The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 2, 2005, 12:34 PM   #1
headdocs

Grandfather's S&W Revolver

Knowing little about firearms & not finding a lot on the Smith & Wesson Website, I thought that I would turn here for information on my grandfather's pistol.

It is a 6 shot revolver - blue in color with wood grips - exposed trigger - double action
The barrel is ~ 2 inches in length
On the butt of the gun is a serial # ABC7296
The barrel is stamped Smith & Wesson on one side and AIRWEIGHT 38 SPL.CTG. on the other.
When you open the gun, you can read MOD. 12-3 and B26 (perhaps R26), C24, and 51844.

It doesn't appear very old, but he used it little.

It is one of the few things of his that I now have, and I am searching for a little information.

I appreciate all of those who can offer help on the subject.

Last edited by headdocs; October 2, 2005 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Email notification Option
Old October 2, 2005, 01:19 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Maybe someone can pin down the manufacture date, but the gun is the Model 12, also known as the Military and Police Airweight. The standard steel frame M&P is the Model 10, a very common police gun for decades. (The S&W M&P revolver dates back, through a number of upgrades, to 1905; S&W has recently called an auto pistol the "M&P", but we old timers know that no auto can ever really usurp the M&P name.) The Model 12 was discontinued in 1986.

You have an excellent .38 Special revolver, one of the best. With its alloy frame and short barrel, it was a favorite of detectives and other plain clothes law enforcement agents, and is still a good gun for concealed carry. Use of high power .38 Special ammo (designated +P or +P+) is not recommended.

Jim
Old October 2, 2005, 02:11 PM   #3
jacobtowne

If I'm reading the Standard Catalogue correctly, it was made between Oct. and Dec. 1982.
JT
Old October 6, 2005, 09:38 PM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Agreed

jacobtowne, I read the SCS&W the same way. If OCT 82 numbers began with AAF 9000, and DEC with ABL 3999, then I would estimate that ABC7296 was probably numbered sometime in mid-NOV.

Best,
Johnny