The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Should a home defense shotgun have a sling?
Yes 7 17.07%
No 34 82.93%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 11, 2016, 08:56 PM   #1
Model12Win

Home Defense Shotgun: Sling?

Hey guys, what's going on? Well I am the proud new owner of a Remington 870 Police with 4-shot magazine tube and wood stock. I plan to make this my dedicated home defense shotgun.

I would like your thoughts/opinions:

Does a dedicated home defense shotgun need a sling? What are the pros/cons for home defense use? I here that "a sling is like a holster for a handgun, you have to have one for a shotgun/rifle" and things like that but have also heard others suggest it can snag on obstacles and provide a means of disarmament of yourself by an attacker.

What are your thoughts guys? Should I through a sling on there, or leave it be?

Thanks!
Old August 11, 2016, 09:10 PM   #2
Blindstitch

Do you plan on wearing it over your shoulder?
Old August 11, 2016, 09:16 PM   #3
TXAZ

If you're trying to carry a Punt Gun for home defense, sure you probably need it. If you're trying to support the Slings Industries of America, Inc, sure.
Otherwise, If you need a sling to carry the gun, you must either live in a 20 acre mansion, and should let your manservant / Director of Security handle it, or you may not be able to handle the weight or recoil of a 12 gauge.

(No.)

in such a small area (compared to outdoors) I see no utility in a sling (other than a grab-point for a burglar you've confronted)

Cave illos in guns et backhoes

Last edited by TXAZ; August 11, 2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old August 11, 2016, 09:22 PM   #4
lefteye

I have several Remington 870 shotguns including a home defense model. I would never put a sling on a home defense shotgun because I don't want to risk snagging the sling on anything (such as furniture) if I have the gun in my hands for a home defense incident. I do have a sling on one 870, i.e., my deer shotgun with a rifled barrel and cantilever scope mount with Leupold 1-4 variable shotgun scope.
Old August 11, 2016, 09:28 PM   #5
FITASC

Pros - none
Cons - can snag at the worst moment on things like doorknobs, bedposts, or similar.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 12, 2016, 10:01 AM   #6
Chief Brody

My 870P wears an M1 carbine sling for matches or classes. I forgot to take it off at one point when I was taking it from under the bed, into the next room for cleaning - the sling got caught on the door knob. This will never, ever happen again.
Old August 12, 2016, 10:34 AM   #7
g.willikers

My 2 cents:
A sling can be something for the bad guy to grab in an effort to disarm you.
Slings are better for carrying and to steady a rifle, but less useful for defending your home.
Old August 12, 2016, 01:16 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...something for the bad guy to grab..." Tactical error of letting the BG get too close. snicker.
Like g.willikers says, slings on shoguns are for carrying the thing. Not much need for that for your purpose. Sling it if you ever envision hunting with it, but otherwise why bother?
Have a Sterling SMG sling for my 870. Only use when hunting. No swivel with the tube extension on.
Old August 12, 2016, 02:58 PM   #9
jaguarxk120

You'll trip on the sling and break your glasses.
Old August 12, 2016, 03:47 PM   #10
armedleo

I'll get hung up on a door knob and fire when you didn't mean to. Forget it.
Old August 12, 2016, 04:40 PM   #11
g.willikers

Quote:
Tactical error of letting the BG get too close.
Ya' just never know where they're hiding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbUD7FRStbY
Old August 12, 2016, 05:50 PM   #12
Model12Win

Quote:
You'll trip on the sling and break your glasses.
Is this you being facetious?
Old August 12, 2016, 06:25 PM   #13
JERRYS.

"should" is too definitive.

for a house shotgun a sling is unnecessary but not a detractor.

in the field much will depend on the use of the shotgun on whether a sling is in the way or a God send.
Old August 12, 2016, 06:42 PM   #14
jaguarxk120

If you don't break your glasses, you will surely put your eye out!
Old August 23, 2016, 04:29 AM   #15
bamaranger

sling

Firstly, there are different types of slings.....simple carry straps, and the now popular tactical slings. In the limited role of home defense, you may not need a sling of any type. But in the broader role of patrol, or even field use, I believe a sling on any long gun is a plus.

For example, what if you have to use your hands for something other than holding the shotgun: negotiating an obstacle, first aid, handcuffing a suspect, etc, etc. What do you do with the long gun......not all circumstances favor propping it in a corner or placing it on some type of flat surface...unsecure and possibly unattended.

