The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 19, 2017, 07:34 AM   #1
wild cat mccane

My LCP vs DB9 9mm

I thought I'd start a new thread with a comparison of my LCP .380 vs my DB9 9mm for size and other notes. I'll be shooting it this weekend.

To start, I've owned four LCPs, three P3ATs, and now four DB9s. I admit I'm pretty finicky about something displeasing me and selling it off.

I've had several Kahrs. My problem with the model has been function, but also they are too wide and too heavy for pocket carry. Fit in a pocket? yes. But not carry. For example, though the CM9/PM9 stack favorably on top of other pocket pistols, the width is hard to miss. Add the weight? I don't think it's really pocket carry all day item. Here is my P3AT with my CM9...

I liked the P3AT and the LCP, but when the gen2 LCP came out with its great trigger, there simply wasn't an argument to keep the LCP gen1. So I've been liking my LCP gen2 stainless for several years now. Unlike others, I find it extremely easy to shot and not "a handful." However, some knucklehead mentioned the false reset in the trigger that I'd never notice. This bugged me enough to come out of my shell to look some more options.

Enter the DB9 and its troubled past (including my own past with it). It's the LCP in size with a longer grip circumference (not width or tall length), slightly heavier, and a little longer barrel. If the LCP is pocketable all day, the DB9 is no different.

I admit the trigger has an issue of the return spring being under weight. After pulling the trigger, the weight to return to restrike is equal in weight to a dead trigger in any other stricker fire-pretty darn weak. There is an aftermarket spring kit to remedy this.

Sights are good. We'll see if the mags need the PF-9 spring in them. I'll also won't be forgiving if the gun has reliability issues after a few boxes of FMJ. I'll keep my rare LCP stainless until I feel good about the DB9.

A short time will tell, but I thought these pictures where better than most online showing these two in size. Notice the LCP on top of the DB9-the DB9 isn't really pocking out anywhere AND the weight is nearly the same.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; September 19, 2017 at 07:41 AM.
Old September 20, 2017, 12:20 PM   #2
Carl the Floor Walker

I also owned 4 LCP's since they came out. Also own a Kahr CW380. I am a pocketgunner, have been shooting them each weekend for a decade. I found the Pico and never looked back. Totally enamored by the quality and shooting characteristics.
I still own a LCP but never shoot it any longer. The Kahr, well I feel the same as yourself and just not that dependable and very finiky on ammo.
The Pico runs like a sewing machine. Eats any ammo I have feed it now with over 3000 rds without one hiccup. Bought a second one that now has over 700 rds with no flaws.
Plus the fact that these guns are so crazy mild to shoot. I mean they really are soft shooters. Plus they conceal so well. I have the Gen 2 models with the much easier racking, and really nice trigger. Double strike capability, everything stainless steel, except the Modular grip. Magazines that look like high end custom 1911's.
Some of the prices have gone down (that time of year) and thinking of picking up a third, simply because I like them so much.
Interesting pics of the DB9, keep us informed. Sounds interesting.
Old September 20, 2017, 04:25 PM   #3
DanPop

I owned a db380... For exactly 12 days. Couldn't get 3 rounds in a row without a jam. I can't imagine how anyone could own 4 of them. The db9 is just as criticized as the db380, the only purpose for these 2 guns is conceal carry/self defense and relying on them is semi-suicidle.
S&W Bodyguard 380 Ruger LCP 380
Old September 20, 2017, 11:42 PM   #4
turtlehead

Just ordered an LCP 2 from Bud's a few minutes ago. $212 shipped. Couldn't pass that deal up even though I am not a Ruger fan at all.

It just looks like a neat little gun. Will be interesting to compare it against the P238, which is just a fantastic gun.

I'm up to three .380s now so I guess that is the start of a collection. Cheetah 85FS is the other.

Looking forward to hearing more about your DB9 and how that works out.
Old September 21, 2017, 12:49 AM   #5
ammo.crafter

pocket pal

So much is how the gun feels in the pocket and ease of removal from pocket.

Obviously, performance is the most critical aspect of any firearm, especially a CCW.

My stainless AMT Backup works perfectly for me.
Old September 21, 2017, 05:21 PM   #6
wild cat mccane

The LCP is reliable and accurate in my eyes.

I'll be taking the DB9 out tomorrow.
Old October 3, 2017, 09:46 PM   #7
hornetguy

In hot weather, if I'm carrying, it's the Taurus TCP. I had issues with it at first with the bullets nudging the slide lock back tab, and locking the slide back before the mag was empty.
Judicious filing down of the tab, over two or three shooting sessions has rendered it pretty much 100% reliable now. Still locks back every time on an empty mag, and hasn't locked back prematurely in several shooting sessions of at least 50 rounds each.

I have well over 500 rounds through it, and I am confident in it. I really like the long double action trigger pull... very much like a double action revolver. Smooth.

I carry it in the front pocket of my shorts in a Nemesis holster. I have timed myself at starting with my hands at my sides, I can draw and put a round in the head of a silhouette target at 3 yards in under 2 seconds.

I make no claim to be "fast", so someone that is experienced at that type of thing would likely be much faster. The combination just works.
Old October 12, 2017, 04:18 PM   #8
dgludwig

The best and, in my opinion, just about the only reason to prefer an LCP over some other .380 and all other 9mm pistols is because it's lighter, smaller and reliable. Reason enough for me to have one.
Old October 12, 2017, 10:21 PM   #9
Ghost1958

I have a DB9 three pin.

Got it used and it was filthy with oil pouring out of it.
Fired it before cleaning it and out of 3 mags had one ftf.

Cleaned it, lubed it properly, very little in other words, and it's been flawless with fmj or any jhp I've put thru it.
I won't carry a 380 so the db9 fits as a back up or a simply cant go any larger occasion pistol which is rare.

I also won't carry a pistol unless I've got 200 rds of various ammo thru it without a hitch. I carry the DB9.

Don't over lube it and clean it occasionally and at least the one I have, is rock solid reliable.
Old October 19, 2017, 09:22 AM   #10
otasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPop View Post
I owned a db380... For exactly 12 days. Couldn't get 3 rounds in a row without a jam. I can't imagine how anyone could own 4 of them. The db9 is just as criticized as the db380, the only purpose for these 2 guns is conceal carry/self defense and relying on them is semi-suicidle.
What did you do with that jammin' .380? Sell it to a collector?