The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 12, 1999, 12:29 AM   #1
Fusternc

I shot my first batch of 9mm reloads in my Sig P226 today, and I had a several hangups I'm hoping you guys can help me prevent in the future.
I shot around 100 rounds, and I experienced ~25-30 "semi-stovepipes" where the empty case mouth while still pointing downrange, would start to extract and then get caught on the slide. Also, whenever I finished a magazine full, the slide NEVER locked back on an empty chamber. In comparison, with factory 9mm, the slide locks back like its supposed to. I was very careful in every step of the reloading process with this batch. I checked OAL on every round, and was careful in applying just the right taper crimp.

With this first batch, I used 4.9 grains of Unique behind a 115gr FMJ/hollow base , and CCI primers. The powder weight was about the middle of the safe range. Would these problems be caused by not enough powder? Thanks for your help.

Nathan..
Old December 12, 1999, 03:16 PM   #2
Sport45

I had the same troubles using 231 on the low end. Increasing the charge solved it for me.

------------------
"An unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Cesare Beccaria, the father of modern criminology

Old December 12, 1999, 08:04 PM   #3
TheOtherMikey

Check the dimensions of your loaded rounds. It is very important that rounds for semi-auto firearms be sized correctly so that they chamber correctly. It soulds to me as if this could be your problem. Check dimensions especially at the end of the case.
I prefer to use a factory crimp die to finish my rounds. I lossen the seating die so that all it does is seat the bullet and then the actual final sizing is done with the factory crimp die. A couple of companies make them, I use the Lee factory crimp die.

Hope this helps, Mikey
Old December 13, 1999, 10:51 AM   #4
Jack Straw

Fusternc,

My intro to reloading was loading 115gr FMJ for a 226. I was lucky enough to run into a representative from Master ammo who told me that it takes a bit more pressure to make pistols like Glocks and Sigs function properly, so that may be your problem. He also said that the powder they use burns pretty much like Unique, so that was the powder I chose. I can't recall exactly how many grains of Unique I use, (I just need to start bringing my records in to work with me) but I know it is more than 4.9gr. Take into consideration what TheOtherMikey said about dimensions and then start moving that charge up; that should do the trick.

BTW, a couple of years ago my dad bought an older 226 that would smokestack and then not lock back on the last shot, and that was using the same load that my gun gobbles up. I had to up the charges about .2gr to work his pistol. C'est la vie.

Stay safe!

Jack

Old December 13, 1999, 01:15 PM   #5
jtduncan

Fusernc:

I'm shooting 4.2 grains of Titegroup (4.4 suggested starting load) with Federal small pistol primers, and any old cases I can pick up at the range that are in great shape.

Tips: Are you tumbling your cases to get them really polished. Increases feedability.

Are you using a case gauge on each round? Midway sells them for $4.99 so get one and just drop your finished round in. Any problems will become clear.

As TheOtherMikey said, get a Lee factory die crimp and set it to factory specs. Lots of reloaders on GlockTalk swear by it and so do I. I don't have failures with my reloaded ammo, it's usually the factory stuff like PMC that messes with my Glocks and P226.

Check your magazine for unusual wear or damage, it may need an adjustment.

And as jackstraw stated, bump up the garinage slightly as long as in safe range. That may help it cycle more reliably.

------------------

The Seattle Shooter