The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2021, 11:03 PM   #1
Prof Young

Glock P80 Gen 1 9mm Exclusive

So I'm looking at the gun noted above, new for $559. Reviews on line seem okay and I've never owned a Glock.

Would love to hear from some who have shot one.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old February 2, 2021, 11:10 PM   #2
HighValleyRanch

I don't know about the new repro, but I did own for quite a while the original glock 17 1 generation and it was one of my favorite glocks. I liked the lack of finger grooves and smooth stippling. I liked that it was the original glock. Mine was from 1987. Had all the black internal parts. Sold it to a collector.
Old February 5, 2021, 10:56 PM   #3
Martowski

Prof Young, just curious as a former resident of Illinois for 40 years, what is your definition of downstate? Again, just curious since I grew up west of Peoria.
Old February 6, 2021, 10:21 AM   #4
CedarGrove357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martowski View Post
Prof Young, just curious as a former resident of Illinois for 40 years, what is your definition of downstate? Again, just curious since I grew up west of Peoria.
If Its anything like my location, south of I-70. I am 5 hours due south of Chicago.

Cedar Grove Farm and Arms
Old February 6, 2021, 11:17 AM   #5
Shadow9mm

Its a collectors item IMHO. Its back to the very first original version. If your looking for a collections item, go for it. If your looking for a defensive weapon or something to take to the range regularly I would look for a gen 4 or 5 personally.
Old February 6, 2021, 12:10 PM   #6
JDBerg

Strictly MHO, but I can’t wrap my brain around the idea of a Glock as a collectors item. I like the lack of finger grooves on this reissue gun, but the smooth grip surface doesn’t work a little bit for me, I would need more aggressive stippling on the grip to make it a shooter.

I have read that the trigger on this reissue gun is a Gen3 trigger, so I could live with it until I could get an APEX Action Enhancement Package trigger installed. And I would need a Grip Force Adapter and Wilson Combat Vickers Elite sights to make it a shooter. Since I already have my Gen3 17 set up this way, so I’m out on this reissue gun.
Old February 6, 2021, 06:29 PM   #7
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
Strictly MHO, but I can’t wrap my brain around the idea of a Glock as a collectors item. I like the lack of finger grooves on this reissue gun, but the smooth grip surface doesn’t work a little bit for me, I would need more aggressive stippling on the grip to make it a shooter.

I have read that the trigger on this reissue gun is a Gen3 trigger, so I could live with it until I could get an APEX Action Enhancement Package trigger installed. And I would need a Grip Force Adapter and Wilson Combat Vickers Elite sights to make it a shooter. Since I already have my Gen3 17 set up this way, so I’m out on this reissue gun.
the P80 was the very first Glock. They re-created it specifically as a collectors item. Personally I agree, not a great idea.

Gen 5, no finger grooves, agressive stippiling.....

Yeah upgrading it makes little to no sense. get a gen 3, 4, or 5.
Old February 6, 2021, 09:04 PM   #8
amd6547

I’m sure the P80 G17 would be suitable for whatever use one might put a service 9mm to, and would do it well...just like the original G17. Definitely not just a collectible.
Old February 6, 2021, 09:24 PM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martowski View Post

"Downstate" seems to be, anything outside Cook County and the ring of Chicago's adjacent vassal cities and towns. I, at an hour and a half straight west, am "downstate".
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 6, 2021, 09:53 PM   #10
Prof Young

Thanks for all the feedback!

I went ahead and bought the gun. Pick up early next week. Will let you all know how it goes and what I think.

Life is good.
Prof Young

P.S. Down state Illinois is anywhere south of Chicago in my book.
Old February 7, 2021, 02:17 AM   #11
zoo

Thank goodness Glock at least put a gen 3 trigger on it.

My folks are from Herrin. I never thought of it in terms of being "downstate." Personally I don't know which sucks worse, the Chicago area or the rest of Illinois.
Old February 8, 2021, 03:29 PM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo View Post
Thank goodness Glock at least put a gen 3 trigger on it.

My folks are from Herrin. I never thought of it in terms of being "downstate." Personally I don't know which sucks worse, the Chicago area or the rest of Illinois.
Chicago.

When I ran one kid down to Carbondale, I found Southern IL is a totally different place.

Somebody on Illinoiscarry found this. You might get a kick out of it: 10 Places in ILLINOIS You Should NEVER Move To
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 8, 2021, 05:22 PM   #13
zoo

Thank you, Lee. It was amusing but somewhat depressing. Probably because I do have found memories of southern Illinois. Regarding their gun laws, they seem to be trying hard to catch up with California.