The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 27, 2019, 05:48 PM   #76
RC20

Nube: The problem with that approach is you wind up with expensive stuff to get your feet wet.

Nothing wrong with a low cost single stage press, the dies will work in anything.

Unless you get or feel you will into serious target shooting, you can do it with the basic tools.

Auto Powder dispensers are ncie (I hve tgwo) but it was a long time in deciding that it would speed up my process to make even one worht invesment.

I still have the Lyman 2000 which is kind of a poor mans auto dispenser (electronics scale with a trickler built onto it) - I could spin the trirkler after a charge as fast as the auto work. Worked great

But with the auto I could also seat bullets and with two (on sale) I can do it much faster.

The Lyman is not the cross check unit.

So are you going to do lots of shooting, plinking etc. Lots of shooting vs very accurate and the progressive presses being to pay.

I started out doing pistol load and I could get fine accuracy with a simple setup.

I did hunting loads and other than a larger press that sufficed.

In the end I wound up target shooting and that is when I amped up to an annealer, comparison and auto dispenser as well as the fine tuning of how I sized my rounds.

Now I would have bought a CoAxe press, previously it would have been a waster (and I am still using my 35 -40 year old RCBS Rock Chucker press.

So I want a slightly better press or do I want a Labradar to see my load speeds?

So it goes