The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 11, 2018, 02:02 PM   #76
Metal god

Testing the primers

The other day I finally got around to putting all those cases away that I used for the case capacity test . I got to thinking if by using new primers in the cases to seal the primer pockets . Did the water used in the test to fill each case damaged the primers ? I went ahead and pulled 5 random cases from the 44 tested and tried to discharge them in a rifle . All 5 went bang which I thought might be interesting to note here . I assume that the primer pocket being sealed and the flash hole being small likely did not allow water to get into the primer area do to surface tension . I did use some dish soap to reduce surface tension but did notice some when running the test .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; July 14, 2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old July 11, 2018, 06:55 PM   #77
Reloadron

I believe it may be Unclenick who has a really good drawing of a primer. This link shows a good rendition of a primer. Primer manufacturers call it a "foil disk" and it offers protection for the priming mix. You can literally submerge primers in a glass of water, dry them out and they will go bang.

Ron
Old July 14, 2018, 02:27 PM   #78
308Loader

This has been a good read, Thanks all.