The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 25, 2014, 02:45 AM   #51
Nick_C_S

As Sevens said: Grinding any propellant is an extraordinarily bad idea. The change in surface area will likely change the burn characteristics. Ill advised on the highest order.

As for W231/HP-38: I haven't seen any on a LGS shelf since Nov 2012. If it weren't for people's reports of sightings here on TFL, I'd actually believe that it is simply not being made. When this big shortage first hit, I restricted myself from using it for everything except 45 ACP (where I think its performance really shines). But I've now decided to just use it freely and if I run out, I run out. I have about 3/4 Lb remaining. I have lots of Bullseye, AA2, and now Nitro 100 that all work too. It's just that W231 runs so dang clean; I love the stuff.

Nitro 100 is new to me. Never used it before. I got it purely for making Power Factor for IDPA and ICORE in 38 Special. I've loaded and chronographed 10 whole rounds with it so far. 5 each - 148 DEWC 2.4g; and 158 LSWC 2.4g. Just the very beginning starting point. They chronographed at 668 & 643 fps resectively. Heh - gotta start somewhere. The 148's need to make IDPA power factor (710 fps); and the 158's for ICORE power factor (760 fps). Obviously, they're in the very early stages of development. Now that I have a starting point, my next batch will be 2.6g, 2.7g, & 2.8g for the 148's. And 2.8g, 2.9g, & 3.0g for the 158's.
Old December 25, 2014, 06:31 AM   #52
hartcreek

What would happen if i slightly ground unique for easier more accurate metering for 9

There is no need and it will get you into trouble real fast. I use Unique for tiny cases .32 ACP and .32 S&W and have no problems meetering it clear down to 1.6 grains BUt my meter is a Lyman 55 and that is why.

The Lyman 55 uses three slides but they are parellel to the cylliner of the meter instead of perpendicular.;
Old December 25, 2014, 06:41 AM   #53
hartcreek

Where I get my powder

I watch for powder everywher I go. I have been putting off loading 9mm for six months because i did not want to dip into my personal supply of Unique and I found HS6 at my LGS he could only get 12 pounds and I bought 3.

I load 9mm for my chiropractor and a few of my nephews friends but I saw a Star sitting down at Cabellas so I may just put it on lay away. I dont need it as I have plenty of others and more powerful but if I have a 9mm then I can more easily deal with loading and this crazy powder situation wher one has to substitute what one likes for what is available.

It is nuts.....I have project vehicles of my own that I need to get through my shop but my money is going into reloading instead.
Old December 27, 2014, 01:10 AM   #54
Nick_C_S

Quote:
and I found HS6 at my LGS
Well you did just fine there. I think HS-6 is better suited for 9mm than Unique anyway. (See post #43 about my gushing on about HS-6 )

I was at my LGS Sunday. They had more powder than I've ever seen there in over two years. Granted, almost all of it was for big rifles, but still. And there was one lone pound of Ramshot Silhouette. Silhouette is good suff; I was surprised to see it sitting there. For a couple seconds, I thought about grabbing it - only because it was there. And then I reminded myself this is why the shortage persists. I let it be.
Old December 27, 2014, 11:17 AM   #55
m&p45acp10+1

I just check the LGS when I can. They do get it in. It just goes off the shelf fast after it is stocked. I pick up a can or two if I need it. I will call friends that reload, and ask if they are short on anything. If they are, and it is on the shelf I will pick it up for them.

The LGS has plenty of Herco on the shelf. That is the one that has never run out.
Old December 27, 2014, 08:37 PM   #56
DavidAGO

I was given a gift card for a sporting goods store in our area that I do not usually shop at. I went today and saw 2 dozen pound bottles of HP-38 and a dozen pound bottles of Titegroup on the shelves. I have not seen that much pistol powder at a retail store in many months. Maybe supplies are getting back to normal. I bought 4 lbs, 2 for me, 2 for son in law.

David
Old December 29, 2014, 08:07 PM   #57
lah2420

Thanks for the tip David. I took off early today to drive over to Magnolia. Picked up 2 cans of HP38, 1 of Titegroup, and 1 of Varget. They have powder! Told the wife I was going to spend about $50. Oops!
Old December 29, 2014, 09:27 PM   #58
9mmSkeeter

I picked up some Titegroup last week (12-23-14), three pounds of it to be exact. $18.99, at a Scheels location (it's a chain sporting store in case you aren't familiar). Today my LGS had Hodgdon HS-6 and Longshot. I bought them out of Longshot - a whopping 2 lbs, for $24.99 ea. I decided on longshot simply for the economics of it - I load 9mm almost exclusively now, and it's like 4 grains versus HS-6's published load of 6.3. That's a whopping difference.

