The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 21, 2015, 06:39 PM   #1
KEYBEAR

Dillon Problems

I bought a new Dillon 550B three weeks ago . Got the loader set up and the Early Primer Warning System did not work . The one on my Dillon 650 still works after years . I called Dillon and they sent me a new one and it did not work . Last week I sent Dillon three Warning Buzzers and they sent me a new one today YES IT DOES NOT WORK ????? Now I am up to four that did not work .

Anyone have this kind of problem .
Old October 21, 2015, 06:49 PM   #2
Vance

What about it does not work? Does it not fit on the press? The buzzer does not go off when the lever is depressed? If so, Did you try a new battery? I guess Dillon would have asked those questions also..

I've never experienced this.
Old October 21, 2015, 06:54 PM   #3
KEYBEAR

As of today Dillon has sent me four Buzzers none work .
Yes I tried a new Battery , I even ask if I was not doing something right I think I will live without a buzzer .
Old October 21, 2015, 07:10 PM   #4
jmorris

Never had that problem myself but I wouldn't live with out it. If you don't tighten the socket head cap screw you can just swap your working one between the two (what I did when I used mine on my LNL's) until they send you a working one. I would also explain to whom ever you speak with that you keep getting duds and ask that they please put a battery in one and test it before boxing it up.
Old October 21, 2015, 07:28 PM   #5
KEYBEAR

I have called Dillon three times I also sent three Buzzers back last week . Yes I do like the Warning Buzzer . I called and talked to the Dillon help line people .
I ask if it was anything I was doing ????

It is not a big deal but I have got FOUR (4) buzzers in the mail so far all junk .
I put the BATTERY IN MOUNT THE BUZZER AND NOTHING . Yes I tried a new Battery .
Old October 21, 2015, 07:51 PM   #6
jmorris

Do you have a volt ohm meter?
Old October 21, 2015, 08:11 PM   #7
KEYBEAR

No Volt OHM Meter . I guess it is unreasonable just to think one would work ? I was told by the person on the help line he would make sure it would work before shipping it ? The Buzzer comes by mail in a soft envelope . It looks good but it will not work ??

This loader has been a pain to get working so far three part replacements .
Not counting the Primer Warning Buzzer . The Lock-n-Load is looking better all the time .
Old October 21, 2015, 08:39 PM   #8
jmorris

Quote:
This loader has been a pain to get working so far three part replacements .
Not counting the Primer Warning Buzzer . The Lock-n-Load is looking better all the time .
I'll buy you a new LNL and take the pain away from you if you like. Send me a PM if your interested.
Old October 21, 2015, 09:43 PM   #9
Vance

Did you go to the grocery store and buy a new battery and try that one? Batteries do go dead just setting in a drawer. I work in a company that makes pre-amps fol guitars. We always get pre-amps back that don't work that work fine for us when we put a good battery in it. Customers always claim they tried a "new" battery.
Old October 21, 2015, 10:41 PM   #10
sghart3578

deleted

Last edited by sghart3578; October 22, 2015 at 07:10 AM. Reason: deleted
Old October 22, 2015, 12:09 AM   #11
PbSb

"The Lock-n-Load is looking better all the time"

Never had that problem before but before you go buy a LNL, test drive a RCBS Pro 2000..Hands down the best press I have ever used..They are on sale at a lot of places due to the release of the new pro chucker but I would trade mine for anything..Well, almost anything...

PS- Not bashing red or blue as they are very nice as well..I just love the APS and the Pro-2000..If you stick with it through the learning curve u will be hooked!
Old October 22, 2015, 02:04 AM   #12
AzShooter

I have the Dillon 550 and a 650. Both work flawlessly.
Old October 22, 2015, 08:23 AM   #13
KEYBEAR

Vance

I did buy a new battery dated to 2017 . I am not having fun sending the parts back and have tried a number of things to make them work .

I have put the same battery in other things and they work fine .
I can and will use this press without the primer buzzer .

