The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2011, 02:12 AM   #1
Big Caliber

Cold tracers?

I got an ad from Mid South for loading "cold" tracer handgun ammo. You place a "sticker" on the base of the bullet then press bullet into charged case as usual. Tracer is only visible, though, from shooter's perspective. Anyone try this stuff yet?
Old February 7, 2011, 08:08 AM   #2
marcodo

I also saw this and it looks interesting. For $45 for 250 it might be worth a try for giggles. Don't do much shooting in the dark (maybe I should though). Also wonder what kind of range it works through and the science behind it. Also wonder if it changes point of impact.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...177GAT1K8189MM
Old February 7, 2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Rangefinder

I would imagine it works ok, depending on lighting situation. I've experienced quite often that when the sun angle is just right I can see copper "trace" firing my handguns, so I imagine something in way of a bright pink or yellow at the bullet base would leave enough to see somewhat. I wouldn't expect the bright streak that normally goes along with a standard tracer though.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.