The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 18, 2009, 09:22 PM   #1
4thHorseman

two piece guide rod

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop a two pice guide rod in a 1911 type pistol from loosening (unscrewing into two pieces)?
Thanks
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once." -- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

Last edited by 4thHorseman; November 19, 2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old November 18, 2009, 09:27 PM   #2
Netzapper

Loctite?
Old November 18, 2009, 10:01 PM   #3
LHB1

Replacing it with a one piece guide rod would definitely stop the problem.
Old November 19, 2009, 08:29 AM   #4
drail

Replacing it with a GI type rod will solve the problem also. I ran competition guns for years with one and two piece full length guide rods. Now all I run are GI type rods.
Old November 19, 2009, 08:51 AM   #5
AirForceShooter

Red Loc-Tite

But replacing it is probably the best solution.
Take your pick of FLGR or a GI

AFS
Old November 19, 2009, 09:23 AM   #6
CowTowner

Replace it

If it's coming apart when you're shooting the gun, then it has done its job and time for a new one.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old November 19, 2009, 10:05 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Note that Red Loctite is permanent and won't let you take it apart again witout heating to about 250 degrees. Use the removable stuff for this kind of application.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 19, 2009, 05:05 PM   #8
Harry Bonar

guide rod

Sir;
No. That's why I don't use guide rods.
Harry B.
Old November 19, 2009, 09:44 PM   #9
Ivan

Peening the threads slightly also works reasonably well. The side of a round screwdriver blade works pretty well. If you are going to Red Loctite it in place, MAKE SURE YOU CAN DISASSEMBLE THE GUN!!! If you want the guide rod long, you might have to start your disassembly by removing the slide stop.

- Ivan.
Old November 19, 2009, 11:50 PM   #10
4thHorseman

I have a commander size pistol. If I use a one piece guide rod, I cannot assemble or disassemble it. I have to have a way to break it down.
The guide rod is brand new. I have had this problem before on an older guide rod and I had to continue to tighten it during the shooting at the range.
It has a bull barrel so I cannot use a plug.
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once." -- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003
Old November 20, 2009, 06:37 AM   #11
drail

4thHorseman, can you not remove the slide stop, remove the slide and then remove the spring and guide rod from the rear of the slide? This is how I takedown all of my bull barrel guns. I use a GI short guide rod and a reverse plug. If you're running a heavy spring it can be a little tough to control until you get used to it.
Old November 20, 2009, 11:37 AM   #12
LHB1

Quote: "I have a commander size pistol. If I use a one piece guide rod, I cannot assemble or disassemble it. I have to have a way to break it down.
The guide rod is brand new. I have had this problem before on an older guide rod and I had to continue to tighten it during the shooting at the range.
It has a bull barrel so I cannot use a plug."

Talk to Wilson Combat. My 4" Wilson 1911 uses a one piece guide rod with a small hole drilled thru it vertically. I retract the slide and insert a short tiny nail stub. This locks the recoil spring so I can then remove the slide stop, remove slide, and remove captured recoil spring from the rear. LEAVE THE PIN/NAIL IN THE ROD UNTIL GUN IS FULLY REASSEMBLED. Then retract slide and remove pin. Works slick and easy.

Last edited by LHB1; November 21, 2009 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Correction: Hole is drilled vertically, not horizontally.
Old November 20, 2009, 04:04 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

Except for adding a small amount of weight, a full length guide rod of any type is a solution without a problem. Its only purpose is to make money for the maker. Get a standard guide rod.

Hi, Harry B.

No guide rod? I have tried that and had a problem with the spring kinking, plus the rear of the guide rod is what stops the slide.

Jim
Old November 20, 2009, 05:52 PM   #14
LHB1

Quote: "Except for adding a small amount of weight, a full length guide rod of any type is a solution without a problem. Its only purpose is to make money for the maker. Get a standard guide rod."