At this point I give up it is not worth the time .
I only ask if anyone was having the same problem .
Old October 22, 2015, 08:43 AM   #14
jmorris

Quote:
test drive a RCBS Pro 2000..Hands down the best press I have ever used..They are on sale at a lot of places due to the release of the new pro chucker
If you go that route get all the spare parts you think you might ever need because RCBS has a history of not supporting old models with replacement parts (RCBS 4x4, piggy back 3 and 4, green machine and ammomaster were a few of them). Also get as many of the plastic strips you can find as the press will be equally useless without them.
Old October 22, 2015, 09:25 AM   #15
F. Guffey

Quote:
No, I do not have those type of problems. The switch is an off/on switch that is controlled by gravity. My wife has installed batteries without understand polarity. Then there is that parallel and series thing. If I had a problem with the audible part of the unit I would change the buzzer to a light, or I could add the light and have an audible and visual warning system.

The one system I am not sure about is the 'dip stick' method.

F. Guffey
Old October 22, 2015, 09:34 AM   #16
F. Guffey

Quote:
test drive a RCBS Pro 2000..Hands down the best press I have ever used..They are on sale at a lot of places due to the release of the new pro chucker
In the big inning RCBS offered both priming systems for the Pro 2000.
Then there is that thought process, there is no way to clean the primer pocket between de-capping and installing a primer when one is done on the upstroke and the other is done on the down stroke. AND all those horror stories about primer tubes and holes through the roof.

F. Guffey
Old October 22, 2015, 09:37 AM   #17
KEYBEAR

jmorris

I agree 100% I had an RCBS 4X4 . RCBS at that time came out with a new press every six months and totally forgot the old models .

It looks a lot like they (RCBS) have not changed there ways .
Old October 22, 2015, 09:57 AM   #18
jmorris

Suppose it is not just RCBS, Hornady did the same thing with the pro 7 and pro-jector progressives.
Old October 22, 2015, 11:35 AM   #19
F. Guffey

Quote:
If I had a problem with the audible part of the unit I would change the buzzer to a light, or I could add the light and have an audible and visual warning system.
Quote:
I have taken on problems for other people, I never thought it a problem. If there was a problem it had to do with how I solved problems. Hindsight, I can never remember when finished after getting involved in other peoples problems anyone was better off when finished. Again, I do not mind.

F. Guffey
Old October 22, 2015, 05:13 PM   #20
PbSb

Hey..Different strokes for different folks..RCBS has told me personally that they plan to support the Pro-2000 for at least 10 years IF they d/c it. They have sold these for more then a decade and will most definitely continue support for the foreseeable future. Heck, they have not even said that it's being discontinued but it's my guess they will be eventually..I am going to buy another because
I am so happy with it and I don't ever want to be without one on my bench..They really are that good. (To me at least..ymmv)

As far as strips go, all you need is a 5000 pack of CCI 500(or whatever) and you are set for life. RCBS also makes other equipment that use these strips so they aren't going anywhere and you can pick up CCI 500's @ Grafs for less then regular primers.. When I first started using it I was frustrated and did in fact ruin a few strips. Once I figured out that I was the problem and not the press, the heavens opened up and I can now run one single strip almost indefinitely..

Anyway, It was just a thought and some people can't stand them but if you get frustrated with Blue, don't forget to look at green..Sometimes the grass is greener!!<<Pretty funny huh..?

Sorry to go off topic and to that end..Give Dillion another chance to fix it..They have always stood by the presses that they make(I have in also) and I'm guessing this is a very rare fluke...
Old October 22, 2015, 06:50 PM   #21
KEYBEAR

F. Guffey

If I find I do have a problem will it be a problem if i PM you . Also if the problem is not to your liking will that be a problem and if it is a problem will it still be my problem .

Thank You NO PROBLEM RIGHT
Old October 22, 2015, 06:53 PM   #22
wogpotter

What happens if you just push the black arm down?

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old October 22, 2015, 07:17 PM   #23
KEYBEAR

wogpotter You sound like the e-mail I got from Dillon today .
They ask about the same thing .

I ask them if the buzzers I sent back last week worked for them .

I have had A buzzer on a 650 for 10/12 years .
So I think I know how it works .
Old October 23, 2015, 07:25 AM   #24
stubbicatt

I had this issue with that device on my 1050. I glued a 200 grain 45 bullet to the top of the plastic "primer follower." It seemed to me that the follower didn't have enough mass to reliably trigger the switch.

Perhaps this fix will work for you too.
Old October 23, 2015, 09:15 AM   #25
PbSb

Quote:
.F Guffey

If I find I do have a problem will it be a problem if i PM you . Also if the problem is not to your liking will that be a problem and if it is a problem will it still be my problem .

Too funny...I reread his post over and over and I still am lost..