The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2013, 11:08 PM   #1
champ198

would like some opinions please

a while back got rid of the Glock G23 2nd Gen i had and not need to get something else. going to a gun shop with indoor range tomorrow but had a few opinions from you all if you have a few minutes.
im looking at a few if you could give me some ideas.
looking at CZ p07 duty
Kahr PM9
Springfield XDS
Ruger LC9
S&W Sheild

looking for mainly a carry gun....so if anyone has some opinions on these or any others for me to check out let me know

also was wondering about maybe a full frame gun...1911 or Sig P220
always wanted one of each of those two but want something i can carry...whats your alls opinions on carrying those two sidearms with their size.
Old February 2, 2013, 11:41 PM   #2
Nathan

I would avoid 9mm. The popularity of this caliber has made ammo expensive or hard to find around here. I heard a guy ask about 9mm ammo at the gun show today and the guy selling ammo suggested the buyer buy a different gun to get through the current 9mm shortage.

I did see 9mm ammo, $38 for 50. I also saw 9mm cases $48 for 500. I thought both to be too high to sell.
Old February 3, 2013, 05:26 AM   #3
tristar viper

Kahr CW9, Sig P290RS, Taurus PT709/740 Slim, Bersa BP9, or Beretta Nano.....
I shot an XDS 45. Personally I thought the recoil was awful. I felt like in a real panic situation bullets would be spraying all over with that gun. It also malfunctioned for my wife....I think she limp wristed it though.
I shot a PM9 also. Nice gun, but something in the trigger housing kept pinching/cutting into my finger. Probably not a common complaint, I suppose it was just something with the particular gun I had rented.
Never have shot a Shield, and never have shot an LC9. Have friends with both, but haven't been shooting with them for awhile.

Last edited by tristar viper; February 3, 2013 at 05:33 AM.