As you can see, some shooters like full length guide rods in 1911's and some don't. I happen to like them. Use standard or full length according to your preference. I think that with the 4" guns, use of short guide rod will leave an opening at front of slide under the barrel. Using a full length guide rod cut flush with front (like my Wilson 4" Protector), the front surface of guide rod will fill that opening and look much better (in my opinion).
Old November 22, 2009, 07:48 PM   #15
4thHorseman

LHB1 -Talk to Wilson Combat. My 4" Wilson 1911 uses a one piece guide rod with a small hole drilled thru it vertically. I retract the slide and insert a short tiny nail stub. This locks the recoil spring so I can then remove the slide stop, remove slide, and remove captured recoil spring from the rear. LEAVE THE PIN/NAIL IN THE ROD UNTIL GUN IS FULLY REASSEMBLED. Then retract slide and remove pin. Works slick and easy.
Thank you all for your responses.
I have asked Wilson and they told me all they had was a two piece guide rod. I will call them again ask them again tomorrow. I know I have gotten several answers from several reps there, but they meant well each time.
Again, thanks guys
Old November 23, 2009, 12:03 AM   #16
LHB1

Quote: "I have asked Wilson and they told me all they had was a two piece guide rod. I will call them again ask them again tomorrow. I know I have gotten several answers from several reps there, but they meant well each time."

Perhaps they only cut shortened one piece guide rods for their own custom pistols. My gun is a 4" Wilson Professional and the shortened guide rod was fitted during original manufacture. Either Nick (X105) or Matt (X107) should be able to give you a straight answer to the question.
Old November 23, 2009, 02:19 PM   #17
4thHorseman

I called Wilson to day. I talked to a rep. I asked them to make me one. They said they would. The oddity about them, they have to be just a bit longer than the other manufactures to fit into the the reverse plug from Wilson.
Again, you guys have been wonderful with your help. Thank you all.
Old November 23, 2009, 06:59 PM   #18
LHB1

Quote: "I called Wilson to day. I talked to a rep. I asked them to make me one. They said they would."

Great. Hope that solves your problem. Ask them to send you a couple of the short, cut off pins to use for locking the guide rod during disassembly. You can use them to buy additional small nails and cut lots more as needed once you see what size and length is appropriate. Remember which rep you talked to and check back with him later if you have problems or to tell him thanks for taking care of your needs. IME those guys really try to help customers out and a thank you is appreciated. They also like to know that the problem was successfully solved.
Old November 25, 2009, 10:29 AM   #19
AJG

peening

Peening the threads slightly also works reasonably well. The side of a round screwdriver blade works pretty well. If you are going to Red Loctite it in place, MAKE SURE YOU CAN DISASSEMBLE THE GUN!!! If you want the guide rod long, you might have to start your disassembly by removing the slide stop.
- Ivan.

Peening! WOW, why didnt I think about that! In my SA Micro-Compact .45, the guide rod starts to come apart after 500ish rounds and gets to be a major PIA replacing it all the time. I used red loctite most recently, but after I get off work,,, will definately be sitting at the work bench.

Alex
Old November 25, 2009, 12:45 PM   #20
Harry Bonar

Guide rod

Sir;
I'm with Jim on this - I built a P14-45 and put a one piece giude rod in it (why, I don't know) - it tied the slide up several times and they tend to bur the bottom of your barrel. Get a standard spring tube and go with common 1911 configuration!
Harry B.
Old November 25, 2009, 01:39 PM   #21
Unclenick
Staff

I remember almost 20 years ago at Gunsite they reported having tried extended guide rods on a comparative basis for several years. No improved feed reliability. No improved accuracy. No improved ease of operation. Conclusion: John Browning didn't need as much help as some might suppose.

The one two-part rod I bought and played with on my Goldcup (sometime around 1983 or '84, I suppose) is still in my parts box where I returned it after finding it was mostly just in the way. I'd hoped the added weight might be useful, but can't say that I found it benefited my scores.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; November 25, 2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old November 25, 2009, 01:54 PM   #22
JohnSmallTX

Easy / Cheap Fix

On my two piece guide rod I use a wrap or two of teflon plumber's pipe seal tape. Easy, cheap, not permanent, and it works.
Old November 25, 2009, 02:40 PM   #23
brickeyee

Degrease the threads (male and female) completely and tighten it up.