The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 4, 2000, 12:29 PM   #1
CD1

I was deer hunting with my Knight DISC muzzle loader yesterday when a six point buck came out about 90 yards away. This would be the first shot Ive had at a buck since the season started. I grunted at him, he looked and went back to what he was doing. I gave him a doe bleat, he looked, and went back about his business. Finally he stepped into a clear spot, I put the crosshairs on him, touched the trigger, and BANG! The #209 primer went off but didnt ignite the powder charge. It sounded like a 22 rifle going off. It was loud given the scenario, just me and him in the quiet woods. He stopped and looked over in my direction, I kept the crosshairs on him in case the load cooked off. Nothing. He didnt run. He went back to what he was doing. Now Im not believing this, I opened the bolt and dumped the used primer, it fell to the metal floor of my treestand with a loud "CLANK!" He looked again. Then went back to what he was doing. I eased another primer in the gun, picked a spot behind his shoulder and KABOOOOMMM! The whole world shook when that 150 grain pyrodex charge went off. Hammered him. I walked over to where I shot him and saw why he refused to leave. He was working two scrapes. Horny little guy stuck around too long.

[Edited by CD1 on 12-04-2000 at 01:30 PM]
Old December 4, 2000, 05:41 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I love stories with happy endings! Thanks!

Giz
Old December 4, 2000, 11:42 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Yeah, glad for the happy ending. More than one guy has lost his butt over a bit of tail...

But always remember the adage: "I'll take luck over skill, anytime."

, Art
Old December 5, 2000, 09:09 AM   #4
CD1

Thanks guys, Im still smiling and thankful over the outcome. It would have hurt my feelings if that buck ran off.
Old December 5, 2000, 12:53 PM   #5
Hot Core

Hey CD1, Yes indeed congratulations!

Getting one under normal conditions is great, but having an outstanding story to go along with the kill sure makes it special.

Sounds like you did everything right when it didn't fire. Any idea at all why you think it refused to ignite on the first shot? Any chance that you were using the Pyrodex Pellets and the first one down the bore might have gotten reversed?

I've heard that "hard to ignite" comment on the Pellets before, but never saw it first-hand.

Continued good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot COre
Old December 5, 2000, 02:55 PM   #6
CD1

Hot Core,

I am certain the fail to fire was due to oil blocking the flash hole in the breech plug. I went to great lengths to ensure the pellets were in correctly. I shot a bunch of rounds in practice before learning there was a correct way to put the pellets in, I thought it was mainly to help accuracy. Ive shot probably 30 rounds through the gun with no problems while sighting it in and practicing. I cleaned it about three weeks before the season and left it standing up on the butt. It had to be oil. Learned a lesson though. I'll blow a primer through it after I clean it from now on. Maybe the night before I take it hunting.

[Edited by CD1 on 12-05-2000 at 03:24 PM]
Old December 5, 2000, 05:55 PM   #7
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

When I used a .50 T/C I would fire a few caps while I was at the truck. Never had a misfire. If you will hold the muzzle close to some dirt or leaves (while firing the caps off), the movement (or lack there-of) will give you a visual sign that the primer hole is clear.

Giz

[Edited by Gizmo99 on 12-05-2000 at 10:39 PM]
Old December 5, 2000, 06:49 PM   #8
Hot Core

Hey CD1, Glad to hear you have an idea of what the problem stemmed from. Nothing worse than to go through an experience like that and not be able to assign a "cause" for the problem.

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core
Old December 6, 2000, 09:28 PM   #9
BadMedicine

CD1, I'm glad it worked out, and you had the wits about you to follow through with a good shot. Here's a darwin award candidate who also had a misfire, but it didn't turn out quite so well for him

NOMINEE NO. 7: ["The Indianapolis Star"].
A cigarette lighter may have triggered a fatal explosion in Dunkirk, Indiana. A Jay County man using a cigarette lighter to check the barrel of a muzzle-loader was killed Monday night when the weapon discharged in his face, sheriff's investigators said. Gregory David Pryor,19, died in his parents' rural Dunkirk home about 11:30 pm. Investigators said Pryor was cleaning a 54-caliber muzzle loader that had not been firing properly. He was using the lighter to look into the barrel when the gunpowder ignited.

Old December 7, 2000, 09:07 AM   #10
CD1

How did he live to be 19? Sounds like that guy shouldve died of stupidity a long time ago!