The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 3, 2021, 05:02 PM   #1
Petrichor

Optic decision: Nightforce vs. Vortex

I’ve been shopping for an optic for my new AR15. It’s a 14.5” Geissele Super Duty, and I want it to be sort of a general purpose/ready for anything type of setup. So it’ll have a weapon light, offset RMR, and a LPVO. The two LPVOs I’ve narrowed my decision down to are the Nightforce ATACR 1-8x or the Vortex Gen 3 Razor 1-10x.

Does anyone here have firsthand experience with either or both of this they could please share? The NF reticle someone concerned me as I’ve heard it described as “busy” and runs the risk of obscuring targets down range. Others have said the Vortex lacks the brilliantly clear color transmission of the NF. Can anyone confirm these anecdotes? So I’ve heard good and bad about both and I’m looking for more clarity. I can’t seem to find a shop in my area that has both for me to look through.
Old January 4, 2021, 12:27 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

no personal experience with either. Only thing I was going to suggest was to look at the weight, however they are only about 0.5 oz different...

After looking at both reticles, i would say both are very busy. I think the Vortex makes more sense to me, but both are definitely busy.

I know you already narrowed it down, but Personally I would look at the primary arms, options. Also, in my personal experience, out to about the 500yd mark, 7x was more than adequate for practical use. I'm looking at the 1-6 FFP, but with your budget you could get the 1-8 ffp. The ACSS reticle is clean and simple to use.
Old January 5, 2021, 06:37 AM   #3
Nathan

I would get both in hand to look at the reticles. To me, the issue will generally never be clarity and color on a short range optic. One issue I see immediately is the FFP ranging reticle.

How will that look throughout the magnification range? If I need the illumination on to use fast at low power, how is battery life? How is it to turn on and off? How usable without illumination?

Since I don’t really need the ranging reticle until 300 yards, is an 1-8x SFP better?