The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 20, 2017, 09:41 PM   #26
James K
Member In Memoriam

A 1911 pistol should close on a chambered round. IIRC, one of the requirements for the pistol being tested in 1910-1911 was that it operate as a single shot in case magazine(s) were lost or damaged.

Jim
Old September 21, 2017, 09:20 AM   #27
Destructo6

Quote:
Why do you think extractors have springs? They move-this is so they can slide over the rims of chambered rounds.
If this were not necessary, extractors would be fixed.
That's nonsense.

The pistol extractor is spring loaded, mainly, so it can release an ejecting round. Upon stripping a round from the magazine, the case slides under the extractor, which preloads slightly in the extractor groove.

Can the extractor snap over an already chambered round? Sure and should do so to extract a stuck case.

Can the extractor be damaged while snapping over an already chambered round? Absolutely and I've seen it happen on a thoroughly modern high quality firearm (HK).

Is there any reason to "slip a round in the pipe" and drop the slide? No.

Keep all of them clean.
Old September 21, 2017, 12:30 PM   #28
Bill DeShivs

Destructo-
See the post above yours.
A fixed extractor would work very well. Why hasn't it been done?
Maybe the thoroughly modern HK wasn't so thoroughly modern?
Old September 21, 2017, 04:41 PM   #29
Sevens

Sometimes we find ourselves making dumb arguments... seemingly for the select purpose of arguing.

Semiautomatic firearms are OBVIOUSLY designed to strip rounds from the top of a magazine. Beyond that (FACT) the rest is just pointless arguments.

Understand that while you most definitely can, successfully use the butt of a handgun to pound a nail flush, and depending on the size/head of the nail, the receiving surface and the particular handgun -- it may actually be possible to do this with ZERO ill effects...

...it will still be a dumb argument and shouldn't be encouraged.

Likewise, if the enemy is bearing down on you and you have one round and no magazine, slam away and it will likely work, if you are shipwrecked and your handgun is the ONLY thing that will plug the hole in your sinking raft, go for it but seriously, give up the dumb argument that it's a good idea.
Old September 22, 2017, 09:13 AM   #30
Destructo6

Quote:
Destructo-
See the post above yours.
A fixed extractor would work very well. Why hasn't it been done?
Maybe the thoroughly modern HK wasn't so thoroughly modern?
Really? You're citing someone's recollection as some sort of proof that loading a round into the chamber and then dropping the slide is a good idea?

HK thoroughly modern? heck yeah, but let's not stop there.

SW MP2.0 manual, page17
Quote:
WARNING: ALWAYS LOAD A ROUND INTO THE CHAMBER
BY FEEDING IT FROM THE MAGAZINE. FAILURE TO
FOLLOW THIS WARNING CAN RESULT IN SEVERE
INJURY OR DEATH TO YOU OR OTHERS. NEVER ATTEMPT TO
LOAD THE PISTOL BY INSERTING A ROUND INTO THE OPEN
EJECTION PORT.
In checking about a dozen manuals, I've found not one that mentioned slipping a round into the chamber as an acceptable method for loading.

Keep all of them clean.
Old September 22, 2017, 12:31 PM   #31
Bill DeShivs

Those same manuals say to never use reloaded ammunition, right?

Extractors are spring loaded specifically to slip over the rim of a chambered round. Any properly designed gun will not be harmed by this. The worst thing it will do is eat up your brass.
Old September 24, 2017, 03:50 PM   #32
disseminator

Quote:
Just curiosity, but has anyone actually seen or seen a reliable report of a chambered round being fired by the impact of the second round bullet nose on the primer of the chambered round?
Probably:

http://www.qsitraining.net/malfuncti...ttle-exciting/
Old September 27, 2017, 03:34 PM   #33
cw308

If you want to carry fully loaded , there's the right way to do that & your wrong way. Better change your ways or carry a revolver. Do you really do that or are you throwing it out for conversation. Sound almost as bad as looking down the barrel to see if a round is chambered. Carrying a weapon is our responsibility to be safety minded at all times , would be nice to go back in time but we can't . No second chances.
Old September 27, 2017, 04:53 PM   #34
Bill DeShivs

I'm not advocating slipping the extractor over a chambered round-I'm just saying it won't hurt the gun.

In all my years of using guns, I have never heard of a cambered round being fired by the impact of a second round. While it may be theoretically possible, it's a non-issue.
Old September 27, 2017, 08:48 PM   #35
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Extractors are spring loaded specifically to keep tension on the the rim to facilitate extraction
There, fixed it for you.
Snapping over the rim is incidental. When properly loaded from the magazine the rim slips up under the extractor. Which then holds tension on it for the extraction of the case.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 27, 2017, 10:28 PM   #36
Bill DeShivs

Whatever you think.
Old September 28, 2017, 08:21 AM   #37
Destructo6

Quote:
I'm not advocating slipping the extractor over a chambered round-I'm just saying it won't hurt the gun.
That's demonstrably not true.

Keep all of them clean.
Old September 28, 2017, 12:33 PM   #38
Bill DeShivs

Destructo-
I don't know what kinds of guns you are using, but the ones I have worked on for the last 45 years are not harmed by slipping the extractor over a chambered rim.
Old October 2, 2017, 05:58 AM   #39
arquebus357

Actually, if your extractor refuses to slip over the lip, there is probably something wrong with it.
Old October 2, 2017, 09:15 AM   #40
Ibmikey

Once again Bill you will be fighting an up hill battle with logic vs "what I was told" . I load my pistols from the mag with the safety device on if possible, and leave the mag one short or replace the cartridge as desired. This is not the only way owever, it bothers me not to drop a round in the chamber, slam the slide forward and insert mag it just depends upon what I care to do and at the same time remain totally safe. Many pistols do not lend themselves to the chamber loading so with them it is a moot issue.
There are too many folks today that worry more about bluing wear or scratches than they concern themselves with shooting and becoming proficient. I shoot untold thousands of rounds a year...how about you?
Old October 2, 2017, 09:46 AM   #41
SGW Gunsmith

Quote: "Actually, if your extractor refuses to slip over the lip, there is probably something wrong with it."

Are you saying that there's something wrong with the extractors on pre-64 Winchester Model 70's, Mauser 98's, the 1903 Springfield?