Anywho, new here, just thought i would share! Good luck to everyone.
Old December 29, 2014, 09:35 PM   #59
lah2420

The only Scheels I've been in was in Illinois. Couldn't buy powder because of Illinois' idiotic laws since I did not have a FOID issued by the state. Wouldn't mind them opening a store here. They were well stocked with reloading supplies when I was there.
Old December 29, 2014, 11:48 PM   #60
9mmSkeeter

I really enjoy the atmosphere. It's always busy and a little loud, as well as gigantic - but the salesmen are always friendly and things are right where you need them. They also price match anything - as long as you can prove it with an ad or a website - including that titegroup I talked about (it was $22.99 but they matched Brownell's pricing). I've also started buying my guns there. Again, friendly atmosphere.
Old December 30, 2014, 03:35 PM   #61
mags2079

I just got a pound of bullseye from my local bass pro last one they had in stock. they also have a good selection of primers in
Old December 30, 2014, 04:10 PM   #62
AKhog

We aren't in Alaska. We can't buy mail-order unless we buy and entire pallet!
The big boxes never seem to get any and the LGSs always seem to be gone before I get there.
Old January 2, 2015, 07:10 PM   #63
sawdustdad

A miracle today

Local gun shop (Green Top) Ashland, VA had pistol/shotgun powder on the shelf today. About six 8lb kegs of Promo and a dozen 1lb bottles of Titewad. Didn't need any, didn't buy any.
Old January 2, 2015, 07:27 PM   #64
Nick_C_S

Gunbot shows that Butch's had HP-38. Sold out 3 hours ago. Other than TFL posts of sightings (which I don't dispute), that's the first evidence I've personally seen of W231/HP-38 being available anywhere since Nov 2012.

Seems like things are getting a little better.
Old January 2, 2015, 09:44 PM   #65
sawdustdad

I saw the HP-38 on Gunbot too, but a couple hours too late. I've got 2 lbs on hand, and am not currently loading with it, so didn't feel too bad.

But pistol powder at the LGS is a good sign, for sure. It's been nonexistent here for a year.
Old January 2, 2015, 09:59 PM   #66
9mmSkeeter

I should say that I live in South Dakota. Maybe some areas are more
"Powder-prone" than others? Anyways my LGS in eastern SD has 12 lbs of HS-6 left. $25/lb.
Old January 2, 2015, 10:33 PM   #67
hnusz

started buying powder and primers in march of this year started reloading at the same time. I must have been lucky I have 4# varget 6# auto comp 5# unique 4#800x 1#each of accurate 5 and 7 5k spp 4k lpp 1k lrp all Winchester I cast my own bullets for handgun wheel weights I get for free. yep I think I have been lucky
Old January 2, 2015, 11:19 PM   #68
9mmSkeeter

I don't know what I would do if I saw Unique in the wild. I'd probably buy an 8lb jug if not more.

I have 1/2 lb left, and I'm rationing it sparingly. I am taking a similar liking to Longshot however...it's similar in structure but meters better.
Old January 2, 2015, 11:25 PM   #69
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I don't know what I would do if I saw Unique in the wild.
It took some waiting and standing in line over this past summer, but I managed to acquire 3lbs of Unique from my LGS.

And they had more - but I passed it by. Passed up Power Pistol and Bullseye, after getting my share too.

Funny how certain areas seem to have more of one type of powder over the other.

sawdustdad: I have about 3/4 Lb of 231 remaining. I decided to just use it freely. Life's too short to save powder - or something philosophically deep like that.
Old January 7, 2015, 02:13 PM   #70
sawdustdad

W231 at Cabelas 1/7/15 at 2pm

gunbot is showing W231 at Cabelas right now.
Old January 7, 2015, 05:44 PM   #71
Nick_C_S

Cabela's W231 sold out; but still have HP-38 & HS-6

The W231 sold out about an hour ago; but they still have HP-38, and HS-6.

Thanks to sawdustdad's alert, I just bought 4lbs of HP-38; and 1lb of HS-6.

I am now completely stocked with all the powder I want/need.

Happy dance time!
Old January 7, 2015, 09:21 PM   #72
bluetopper

I'm getting my pistol powder at a local gun/pawn shop.
Old January 8, 2015, 02:11 PM   #73
bushrat1

Since you mentioned powders.....

Last week, on one of the forums I frequent, someone mentioned that Alliant was discontinuing some of their powders ( Red Dot in particular). Wish I could remember which one. Anyway. I just received this encouraging email from Alliant and thought I would share it with everyone. It's always nice to receive encouragement even if things aren't as good as they want you to believe.

John,
No truth whatsoever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is most likely one of the largest selling shotshell powders out there. Why on earth would anyone think it is discontinued?
The situation is looking better with each passing day.
If we look at the retail marked we have never really seen these shortage, whether it was for bullets, ammo, primers or powder, go longer than 18 months. We are now approaching that mark.
We also have three market indicators that lead us to believe there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The first of these is that ammunition supplies in the stores are better today than it was 8-9 months ago. We can now find just about any ammo we want in the stores.
The second indicator is that primer orders have dropped significantly.
Finally, gun sales have taken a nose dive in the last two to three months.
All of this leads many to believe that the supplies of powder should start showing back up on the shelves soon. Just recently, in my local town, I saw several bottles of propellant on the shelves that I had not seen in some time.
About all we can do is be patient, it won't last forever.
Thanks,

Shoot Straight
DuaneVB
CCI/SPEER/ALLIANT POWDER
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID

So, there you have it from the "horses mouth," so to speak.
Old January 8, 2015, 05:15 PM   #74
Nick_C_S

Good read bushrat1. Thank you.

Things are getting better. I was at the range today, and met a new friend and we were chatting during cease fires. He told me that he starting shooting only a few years ago and decided to start loading. He said that he has everything ready to go, except powder - he can't find powder (we were shooting pistol, so I assumed he meant for pistol). I told him to be patient because I see things getting better - finally.
Old January 8, 2015, 05:50 PM   #75
mikejonestkd

For once I was in the right place at the right time yesterday morning - picked up 16 pounds of Win 231 at Cabelas, went back to check on the availability 10 minutes later and it was sold out......