A detachable sling addresses some of the snagging problems. I detach the sling on my turkey gun on most setups...I don't want it swinging away beneath the gun as a gobbler approaches....but it sure is handy when toting stuff, as in say blind, stool, maybe even a bird too!

The popular tactical slings actually seem to attach the gun to the body....not only does a subject have to take it from your hands, they have to get it out of your webbing too.....I'm not so sure a tac sling is not actually an asset in retention!

I read somewhere that some tactical fellow got his tac sling hung in the skid of a lifting off 'copter..., so some type of release on the harness types might be advisable too.
Old August 23, 2016, 09:19 AM   #16
FITASC

He's talking home defense, not playing commando; a sling is not necessary nor wanted for HD.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 23, 2016, 10:35 AM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

Quick detachable sling swivels mounted on the gun, OK.

Sling mounted on the gun, inside the house? (home defense) DUMB!!!

Especially if its a pump gun.

And I never even considered the thought of a bad guy grabbing the sling!

Unlike a rifle, where a sling can be used as an aid to a steady position (when done right) a sling on a shotgun is just a carry strap.

If its on the gun when the gun is in your hands, it hangs, swings, and gets caught on virtually everything you move past.

If you "gather" the sling (hold it tight to the gun) it doesn't snag, but can interfere with operating the gun, particularly a pump.

Put QD swivels on the gun, leave the sling OFF, until you are outside, in the field, and have an actual use or need for it. (this also applies if you use a rifle/carbine for home defense, as well)
Old August 23, 2016, 10:48 AM   #18
Pahoo

Your shotgun, your call. ??

Quote:
Home Defense Shotgun: Sling?
The way you phrased it, I'd say no. Is there a particular reason why you ask? I can think of many reason why "I" would not and none of why I should. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old August 23, 2016, 11:37 AM   #19
Nathan

A 2 pt or single point front hang might be nice for dropping the gun quick to manipulate kids, doors, etc.

Hurts odd angle firing cause you have to turn to turn the gun.
Old August 23, 2016, 12:35 PM   #20
FITASC

Quote:
A 2 pt or single point front hang might be nice for dropping the gun quick to manipulate kids, doors, etc.
If the situation has all of those possibilities, then you'd be better off with a handgun
Old August 25, 2016, 10:26 AM   #21
rpseraph

For home defense? No.

The Prepper in me: Mine does have sling points and I do have a spare sling in my bug out bag in case I have to leave home.
Old August 25, 2016, 01:58 PM   #22
bamaranger

commando

I don't play commando. I occasionally do misread things and neglected the "home defense only" aspect of the thread after I'd read a couple of responses. I do tend to answer threads based upon my background and interests.

A sling on the LE/patrol/hunt shotgun is an asset. In a purely HD circumstance, not a requirement and likely a liability. A detachable two point carry strap, used as appropriate, would solve all issues.

I don't own a helicopter either.
Old August 25, 2016, 02:03 PM   #23
FITASC

Quote:
I don't own a helicopter either.
But if you did, would it be black and have Dillon Aero miniguns??????
Old August 25, 2016, 02:17 PM   #24
Old Bill Dibble

The way you are describing it you don't need a sling... until you do.

So why might you need a sling?

If your plan is to defend your home with four rounds of anything you might want to rethink that plan. So supposing you have a pistol on your belt what are you going to do with the shotgun when you transition to it?

Suppose you stumble across bad guy in your kitchen and he wets his pants at the shotgun and gives up. How do you keep your gun trained on him while talking to the 911 operator?

Lots of other scenarios where a sling might be handy, just pointing to the more obvious ones.

I am not a big fan of slings but they do have their uses. If you plan on defending your home with the gun then you need to walk through it a few times in varying light conditions with the gun to see what works and what does not work.

This isn't about being a commando this is simple common sense.
Old August 25, 2016, 04:54 PM   #25
FITASC

Quote:
Suppose you stumble across bad guy in your kitchen and he wets his pants at the shotgun and gives up. How do you keep your gun trained on him while talking to the 911 operator?
You make him get face down, cross his ankles and interlock his fingers behind his back while you use your phone on speaker mode. Slings are just bad ju-ju inside a home where Mr Murphy rules the day