The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2011, 02:47 PM   #1
poline

158 gain lead LRNFP vs 158 gain lead Sem-wad cutter?

I've been useing 158 gain lead LRNFP (cal. 38spl), but now I want to use 158 gain lead Sem-wad cutter.

I can find no load data, per say, for the 158 gain Sem-wad cutter only the 158 gain lead LRNFP, actually just 158 gain lead bullet. Therefore, I'm thinking that I can just use the same data for the 158 gain Sem-wad cutter.

It is a rare thing for me, since I joined the forum, to do anything, concerning reloading, without first finding out what the FORUM has to say about a subject.
Any response including......duh..... is appreciated.

THANKS FELLOWS
Old March 15, 2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Doodlebugger45

Yep. Same loading data will apply as long as the weight and hardness stay the same. If the hardness changed dramtically, you might need to adjust the powder a bit to avoid leading in the barrel, but just changing the shape of the nose won't give you an effect.
Old March 15, 2011, 07:10 PM   #3
tac_driver

your OAL might change because where the crimping groove is on the 158gr LSWC might be different from the LRNFP.
Glock 21SF,S&W 67 Combat,Colt series 80 Combat,Glock 19
Old March 15, 2011, 09:42 PM   #4
reloader28

Duh....I agree. The nose shape hasnt made a big difference in my loads as long as its the same weight, but you still might have to fine tune just a little.
Old March 16, 2011, 09:40 AM   #5
MSD Mike

LSWC data will be very close to lead round nose. There is plenty of data listed specificly for 158GR LSWC, try the websites below and you should find something to suit your needs. I prefer the SWC or even a full WC for target use. They cut an easy to see hole in paper targets and if you are plinking they seem to really knock cans and such around rather than slipping right through them like a round nose.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...26&bulletid=30

Thanks
Mike
Old March 16, 2011, 09:48 AM   #6
spacecoast

Other than the possibility that the crimp groove is located a little differently, which could cause adjustment of the OAL (in addition to the bullet nose shape), I would use the same data.
Old March 16, 2011, 10:09 AM   #7
jmortimer

"I would use the same data"
Exactly, unless your load is on the redline for the gun then I would be careful in the load development.