The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 7, 2021, 11:10 AM   #1
tex45acp

Dan Wesson Razorback in 10mm

I'm looking to add another 10mm to my collection. I came across a Dan Wesson Razorback at the local gun shop and though I have owned most brands of 1911's over the years....I have never owned a Dan Wesson. Is there anyone here that can give me an honest review of this gun, pros and cons!!
Old February 7, 2021, 11:21 AM   #2
mikejonestkd

I can't speak specifically to that model, but have extensive trigger time with a PM9, a Valor, and a 10mm Bruin. all have been reliable, accurate, and nicely fitted and finished.
In my limited experience, Dan Wesson makes some of the nicest production 1911s for the price point. You'd have to go to Baer, Wilson, or Brown price points to take a significant step up in quality from a Dan Wesson
Old February 7, 2021, 02:51 PM   #3
12-34hom

DW 10mm Razorback.

I own one of the original run of 150, when they were actually made by Dan Wesson.[Bob Serva] That gun is a Gem, Reliable and accurate. I Tasked it as my duty weapon for over 20 years. I think CZ bought them out and kept on making this pistol. I dont know about later CZ models, the first run of 150 were
each virtually one of a kind weapons. But if they are anything like the originals it is a classic. There should be a picture of it somewhere on this site. Thanks 12-34hom
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old February 7, 2021, 03:26 PM   #4
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Sorry, never had the privilege in shooting a Razorback. However, I have shot Dan Wessons before. Right around the time CZ took over them, I believe they went from cast to forged frames. In my distant memory, I couldn't tell the difference in quality. I'm highly impressed with their overall quality of materials, fit/finish, and precision in shooting my mother's. I don't have any experience in dealing with their customer service. Hope someone else can provide input on that area.

They're on my radar to buy one, someday.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 7, 2021, 08:23 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

I'm familiar with the Bruin. Fit and finish is excellent and the gun is accurate as hell and smoooooooth.

I believe that they are fine, fine guns. You won't be disappointed if you buy one.
Old February 8, 2021, 06:24 PM   #6
CockNBama

I have the DW Pointman in 10 mm, and I'm very glad that I have, too. It is a superlative pistol.

But it didn't start that way. Initially, I had numerous failures to feed, so I wrote DW a letter describing in detail what was happening. By return mail, they sent a shipping label.

I had it back in less than three weeks. It was still as good looking and tightly fitted as originally, and there has been no further stoppage.

It is the most accurate 1911 that own.
Old February 8, 2021, 09:01 PM   #7
JDBerg

I have a DW Valor in .45 ACP that I bought a few years back, it was used but in really great condition. Not long after I got it, I took it to a really good 1911 pistolsmith who did a DCOA service on it to verify the internals and the function of the gun were as spot on as the rest of the gun. Everything checked out fine, and I’ve happy with it for years ever since.

OP I have heard of some fit & finish issues with the DW Razorbacks in 10 mm and .45 ACP and these are currently out of production at DW. I don’t know whether the issues are the reason that the RZ’s are discontinued, but DW has juggled their model line in recent years. I would say that if that RZ-10 is a used piece, and you decide to buy the gun, I would strongly recommend that you negotiate to have a similar inspection done prior to accepting the gun. If repairs are needed, the cost of such can be negotiated off the purchase price. Or you can negotiate to walk away if they balk at the deal. Just about every one of my guns have had this service done at this point.
Old February 25, 2021, 02:40 PM   #8
HisSoldier

I have the Razorback also and love it and the 10MM caliber. I joke that if I know I'm walking into a firefight it's the gun I'll grab. I say joke because unless someone is attacking my family I'll walk away from a firefight, but honestly, if there were no way out I'd take one of the AR's and the Razorback, and extra mags.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old February 25, 2021, 07:10 PM   #9
9x19

Here's my DW 10 from about that many years ago... very good 1911-pattern pistols, IME.

Old March 7, 2021, 11:08 PM   #10
Henry400

While I have no experience with the Razorback, my Vigil Commander is one of my top three handguns, between my Colt Python and my Ruger Super Blackhawks. It's my carry weapon.