2020, 09:20 PM   #13
Machineguntony

No one is better at testing, both in the lab and in the real world on the battlefield, than the US military. You won’t find better than the Magpul Gen 3.

The Colt metal mags are great too. I have a bunch of the Colt green follower mags. They’ve never failed or had problems.