The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2022, 09:58 AM   #26
divil

OK I slugged the barrel. I tried it on a few milsurp rifles I have to help me get the hang of it and compare. They all had variations in resistance, but the Lee Enfield was the most consistent.

The trouble is, it has 5 grooves so it's very difficult to measure the slug with any certainty. Here's what I did based on some tips I read:

* I wrapped a .003 feeler gauge tightly around the slug and measured that with a micrometer, then subtracted twice the thickness of the feeler gauge.

* I measured the slug, then rotated it a little, and measured again, repeatedly until I had turned it around several times. This way I hoped I would occasionally catch the almost-opposite corners.

With both methods the highest measurement I get is consistently .311". I'm not totally confident in this. Obviously it's not like .308 or .317, but it's possible that it's really .312" or .313" and I just haven't measured it the right way. Any tips on what else I can do to improve my measurement?

I also got a bullet puller and pulled one of the Prvi bullets from the ammo that has been shooting really well. It's .312.

I got the Lyman reloading manual and they give loadings for both .311 and .312 bullets, tested in a rifle with a .313 groove depth. Would I be safe enough copying that?
Old December 2, 2022, 11:11 AM   #27
mikejonestkd

Quote:
I also got a bullet puller and pulled one of the Prvi bullets from the ammo that has been shooting really well. It's .312.
You answered your own question.

Buy .312" diam bullets if they are shooting well in your rifle.
Old December 9, 2022, 12:11 PM   #28
foxmeadow

Lots of data collected from many sources in one little cartridge-specific book:
http://www.loadbooks.com/