The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 29, 2000, 12:50 PM   #1
dragontooth73

i have NO time to put down the detail i want to here (eh look ... rushed for time ... imma mainlander now lolz) ... but since you had that *look* in your eyes i wanted to suggest some places you could goto in japan to explore martial arts a bit more.

i've mulled it over and skipped the gladiator academies and kungfu studios ... since you'll probably have exposure to that in LA. here are some experimental styles ... all of them are located in the greater Tokyo metroplex:

Taijutsu - Chiba-ken, 03-3269-0467

founded by a pair named Nagano and Kura, both met in the college Karate tournament circuit. Kura (5'5") was fighting a bigger opponent (6'2") and could make no headway ... in the midst of the fight Kura made one light punch on gut instinct and down the bigger guy went. Nagano and Kura since then have been looking for the secret in that punch ... they used a whole bunch of other college karateka as guinea pigs (lol) and have incorporated some neat reflexology theories into their training.

shoot ... have to goto work ... will list 4 other places as i come back ... by the way i feel obligated to explain the a subtle aspect of japanese nuance (lecture mode on)

there's a marked difference between mushin (no-mind) and isshin (one-mind) ... people do talk about "zen consciousness" and whatnot, but the pillar of concentration is not really mushin; that's an ungraspable state. by it's very nature you can't actively strive for it, so what's the use of even describing it?

there's a term called "seishin tohistu" (lit. spiritual fusion) that's used to describe the harmony between mind and body ... this cohesion makes possible either mushin or isshin, and personally i'd venture to say that most people describe isshin ("i am going to take this BG down") ... in mushin you can't remember what the hell happened - heck just mentioning it means you're snapped out of it - so i'd say that isshin is the best way to describe the concentration necessary for battle.

heck, anyone who's lived in japan or watched old war movies probably has seen bandannas wrapped round the forehead with words such as "shori" (lit. victory) and "tohkon" (lit. fighting spirit) ... and also isshin ... the vocabulary of battle supports it; "taba ni natteh kakaru" (to be attack united) and a whole bunch of other phrases. mention of mushin? never. that's for zen priests.

anyways, hope i made sense ... late for work LOLz ... brb later to add more

[This message has been edited by dragontooth73 (edited September 29, 2000).]
Old September 29, 2000, 02:22 PM   #2
LASur5r

Dragontooth73,
Eh, tanks ey bruddah.
I'll be headed into Hong Kong and China in about half a year. I'll start there...will talk my Hong Kong contacts into setting up the visits into Japan if can do.
Mahalo...anything you need...just drop a dime.

I got a feeling I gotta bring wife along or mo bettah no come home. You no da kine.

For the informed TFL'ers...this is Hawaiian pidgin English I stay writing.

How it relates to self-defense is that I need to find the thread behind true martial arts and real application in real situations.
Then I can post what I learned for anybody
to read!!! Yeah, that's the ticket...I'll tell my wife that's what I'm doing.

Skorzeny and Danger Dave,
As you guys have posted, I believe we are of similar thoughts...ultimately, it is my life and my risk but I'd like to find (someone else's ) truth?, but keep your information coming....it is greatly appreciated and it is for the benefit of all.

Thank you guys.
Old September 30, 2000, 04:22 PM   #3
dragontooth73

Denjukendo - Tokyo - 03-3264-4730

Founded by Seto, 3rd son of a martial arts family (older brothers went into Kendo and Matsuzawa-ryu Karate) ... studied Shorinji Kenpo, went over to Taiwan to study Shaolin Kungfu. Had an epiphany during the sojourn upon contact with Qigong. Does no weight training, does a very simple set of breathing and striding exercises to retain Ki in the body. Took 5 years for him to attain a state where his breathing and Kiai naturally merged. worth a visit just for that.

Yako-ryu Jujustu - Saitama-ken - 048-641-2003/2062

Very much a variant of Daito-ryu Aiki-jujustu. Noted for the remarkable simplicity of the transmission of techniques. Teaches Ki-based medicine and Shiatsu methods at the same time. Also a number of lovely pressure point strikes. Since your background was in Jujustu first thought you might want to visit this

There ... those are the 3 i was going to mention ... they schools are chosen for (1) Japanese-style methods, excluding transplanted kung-fu branch schools and the like, and (2) for rarity. Taijutsu takes the ichigeki hissatsu one step further, Denjukendo incorporates Kungfu-style Qi exercises in a Karate format to maximize power, and Yako-ryu Jujustu ... well, that's an oldie. You could also try, for fun, my old school:

Aikido Yoshinkan aka Honbu Dojo
2-28-8 Ochiai, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 161
03-3368-5556

Several words of warning ... the school is located in an alley ... very hard to find ... the building is old ... it's about a 20 minute walk from the train station at Shinjuku (there's a bus, Number 20(?) but I never take it) ... do not eat at ANY restaurant within a square mile of it unless a teacher recommends one ... especially the noodle shop on the main road outside WHICH IS TO BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS ... lockers are small ... you'll need a steady supply of 100 yen coins for them ... other than that it's a fun place ... the Ueshibas live right next door too in the house on the left ... oh and don't explore the cul-de-sacs on the end of the alley ... you WILL get lost and it will take you a whole day to sort yourself out.

Skorzeny has the addresses for the Shooto gyms I think ... offhand I don't remember where Takeda Nobuhiro, Enson Inoue, and Sato Rumina train ... anyone out there reading this who knows, feel free to post.

Everyone have a good day ... plenny aloha'z
Old October 3, 2000, 10:49 AM   #4
LASur5r

Dragontooth73,
Old October 3, 2000, 10:54 AM   #5
LASur5r

Dragontooth73,

You mentioned that you are now mainlander?

Doko ni?

If you stay in soCal,leave me location and we can get together...I give you the 50 cent tour, especially da kine ono places where the food broke da mouth.

Anyway, welcome to the mainland...now you stay one more transplanted pineapple. Welcome.
Old October 3, 2000, 01:51 PM   #6
dragontooth73

eh mahalo'z brah ... right now in boston. actually been here for a while now, did some postgraduate research ... taking a train trip across to da west (i kno, i kno ... japanese love trains lol ... you kno da kine) and if i'm in kali i'll let you know