The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2015, 03:03 AM   #1
nemesiss45

Help ID a bullet?

I got a bag of bullets labled "40 cal".in a bulk trade. They measured out to be 180gr and were in fact .40 cal. Does anyone recognize them? Id like to find out in case i want to order some more. Thanks.

Old April 2, 2015, 08:07 PM   #2
SHR970

Rainier Ballistics. Copper plated HP.

The HP won't do much for expansion on those, the Hp is for accuracy.
Old April 2, 2015, 09:11 PM   #3
nemesiss45

Awesome, thanks.
Old April 3, 2015, 12:37 PM   #4
skizzums

Although you don't get much expansion, they do expand to about .05-.10 over original size. But nothing exceptional, but they are accurate. Those may get a little better penetration than some since it has the penta designs
Old April 6, 2015, 10:59 PM   #5
nemesiss45

I went out today and put these up against some berry's 180gr FPs.

I shot 4 strings of 10 shots for each with different loads of blue dot. The best string of the Rainier's gave me a 7.22" group, which, seemed loose to me. But the berry's won the day with a 4.7" group on my winning load. In fact, all but one of the berry's loads wer smaller than the best Rainier load, but the worst Berry's load was the worst of all. The best part of the Berry's is that the average to center of each group was even better, with a tight main grouping and a few outliers, likely caused by my gun handling. the Rainier bullets were pretty evenly dispersed.

lucky for me, I guess, since I have about 50 more rainier and about 210 more berrys.
Old April 7, 2015, 02:07 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Are the Berry's their heavy plated bullets? If so, they may line up in the throat without deforming a little better than the Ranier. Assuming the Ranier's have thinner plating, I would try seating them out so the bullet touches the throat when the head of the case is just flush with the back end of the barrel, assuming that COL fits your magazine OK. I've always found that produces best accuracy with softer bullets, sometimes cutting groups almost in half.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 7, 2015, 03:28 PM   #7
skizzums

what distance are you shooting? their has to be something very wrong of your talking pistol ranges. 25 yards-50yards, then I can understand, kinda. your talking a difference of a 4" group to an 8" group with the same bullet, since you said berry' also got the worse group. I can't imagine a load that would cause that much of a spread